The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Steve Cole

Anyone running Magnaflow catback exhaust?

Looking to buy a Magnaflow exhaust system tonight for my built 350 (400 hp). I'm looking for something a little quieter than the flow master 40's but still has a deep growl when you want it to. I'm also concerned about drone noise ( don't want it !). Anyone have real world experience with these systems? This is the x pipe style as seen on the Classic Industries website. They are running 20 percent off but ends tonight.

Thanks,
Posted via Mobile Device
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Expat_dude

Re: Anyone running Magnaflow catback exhaust?

I have it on my truck but I am not running yet lol. Really nice high quality kit!

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../1970%20Chevy/
Expat_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
BlackedOut67shorty

A cat back exuast for a 67-72 c10?
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOut67shorty View Post
A cat back exuast for a 67-72 c10?
Posted via Mobile Device

Part number 16643 on their website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

There's a zillion mufflers out there for the sound you want. Sound has nothing to do with the pipe,so why pay for it?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-18-2013 at 10:01 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Steve Cole

Special-k, I wanted to hear the experiences of people who are actually using these systems, not some incoherent babble, but thanks anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
denz72

Steve just put this set up on my 72 had a dynomax dumped out the side got old quick so my son knows the R&D guy at Magnaflow he set me up with the xpipe system and now exits out the rear quality stuff all stainless very quite little rumble when you get on it no drone noise on the freeway hope this helps
denz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Ok,I edited my post for those with no sense of humor. As you can see I offered coherent advise as I have been doing for members for almost 9 years now. What I gathered from your request for information is you are looking for a way to gain a less noisy yet good flowing exhaust,which can be done other ways than off the shelf systems. As mentioned in my prior post,it's the muffler that determines the sound. You have to admit it reads oddly to see a cat-back system offered for trucks that never had them,hence the humor. I looked at Magnaflow's site and found the system you gave the number for. I'm confused at just where this system starts and why the "cat-back" label. The picture shows parts for a true dual system and cat-backs,from what I've seen on later trucks that came with a catalytic convertor,generally come off a single pipe behind the cat and split into a dual outlet. I just don't get it. This is your thread,but this site and all threads within are for all members to learn and that's why I'm asking and not telling. I hope this is coherent

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-18-2013 at 10:29 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Hey Steve,

I'm not running that exact kit, but close. I have an x-pipe (provided by local muffler shop) and dual 18" magnaflow mufflers, like those pictured in the part number you provided. Also running headers.

Being that it's very close to what you are looking at, I'll provide some feedback.

Drone. It's going to be there. I don't like done either, but it tends to be there are around 2200 rpm or so. It is tolerable (for me, at least). I had a '94 Vette about fourteen years ago and I put flowmasters on it. The most gawd awful drone I ever experienced in any car/muffler setup. The magnaflows are no were near that level of drone.

Startup is a low rumble. Nice tone at idle. It's not over powering loud when driving through the city. For the most part, I consider them tame for daily/street driving. Not stock quiet, but definitely not "look at me, I are loud!" either. Overall, a nice compromise.

Would I buy them again? Yes I would. They've been a perfect balance between obnoxious loud, unbearable drone and stock quiet exhaust.

One option you have. I would be surprised if you found them too loud. There is some drone, but it's not the worst I've heard. You could put in some glass packs in front of them, down the road, or even some turbo mufflers. I did this on my '78. 383 stroker with headers running Corsa DBs (before they discontinued them). Love the sound, but it's mind numbing loud. Put in some turbo mufflers before the Corsas, and it quietened it down quite a bit.

Good luck.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by denz72 View Post
Steve just put this set up on my 72 had a dynomax dumped out the side got old quick so my son knows the R&D guy at Magnaflow he set me up with the xpipe system and now exits out the rear quality stuff all stainless very quite little rumble when you get on it no drone noise on the freeway hope this helps

Thanks Denz72, that's good info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Steve Cole

Thanks BruthaMan for the great review. They sound like a good compromise and look like a quality product.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
wild4wheels

Before you order.. Ive got what appears to be real close to this set up- all welded but dumps right before the rear axle. I absolutely LOVE the sound- I have a nice rumble at low RPM's but super quiet at highway speeds. My problem is I have the long tube headers which sits WAY too low on a bagged truck. Not sure how much yours is lowered but ... I'll send you a PM.

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
slow-1

My son has a Magnaflow exhaust on his 06 Mustang....at certain RPM's the "drone" noise takes over your brain. Not the same application as yours. but the same brand. They sound GREAT by the way.

Did you buy them?
slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
CC69Rat

I just put 5"x22" long Magnaflow round type mufflers on my truck and it sounds awesome. Really quiet until you want it not to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=afSeC0uYtHw

It has a nice sound to it and no drone.. just a good Hot Rod sound. The pipes are 2.25, factory manifolds, then ran down and outside the frame rail. (I think this is the key to not having drone) The mufflers sit in that little pocket between the cab and the bed, right in front of the rear wheels, then up and over the rear axle. Personally, I think the drone comes in when the mufflers sit right behind the cab or even under the cab. Just my opinion. It kinda has a little popping sound to it in the video when I pulled it in the garage but I'm sure being in the garage makes it sound a bit louder than it really is.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #15
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post
My son has a Magnaflow exhaust on his 06 Mustang....at certain RPM's the "drone" noise takes over your brain. Not the same application as yours. but the same brand. They sound GREAT by the way.

Did you buy them?
No, I decided to do some actual research on exhaust systems before I lay down several hundred dollars on something I know nothing about. This is one of those things that if you make the wrong choice, you are reminded about it everytime you start the truck. I really need to hear a few systems before I make a decision.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #16
slow-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
No, I decided to do some actual research on exhaust systems before I lay down several hundred dollars on something I know nothing about. This is one of those things that if you make the wrong choice, you are reminded about it everytime you start the truck. I really need to hear a few systems before I make a decision.

Smart move.
Posted via Mobile Device
slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
sKnNyPpY

According to Summit this is a "crossmember-back" system. Obviously our trucks don't have cats, but the common terminology nowadays is cat back, primarily meaning not hooking all the way to the engine block. It would be worth a call to make sure they bolt up to the factory manifold, as it says "designed to work with original style exhaust manifolds or tubular headers." The pictures used are often stock images and not the final kit. Classic Industries has a good price but beware of shipping, freight could be upwards of $100 or more.

That said, I love my Magnaflow cat-back on my Nissan Sentra Spec-V, bolted right up and sounds nice and rich. It does drone a bit on the highway, but so did the factory exhaust. It cost about $400, so this is a real good deal in comparisson. I'm thinking of this same setup on my GMC as a bolt-on option without having to deal with an exhaust shop, because I'm not familiar with any of them and want to do "all my own work".
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
BlackedOut67shorty

Check youtube
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote