The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
thepunisher

Compressor Input

I am going to upgrade my compressor. I currently have a Sanborn 60 Gal single stage bought from a regional hardware chain called Menards. It has served me well but I need a two stage. I have narrowed the field to two compressors but would like to solicit some feedback. Essentially the issue is cost, both long and short term.

Tractor supply sells this Ingersoll. Here is a link to this compressor on Ingersoll's own site.

Tractor supply will deliver this to the store for free since it is a normally stocked item, and I can get 10% off. So with tax and the discount it's about $1060. Obviously I would buy the startup kit and then another service kit in a year to get the full two year warrant. I could also get tractor supplies four year warranty for another $200 (most likely not though).

The other choice is this quincy. This would be $1,475 because I need lift gate service.

What I'm hoping is that some one with some knowledge of the Ingersoll can give some input. I am aware that the Ingersoll doesn't use the Baldor motor and that the pump is made in India or something. The Quincy is holy grail of compressors but is it worth the $400? And if so what specifically is the problem with the Ingersoll. There are a fair amount of old posts on the internet that talk about how Ingersoll has become equal with al qaeda. The problem that I have is that people use the anonymity of the internet to over state things. All manufactured things break, it happens.

What I want is a compressor that my girls will have to decide what to do with. This is how I foresee the conversation going.

Madyson "What are we going to do with Dad's old compressor, that things like 40 years old?"
Payton "He did love that compressor."
Madyson "Yes he did, remember the smile on his face when he put it in the garage?"
Payton "Yep, can you believe that it still runs like it did when when he bought it!"

Apparently I die when I'm 80. Anyway, looking forward to your input.