The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Downlow2xfo

Your father's truck

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! Thought in honor of Father's Day I'd start a thread to remember your father or grandfather. Post up what fond memories you have of them and their truck (vehicle)!
Posted via Mobile Device
Downlow2xfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
McCoyAZ

Re: Your father's truck

I lost my dad when I was just a kid way back in 1969.

But that year he had bought a brand new '69 GMC longbed, was a real pretty truck, and me being 14 years old and just a little bit of a risk taker, I decided one night I would take it for a test drive.

Back in those days we lived in the middle of nowhere and all the roads around were dirt and either muddy or dusty.

Well when pop woke up the next morning and saw his shiny new truck all covered in mud he started yellin for all of us boys to come outside.....

He was not a happy individual and I just knew I was going to get the beating of my life, but, my oldest brother stepped in and said it was he that had taken the truck out and if there was any punishment to be handed down, he was wailling to take it.

He was grounded for life :-)

Those were the days....
McCoyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
62-One-Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCoyAZ View Post
I lost my dad when I was just a kid way back in 1969.

But that year he had bought a brand new '69 GMC longbed, was a real pretty truck, and me being 14 years old and just a little bit of a risk taker, I decided one night I would take it for a test drive.

Back in those days we lived in the middle of nowhere and all the roads around were dirt and either muddy or dusty.

Well when pop woke up the next morning and saw his shiny new truck all covered in mud he started yellin for all of us boys to come outside.....

He was not a happy individual and I just knew I was going to get the beating of my life, but, my oldest brother stepped in and said it was he that had taken the truck out and if there was any punishment to be handed down, he was wailling to take it.

He was grounded for life :-)

Those were the days....
Great story. I wish I was around for those days. (My dad was born in 1969)
None of my family are really car people but my grandpa gave me his 86 Ford F-250 extra cab diesel with a host of custom options including a dually conversion. I did some repairs on it and drove it for a few months, then my ladies car blew up (almost litterally) so I let her drive the truck. Well after a few months she was in town and got t-boned by some one who ran a red light. It totalled the truck. My girls walked away with out a scratch, scared but unharmed. We towed the truck home and the next day I called my grandpa and told him what had happened. The only thing he asked was "are your girls ok?" he wasn't the least bit upset or concerened about the truck. That moment made me realise that cars and trucks aren't everything, it's all about family.

Thank your dads and grandpas today.

Happy fathers day to all the dads out there.
Posted via Mobile Device

'62 C10 SWB
'03 Express Van 5.3l Dead (parting out and using motor)
'99 Silverado 4.8l 5 speed 4wd
62-One-Ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Indian113

The first truck I can remember my dad having was a 57 Chevy 1/2 ton. When I was in High School he bought a 66 Step side with a 283 3 speed. That's part of the reason I have a 64 I love that body style. I guess GM blood run's deep in my family.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
gofastnut

I remember going with Grandpa and Dad to cut firewood in the truck I own now. Grandpa worked for Basic onion and garlic dehydration plant in King City, CA. The truck always had this subtle spice smell that's all but gone now. My grandpa was more of a dad to my dad since his parents lived across the country and we couldn't see them very often, they had a great relationship.
Those were some great times! I learned how to really stack firewood, use a chainsaw, and sharpen a chain, or a thousand. I also learned, even young what a man really was; not someone who cussed or had a swagger, no, someone who provided for and really cherished the family that God blessed them with.
Grandpa's been gone for 5 years or so now, I miss him. I'm really glad my dad and I have the relationship that we do, and I feel blessed to have all those wonderful memories with them both.
I love you Dad! Thanks for being a wonderful father and great example to me!
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345

Last edited by gofastnut; 06-16-2013 at 07:02 PM.
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

My grand pa owned a automotive shop in a very small town in NW Ohio when I was a little kid, I remember him working on the cars very well, I could clean the parts he took off the car and he acted like that was the best part ever. When I was a teen, I would call him and ask him questions about my car ( 68 Cutlass), he could diagnose I've the phone better than anyone I have ever saw! I sure loved that man, he is the reason I have these projects along with my dad, he can do anything. He has a parts business for 23-32. Chevrolet cars and trucks and he makes most if the parts himself. He is amassing also! I love you Dad!

