The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Big Jay

Fuel System Headache

I inherited a clean 79’ Chevy C10 from my grandfather. The truck sat lifeless for a period of 4 years before I could get around to bringing her back to speed. There was significant amount of gas left in the tanks so over the spread of the last couple of weekends, I removed and flushed the tanks, replaced the mechanical fuel pump/filter and installed a new fuel selector valve (I broke one of the valves during the un-install…GRIPES!). After filling her up with fresh gas and with a little help of starter fluid she roared right-up. I was able to drive her for 12 miles where I ended up parking her for a week. Now when I try to start her up again I get nothing!!!! Putting gas/starter fluid in the carburetor will get her started but she dies as soon as she sucks down what was put in the carburetor. When I pump the gas I can’t smell it. Do you think my brand new pump went out already??? Given my limited mechanic skills, I was hoping some of the guru’s on the forum can offer a suggestion or two.

Thanks!
Big Jay
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Axle

Re: Fuel System Headache

If you suspect the fuel pump, disconnect the line at the carb, stick on a clear hose and direct it into a container. Crank truck. If fuel comes out, pump works.

Odds are that the float is stuck in the carb not allowing fuel into it. You'll need to remove the top of the carb to service it. Cleaning it is probably going to be sufficient.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
86c20

if its a qjet. check the filter on the line in the carb. had that mess up on my monte. hard start wouldent go over 40 it sucked ass. cleaned every thing just to find out it was a 1.29 filter.
1978 monte carlo 350 350th with 2.73 gears. no rust. sc car
86c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

+1 on the fuel pump test and the filter. Easy to do method of process of elimination.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Big Jay

Hey Fellers,

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up doing a few things to get the truck running again. First I replaced the carburetor filter. In the process of removing the filter I damaged the carburetor to pump line. I stripped a bolt causing the line to pinch and rupture. In a furious rage, I pulled the fuel line out like an annoying weed. After my temper tantrum, I regained my composure and took a trip to O’Reilly’s (O, O, O, O’Reilly’s…..). Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. Equipped with a new (rubber) carburetor line, new fittings and a filter I went home, rolled up my sleeves and went to work. An hour later, I gathered the family around, hopped in the truck, and cranked the engine. I cranked and I pumped, I cranked and I pumped as the family started to dissipate one by one. The truck simply would not turn over. I gave up and called it a day.

The next morning I took all the lines off the pump and carburetor and looked for blockages. Everything was clean as a whistle. The only other place I wasn’t looking was the fuel selector valve. But that wouldn’t make any sense because 2 weeks ago I drove the truck from my grandfather’s place to mine without any issues (12 miles). Taking a closer look at the fuel selector valve I noticed that I installed the tank lines incorrectly. After re-routing the lines in their correct position, the truck fired right up. I am not sure how the truck ran so well 2 weeks prior, but I’m sure Grandpa, in spirit, was offering a helping hand.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Big Jay

Next steps: Tune-up, mufflers, body work, paint, wheels and fun!
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote