The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
roxxor92

questionsfor my first project

starting my first truck project in about a month or two, just looking for some advice on where to start, planning on building a chevy or gmc reg cab short box to my liking mostly restored with some custom. i live in northern michigan so trucks without some rust are hard to find, so im wondering #1 am i better off to just find the best body i can locate near here and weld/put new parts on to repair the rust, or am i better off driving all the down south and getting a rust free starting body? also wondering the pros/cons of 73-87 and 88-98. i like both but 73-87 seems to be the preferred years. and any other advice would be greatly appriciated, i am 21 and looking for a new hobby besides drinkin/drugs, and im gonna build somthing that puts all these cheap cars with spinners to shame. i also am not rich and paying for it all myself so its going to be a slow long term project. i make okay money but not a ton so any tips that will save me some money getting started would also be .
you guys will be seeing and hearing lots more from me, i like to do my homework before i start my project
roxxor92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: questionsfor my first project

Ive always driven my trucks so I decided to make mine the most useful I could first.. I got it where I had the rotted nose replaced then doors then I took the trans out and rebuilt it then ordered a crate motor to replace the oil consuming 305 then I went into major paint and body and interior

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor92 View Post
starting my first truck project in about a month or two, just looking for some advice on where to start, planning on building a chevy or gmc reg cab short box to my liking mostly restored with some custom. i live in northern michigan so trucks without some rust are hard to find, so im wondering #1 am i better off to just find the best body i can locate near here and weld/put new parts on to repair the rust, or am i better off driving all the down south and getting a rust free starting body? also wondering the pros/cons of 73-87 and 88-98. i like both but 73-87 seems to be the preferred years. and any other advice would be greatly appriciated, i am 21 and looking for a new hobby besides drinkin/drugs, and im gonna build somthing that puts all these cheap cars with spinners to shame. i also am not rich and paying for it all myself so its going to be a slow long term project. i make okay money but not a ton so any tips that will save me some money getting started would also be .
you guys will be seeing and hearing lots more from me, i like to do my homework before i start my project
This being your first post let me be the first to say
Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
roxxor92

thanks, and yeah i will probably go about it that way aswell. its going to be a daily or semi daily driver, road truck. if i buy a body thats not running my first priority will probably be making it driveable first. then taking care of rust.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Hi,
and welcome to your new addiction lol
thought about 4X2 or 4X4?
summer only?
more stock or custom stuff in the end result?
may want to look for a "rusty/trusty"
(ad reads runs good, needs body work)to start/learn with
may get some good options/interior cheaper,get a better shell later
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
roxxor92

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
Hi,
and welcome to your new addiction lol
thought about 4X2 or 4X4?
summer only?
more stock or custom stuff in the end result?
may want to look for a "rusty/trusty"
(ad reads runs good, needs body work)to start/learn with
may get some good options/interior cheaper,get a better shell later
most likely 4x4 since its northern mi and its gonna be my driver, i would love to do a 4x2 summer truck but i just cant see me affording two vehichles right now lol.

thats another question i had. i know how hard salt is on any vehichle, im gonna try to store the truck as much as i can when its prime salty roads. but if i do want to drive it in the winter is there some way to protective coat the whole underside/rockers? i will probably lift it as opposed to drop it. dunno if that helps out or not. and as far as how much custom most of it will probably be newer stuff, id like to keep the older general "look" tho. same body, same grill, same interior/panels. all chrome metal probably. bumpers im not sure yet.