The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
ecgate

Power Brakes/Vacuum????

Im looking to upgrade my brakes to power brakes but have some concerns with not having enough vacuum. What is the minimum vacuum you can run if you have power brakes. Do they make a booster that doesn't require as much vacuum to run. And if your wondering im running a bbc with a lunati voodoo cam.
ecgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
ecgate

Re: Power Brakes/Vacuum????

Anybody........
Old 06-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you're looking to go power brakes but worried about it you could look into hydro boost.Some here have done it for the same reason.The only caveat is that you need a power steering pump to run it,but if you have PS you can tap off of it.

Do a search for Hydro boost and you'll find more info.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
ecgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
If you're looking to go power brakes but worried about it you could look into hydro boost.Some here have done it for the same reason.The only caveat is that you need a power steering pump to run it,but if you have PS you can tap off of it.

Do a search for Hydro boost and you'll find more info.
I have looked at the hydro boost stuff. Too expensive. Correct me if Im wrong but cheapest setup I have found was like $900.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Darren MagooGardner

I would like to know the same thing. . how much vacuum does a brake boost need?
Darren MagooGardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I've paid attention to the threads about adding a booster, because I will be doing it before too long, and I'm yet to hear of any issues with not having enough vacuum, and that's a lot of different setups in the mix
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
MusicMan70

From the CPP tech article section:

Verify Enough Vacuum
1.Check the operating vacuum pressure when the engine is at normal operating temperature. There should be a minimum of 18 in. of vacuum. Vacuum may be increased by properly tuning the engine, checking for vacuum leaks and blockages in vacuum lines.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
MusicMan70

link to articles

http://www.classicperform.com/tech.htm
Old 06-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
jocko

what musicman said - 18 is about what you want to have, minimum. I've known folks to say 16 was enough, but that is the very lower end. If you have a lopey cam, expect to be on the borderline of having sufficient vac to operate the booster. It is possible to add a vacuum accumulator that will help power the booster in addition to the minimal engine vac, but I never really wanted to hang one of these things in my engine compartment.

I've never seen or heard of a booster that requires less vacuum than another one. I suppose there could be minor variations based on design (dual vs single diaphragm, etc) - but nothing is manufactured/advertised as being able to operate with less vacuum that I'm aware of. That is why the vac accumulators are made.

How much vacuum do you pull with your lunati cam on the bb?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
ecgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
what musicman said - 18 is about what you want to have, minimum. I've known folks to say 16 was enough, but that is the very lower end. If you have a lopey cam, expect to be on the borderline of having sufficient vac to operate the booster. It is possible to add a vacuum accumulator that will help power the booster in addition to the minimal engine vac, but I never really wanted to hang one of these things in my engine compartment.

I've never seen or heard of a booster that requires less vacuum than another one. I suppose there could be minor variations based on design (dual vs single diaphragm, etc) - but nothing is manufactured/advertised as being able to operate with less vacuum that I'm aware of. That is why the vac accumulators are made.

How much vacuum do you pull with your lunati cam on the bb?
If I remember right, before I pulled everything apart the engine had about 15-17 vacuum. That is why Im debating what to do because I don't want to dump $200 on a booster setup and have the thing not work.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
cubber

I have a Comp Magnum 292 cam, and my brakes are iffy at times. I think a vac can will fix it, but I am going to have to do something. I would see how your cam compares to mine. I also am running a 3000 stall converter, and I could have gone a little higher. I think my engine has a bit much cam for the cruiser it is, but it sounds mean, and has plenty of get up and go. If I had to drive it very often, though, I would want it much milder.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Boog
laying low

Some Tahoes come with an electric vacumn pump mounted near the booster. That might be something you could add to make up the low vacumn signal. My '03 Tahoe has one from factory.
I don't understand why a stock Tahoe would need the boost pump but I've seen it on other late model trucks too. Anyway, just an idea.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
ecgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Some Tahoes come with an electric vacumn pump mounted near the booster. That might be something you could add to make up the low vacumn signal. My '03 Tahoe has one from factory.
I don't understand why a stock Tahoe would need the boost pump but I've seen it on other late model trucks too. Anyway, just an idea.
That sounds like it would work. Thanks for idea. I wonder if anybody has done it and would have some part #s.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #14
Bad68pu

Ecgate - here's a thread that my brother did concerning the installation of a hydroboost set up. I did the same thing to my 68 with a Big Block and it works flawless. The cost wasn't bad cause we did all of the work ourselves using parts out of the wrecking yard. Hopefully this is helpful.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=497395
Posted via Mobile Device
Bad68pu is offline   Reply With Quote