Happy Father's Day to all of you fellows also, remember your the biggest male roll model to more kids that just yours!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 06-17-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
oem4me

Today I finally talked to the son of the man who bought my 1965 Suburban new. He told me the truck was used only sparingly for fishing and camping trips. It was garaged and pampered from day one, and it sat for a decade before being sold shortly after his dad's passing. Seems ol' dad apparently hung onto his beloved Suburban even after he was unable to drive.
- If yer listening ... No worries pop, I'll take good care of it for ya!
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
FetchMeAPepsi

I have two memories but I was pretty young for both so they're kinda short.

First, my dad had an old orange and white 68 (iirc) Chevy long bed fleetside pickup with a huge camper on the back. When I rode with him with those custom Daddy Arm seatbelts (karate chop at every stop light lol) he would gas on it and say, "You hear that son? That's 400 cubic inches of raw power. Listen to 'er run!" I thought that sounded like the space shuttle taking off. Also he was a smoker. I remember him with the window cracked and smoking a marlboro and catching a whiff of the newly lit cigarette blowing back in the cabin. To this day I can't help but like the smell of a newly lit cig, though I'm adamantly against smoking myself.

My grandfather had a 65 or so big green Apache. It was also a longbed fleetside monster, but someone had put big rubber on the stock steel wheels. At the age of 8ish he had to lift me up into the thing. And to watch him steer was funny. The steering was so worn out on it he had to spin it back and forth a half turn of the wheel to keep it between the ditches.

One day we were driving to town for something and we passed a freshly ran-over raccoon. He stopped the car in the middle of the old 2 lane highway and grabbed that old coon by the tail, flipping it into the truck bed. We brought it home and that's the day I learned to skin a coon and what a pelt was. We sold it for $5.00 to the local furrier and bought ice cream with the proceeds. I still think about that when I pass a coon on the road, though I haven't ever picked up one myself. Living in town I'm not sure I could find a furrier anyway. But maybe I could make a hat?

Anyway, thanks Dad and Grandpa for the experiences. You were truly a fantastic parent/grandparent and I couldn't have gotten any luckier had I custom ordered you two.

Thank you.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
earl84

Day late, but hey, what the heck.
I grew up in ND, and there are real winters up there. We were renting the house on a farm that was still operational, but the owner and his wife had moved into town. My dad had an old green Chevy, pretty sure it was a 64-66, but I was very young at the time. Anyway, we got one of the first snow of the year and he hooked up a toboggan (sp?) to the tow ball and pulled us 4 kids around the farm yard. It was so much fun. Not sure what happened to that old truck, wish I had it. Probably got sold, because he started having real bad heart problems about a year later, and couldn't work for the rest of his life. It was tough on a man of that generation to not be able to provide for his family, and I think it made him a little bitter, but that's another story. Great memory with that old truck.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
jcramsey

Cool thread...

My dad is still alive, which I am very thankful for. He's been a great teacher and example. Lots of good memories growing up helping him work on cars and goin to the junkyards somy brother and I could stick our little hands up through those small spaces to hold the back of a nut for him

My current truck (66 c10) was his for about 11 years, so it's pretty special to me.
Attached Images

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Downlow2xfo

Yea guys lets not limit this to Father's Day. Everyday is a good day to remember and honor them!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
61K10

my dad has been gone for many, many yrs. first truck i remember was a 1946 chevy (could have been a GMC) next a 53 chevy 1/2t then a 57 chevy 1/2t then a 61 corvair (caught fire and burnt up) next a 63 chevy 1/2t lb then a 65/66 3/4t camper special -- then a 69 3/4t chevy (coil spring rear with the overloads) the 69 is restored and is a DD for some friends of Dad. it's the wife's truck--------

my build is------------61K10 build
61K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Downlow2xfo

Yesterday was pretty cool for me. When I was 18 I bought a 74 plymouth roadrunner. Well I met my wife when I was 20 then came the kids and progress slowed. My father in law wasn't a huge car fan but he was always interested in my old roadrunner. We lost him at the age of 49 in November jus three weeks after he found he had pancreatic cancer. I'm 25 now and for the first time me my wife and the kids drove to the cemetery yesterday... In the plymouth. I jus felt satisfaction that I finally got to show him as he passed before I could get it going! Never take your time with them for granted... It sounds so cleashea but never has there been more truth to a statement!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
Downlow2xfo

