The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
izzy_Britton

Exclamation 86 Carb Replacement Question

My apologies if this has been posted before. I did do some looking for it but found nothing with my limited resources at the moment.

I am currently traveling out of town and my truck is acting strangely. I am unsure whether it is the carb, trans, or computer.

So my question is this: Assuming that it is either the carb or computer, can i swap out the carb with something better?

What carb can I install that will still run and can i install said carb in place of the computer controlled carb without replacing the distributor?

which carb would any of you recommend over the computer controlled q-jet that i MIGHT be able to buy in the local auto parts retailer?

I am about 250 miles from home, if i could replace the carb to get me home and it is a worth while replacement I would like to keep it installed. I do not need to worry about emissions controls or restrictions as i am smog exempt where i live.

Thanks in advance, any help is gratefully appreciated.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: 86 Carb Replacement Question

First, I would post here exactly what type of truck you have: 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, model, engine, trans, etc.

Others will disagree, but I have only had good luck with a professionally rebuilt factory carburetor. I would wait until I can give up the vehicle for a couple of weeks and send the carburetor out to one of the companies that specialize in carburetor rebuilds.

It sounds like you need to find a good mechanic wherever you are. I would look for one who specializes in old vehicles (restoration shop?), since most shops only work on computerized modern vehicles.

I would not buy a carburetor from a local parts shop. I would spend that money on getting a correct diagnosis from a good shop.

As long as your carburetor is not visibly leaking gas, then it is unlikely that you will get stranded just because of the carburetor. I would buy road service if you do not have it, just in case you break down on the way home.

Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
izzy_Britton

Good points.

86 SWB C-10 350/700r4 Scottsdale with crank windows and cruise control, brown interior. 95% original as delivered from dealer, 4 new(er) tires and owner installed oil and filters.

@tucsonjwt

You are correct that some would disagree with you about OEM carbs, i am one of those people. I am not yet stranded where i am at now. but repair or diagnosis is not really an option today, and rather than chance getting stuck here i would rather locate and install something that would be a better choice than what i current have installed.

Just looking for something better, it is too late today so i will have to try and limp it home tonight and to work for the rest of the week. she is sucking fuel at the rate of about 30 gallons per 250 miles so i am fairly confidant that if the carb is not the problem then the computer controlling the carb is.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

she is sucking fuel at the rate of about 30 gallons per 250 miles

That would be normal fuel consumption for me - with a 454 BB.

I have had 3 squares with aftermarket Edelbrocks, Carters, auto parts store rebuilds, etc., and a properly rebuilt qjet beats them all - but each to his own.

I had a nice discussion with a big online carburetor rebuilder who gave me some interesting advice. Don't use any fuel additives or dri-gas (Stabil, etc.,) because it eats the soft parts in the carb. Drive the vehicle at least once a week to engine operating temperature. If you take these precautions he said a carburetor should last indefinitely - at least 10=15 years or so without a rebuild- assuming that it was rebuilt properly with good quality parts in the first place.

Do you have road service?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
izzy_Britton

I think the biggest issue with this truck and particularly the carb and other wearable parts is that it sat for some 6+ years or so. I have put nearly 3000 miles on it since i bought it first of april. I have a gallon of fuel additive that i bought so that i could treat the fuel and clean the top end before i took it to the smog shop after i bought it but i never have used it because of my own ideas about these products.

I do have AAA but only good for 100 miles, if she doesnt act up or fail completely i will try to limp it home tonight, but if it gets worse than it already is i will limp it to within the 100 mile limit and call them.

once i get home i will try to locate and swap out the computer to see if the computer is the problem or the carb or something else. it runs GREAT at 60mph on cruise, above that it starts acting funny. I originally though i ran out of gas the first time it started acting up so i switched tanks. after switching tanks the problem didnt go away so i thought it was the transmission since i just had it serviced a few days before it started acting up. after driving it some more yesterday and again today i am convinced it is carb, carb computer, or feul related. after sitting for so long it could be any of those.

-Izzy
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
demok83

I just put an Edelbrock 1406 on my 1986 custom deluxe with the 305. I have had no problems at all, and I bought it from my local auto parts store. Looks great, and my truck is running great too.
demok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
izzy_Britton

That is great info demok83. i will look into that when i get home tomorrow.

and not that it is a huge concern to me at this point, but did you notice any power or performance increases? i only cruise when i drive, never got rod it. and you said just put it on? have you had a chance to check economy against your old carb yet? differences?

also did you have to change out your distributor or anything else?

-Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by demok83 View Post
I just put an Edelbrock 1406 on my 1986 custom deluxe with the 305. I have had no problems at all, and I bought it from my local auto parts store. Looks great, and my truck is running great too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
demok83

No, I didn't have to change my distributor. I haven't checked it mileage wise either because when I brought the truck the q- jet carbbombit was bad, needing a rebuild. If you buy the edelbrock 1406, be sure to buy the spread bore to square bore adapter plate with it. I bought the Mr. Gasket adapter plate and it fit like a charm. The edelbrock should be pretty well tuned when you get it, but it comes with a DVD to give a little further help ( not that useful). On a totally aesthetic note, the edelbrock with a chrome air cleaner just looks soooooo sweet under that good. So much better than that ugly quadrijet! Good luck man
Posted via Mobile Device
demok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
izzy_Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by demok83 View Post
I did this same thing this past weekend. I also put on a new HEI distributor. The truck runs better than it has since i bought it april first and i would dare say, it probably runs better than it has ever run since driven off the assembly line.

I will not know for a week or more how the fuel economy has changed if it has indeed changed. tomorrow will be the first full tank (pay day) since the carb change. I have the carb tuned for economy, since i drive like an old man anyhow.

Thank you for the recommendation of the 1406, with all the options out there i am sure i would have come up with a solution but i am all for the 1406 because of the lack of any sort of emissions control functions. I told the parts store it was for my boat, they had issue selling it to me when i told them it was for my truck.

-Izzy
Old 08-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
INSIDIOUS '86

The carter/weber/edelbrock carb is a real bullet proof design. They can sit forever and still be good. (At least before ethanol). I've always preferred holley cause they are so tunable but they aren't a beginners carb there's a lot to learn on them and yet they are so simple. But I always have an afb carb as a fall back or spare to trade or use or to replace a Jo Kiley on a vehicle so I can keep the holley haha.

Since your in cali you I'm sure you have emissions. You can bypass a lot of the factory presets and change back before another emissions inspection
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Jabes1

If you're looking for a replacement for smog purposes you might want to PM JCampbell. He has the control box for it too...
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
izzy_Britton

I actually went with the 1406 because it is lacking all the smog connections. my truck is registered up in the hills and is smog exempt until i sell it. The carb replacement in my view is a temporary thing. I plan to swap in a 5.3 fuel injected engine sometime next summer or so. I just really needed something that was not going to leave me on the side of the road at any given moment. the problem with the truck and the issues it was having was not the carb or the distributor exactly, it was a problem with the ignition cutting out and then in again very quickly and at random. a problem that could have been solved maybe with a new control box (ecm).

but i have replaced the carb and distributor and the truck runs like a dream and i have since removed the air pump, miles of vacuum lines and i am working out how to remove all the wires to all the misc engine components that are now not needed as a result of the swap. this truck will never go back to a smog-able truck with this engine in it.

in short i am VERY happy with the mods done and the way the truck drives and i dont worry anymore about whether or not i am going to make it to or from work each day.

-Izzy