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
nimrod

Dad owned a commercial painting company with many crews. Consequently, there was a somewhat steady (a couple per year) flow of new trucks coming through. Dad would use the new trucks as personal vehicles for about a month or two, prior to putting them to work. The truck of choice was the 3/4-ton fleetside, although the occasional 1/2-ton would come through. Dad attempted to teach me to drive stick on an old, '69 1/2-ton with about 250k miles on it. After the "lesson" Dad suggested that I only drive automatic cars...
Anyway, he currently has a '77 C10 Silverado Stepside with about 68k miles and a later-model 1/2-ton WT.
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
TJ's Chevy

My Dad is alive too and here is his 77 chevy 3/4 ton. And it has a 496 big block chevy. That thing is scary sometimes!
Attached Images

TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
bj383ss

My Grandpa's 64' with his favorite toy behind it. He called it Whitie. Had a 327 with a 5/8 cam and 3 on the tree. Notice he has the spotlight, headache rack, brush guard and CB antenna on top of the cab.

72' GMC Sierra Grande. He bought this new. Has the 275hp 350. That is me inside. My dad has this now it only has 112,000 miles on it.

A really bad shot of his 63'. He called it Browine. I was to young to remember this one. The Chris Craft is a 66' 25' with a 283 in it. It sounded so awesome when you cranked it in the morning. He kept it in the Marina. He only pulled it out for maintence.

I have a very fond memory of the 64 and the 72. The 72 will stay in the family.

Bret
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Some very cool photos. Thanks for sharing them.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
MARTYZ

This the one I learned to drive in, back roading with Dad when I was about 11or 12 yrs old, 65 long step, sorry about picture, took picture of an old Polaroid
Attached Images

MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

My dad has owned several through the years. The '64-66 C-10 short/fleet, small back window trucks are his particular favorites. I have a couple gallery albums with pics of past rides:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...7&ppuser=32530

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...y.php?cat=1743

His first '66 was bought before I was born, & I have known it all my life. I even took it for a stroll into the neighbor's ditch when I was about 2 years old, when I knocked the gear into neutral while not running. I'm told I was laughing when they found me. He tore this truck apart & had the top chopped in the early 90's, in anticipation of building a Pro-Street. Unfortunately life got in the way, & it has been stored in pieces since. This truck was also completely rust-free, a true gem these days. Sadly, the cab was stolen about 3 weeks ago. My dad had finally brought it out of storage after buying a restored rolling chassis/drivetrain. The cab was on his car hauler trailer, which we're positive was the intended item of theft. Unfortunately the cab was a victim as well. Just hoping we can find or get it back unharmed!

We had this '64 as I was growing up as well, & I believe dad bought it from the original owner. I think it originally had a 6-cylinder with the 3-on-the-tree, which dad used for a short while. He then swapped in the 327 from the silver '66 pictured above. This truck was his daily driver for a few years as well. We traveled everywhere in it, once even road-tripping to Orlando, FL with me & my brother riding in the bed on an air mattress. The camper top provided shelter from the rain & was equipped with small circulating fans. That's a trip I'll never forget! This truck later got benched due to an auto tranny swap. Sadly, it sat for years waiting for my dad to finish the process. It was later decided that it would become my first vehicle. Unfortunately that never happened, but I had intentions of bringing it back to life one day. But my dad sold it in '06 I think, & I was heartbroken to say the least.

This '66 beater, "Ole Blue", was also purchased in the '90s. It was always ugly but truly reliable at all times. This is the first truck I ever drove, taking short trips around our neighborhood circle before I was even legally able to be behind the wheel. It had a 350/Auto with a rear gear that wouldn't allow you to do much more than 55-60, which was screaming down the highway. It was used to haul junk, but it also served as a daily driver on many occasions. I remember my dad putting a heat lamp inside the cab during cold winter nights/mornings before he drove it to work. After acquiring my license, I would also use it on occasion to get from point A to B around town. During my Senior year of high school, me & a friend took it to our Senior party which was held in a field way out in the boondocks. On our way home, traveling down a gravel road in the dark of night, the lights went out. Man, that was a wild & scary experience, but luckily they came back on after we drove blind for a few seconds. Many good memories from that old beater, but it was also sold in '06 as well.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote