The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
AndrewJoey

How do I lower a '66 3/4 ton GMC ?

Ok, this is my first post here. Looks like a great forum. Sorry in advance if I ask any dumb questions, this is my first truck. So I'm new to this.

I just picked up a '66 GMC longbed with a class B GVW weight rating.
My father in law knows old trucks and will help me out, but I wanted to know if lowering the rear by removing leafs and adding drop shackles is ok?
I'm going low budget, but I want it safe too. I won't be hauling any heavy weight, how many springs can I remove? Or is there a better way? I don't want to mess with flipping it if I don't have to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
AndrewJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Downlow2xfo

Re: How do I lower a '66 3/4 ton GMC ?

I've got a one ton and I too am new but I am doing the flip. I'm also gonna notch the frame but one thing I'm doing that u may consider is have the springs de arched. That will retain ur ride quality. Be careful when removing springs u may end up going so low that u have to remove the bump stops or even notch the frame. Again there's a lot more experienced guys on here than me but I've found very few 1 ton and 3/4 experts. The spring packs are quite different. Do you have the overload pack on top of your leafs? By the way as far as which ones to take out I've heard u need to alternate them from the main spring outward and retain the flat outer leaf. Could be wrong but be careful going low is addictive... In 3 weeks I've bought the truck, z'd the frame, cut the coils, flipped the rear, de arched the springs, and now working on body drop because after every step I would look and say it needs more lol! Check mine out u may find something useful
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584520
Posted via Mobile Device
Downlow2xfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
AndrewJoey

Cool truck, funny I think we are on the same page. I'm going ratrod too. I'm not tearing into mine as much as you did to yours though. I'm leaving the patina and going to clear coat the blue as well. Just trying to figure out wheels, tires, and lowering. I'll try to post a few pics, not sure how yet.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
AndrewJoey

Here's a few more pics now that I've figured out the pic thing. The engine is a 351e, runs and drives, but needs a tune up.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Downlow2xfo

Nice truck man perfect canvis!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
AndrewJoey

Thanks bro, that's what I thought. I'm stoked to get this back on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
hemifalcon

Andrew... I think "ratrod" is the wrong term for your truck.. If that thing was polished and cleaned with the bed re-done in a barn wood or new wood with a grey finish--that'd be the right way to finish the truck.. Lowering an 8-lug truck that has every capacity to "work"--is pretty lame.. That truck should be cleaned up and left as is. Mother nature took almost 50 years to give it that character which NO other truck has. I say you should save that truck's appearance and enjoy the fact that it's still wearing the original paint and great "worn" appearance..
But-it's your truck...

And it's story of being 'saved'
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=631495
hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
Budman56

I have heard a lot of guys here on the forum say good things about porter built, you may want to check them out for dropping your truck, http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.com/?cat=3

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Bomp

Welcome to the forum.
Nice looking truck.

If I may make one helpful suggestion.
Write down what you would like to accomplish with your build.
Keep it real, close to what your capabilities and finances can cover.
Keeping your truck fun to work on and driving safely is always a plus.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
AndrewJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifalcon View Post
Andrew... I think "ratrod" is the wrong term for your truck.. If that thing was polished and cleaned with the bed re-done in a barn wood or new wood with a grey finish--that'd be the right way to finish the truck.. Lowering an 8-lug truck that has every capacity to "work"--is pretty lame.. That truck should be cleaned up and left as is. Mother nature took almost 50 years to give it that character which NO other truck has. I say you should save that truck's appearance and enjoy the fact that it's still wearing the original paint and great "worn" appearance..
But-it's your truck...
I know, I totally get what your saying. I do agree with you to a point and I apologize to the purists out there. One thing is cool though about trucks we all have our own style and likes, this isn't my truck yet. After I've worked on it, swore at busted bolts, and made it my own, it will be my truck. I'll treat it right, you'll see. It would be boring to leave it as is, and I don't need a work truck so hotrod, ratrod, or whatever people want to label it as is the direction I'm going. I do appreciate all opinions though, thanks for compliments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
AndrewJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Nice looking truck.

If I may make one helpful suggestion.
Write down what you would like to accomplish with your build.
Keep it real, close to what your capabilities and finances can cover.
Keeping your truck fun to work on and driving safely is always a plus.
Thanks, I totally agree. I did make that list, I've tried to do at least one thing a day. An oil change is next on the list. I think I'll learn a lot on this project, my 9 year old daughter has been too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifalcon View Post
But-it's your truck...
I have to agree. I hate to see another "original survivor" truck loose the "original survivor" status. Especially a GMC, which is approx.6 times harder to find than a Chevy. IMO, its your truck......., and your free to spend a fortune re engineering the wrong type vehicle for a street rod type project. (shortbed Chevy would be the right type of vehicle for your plans).
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
AndrewJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
I have to agree. I hate to see another "original survivor" truck loose the "original survivor" status. Especially a GMC, which is approx.6 times harder to find than a Chevy. IMO, its your truck......., and your free to spend a fortune re engineering the wrong type vehicle for a street rod type project. (shortbed Chevy would be the right type of vehicle for your plans).
Well, unfortunately I have to work with what I was given. I'm in Washington so if someone wants to trade me the "right" vehicle for what I want to do, let me know. All I'm doing is lowering it a little bit, getting rid the split rims for the same size steel rims, replacing the rotten wood, I'm leaving the original paint and doing nothing to the interior because it's nice. If that is ruining the "survivor" status, oh well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Downlow2xfo

Right on man you gotta do what u want... When you see a vehicle and become the owner you kno exactly what u wanna do from that first glance. The hell with Barrett Jackson Russo and Steele all original matching numbers... If u wanna paint it pink put an ice cream cone on top and call urself the pinky dinky man I say GO FOR IT. Although I would laugh along with a lot of others it's all about how you and ur truck connect! Good luck I'm subscribed and down for whatever route you and ur ride choose!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
19666Trucker

lucky for you 3/4 owners get rims is easy most 8 lugs will fit and i f look on cl you may find aset with good tires to, i had 16.5 no got 16's, from 96 chevy they look funny but i hoping to cover with set of moon disc, those gmc are leaf spring so you find spring shop to re-arch the the springs og et new one flip the axle if the springs are on top it you flip have axle ride on the spings, try gmc pauls here has stuff the heavy trucks, the paint on it nice so the west coast mirrors going stick my on tomorrow, build what you want and drive it
19666Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJoey View Post
All I'm doing is lowering it a little bit, getting rid the split rims for the same size steel rims,
IMO, its very hard to improve on the original factory look, but your welcome to try.Here is an excellent example of one of the very few clean original '66 GMC 3/4 tons on this site .http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+gmc+3%2F4+ton Don't say you were never warned: projects usually don't end with a little lowering, that's just the start of the money pit which you will be lucky to get a 50% return on your investment ( if you ever decide to sell )on a vehicle that doesn't have the mass appeal of a shortbed Chevy.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downlow2xfo View Post
Right on man you gotta do what u want... When you see a vehicle and become the owner you kno exactly what u wanna do from that first glance. The hell with Barrett Jackson Russo and Steele all original matching numbers... If u wanna paint it pink put an ice cream cone on top and call urself the pinky dinky man I say GO FOR IT. Although I would laugh along with a lot of others it's all about how you and ur truck connect! Good luck I'm subscribed and down for whatever route you and ur ride choose!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup. I absolutely 100% agree. Let everybody know you've arrived and are ready to PARTY!
Attached Images

oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #18
Downlow2xfo

Wow that's ones deffinately one of a kind lol! Hey and guess what when u get done it will be even more rare that the original survivors because there won't be another like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Downlow2xfo; 06-23-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
AndrewJoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
IMO, its very hard to improve on the original factory look, but your welcome to try.Here is an excellent example of one of the very few clean original '66 GMC 3/4 tons on this site .http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+gmc+3%2F4+ton Don't say you were never warned: projects usually don't end with a little lowering, that's just the start of the money pit which you will be lucky to get a 50% return on your investment ( if you ever decide to sell )on a vehicle that doesn't have the mass appeal of a shortbed Chevy.
That is one sweet truck, I agree. I checked out a thread on longbed fans here on this forum and found a bunch of truck owners that did what I am planning to do, which was cool. I will hopefully nickel and dime ($$$) this over the next few years into a reliable daily driver. I know it will never sell for the time and money I put into it, but I never plan to sell it, I have a '61 Corvair van I'll get rid of first.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Lowering the front is easy with springs and or spindles. Of course dics brakes are manditory with the spindles. The rear of a GMC with leafs is a little more difficult. I would say a set of the longest shackles you can fit under the bed, and then remove a couple leafs, and see how she sits. You have to be careful how many leafs you remove, or you will get bad spring wrap on acceleration.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #21
creep
Registered Loser

A 1/2 ton conversion might be a good option for you. If you can find a 1/2 ton crossmember and suspension somewhere they are a direct bolt in. If I remember correctly the 3/4 ton carrier bearing crossmember already has the holes to bolt in the trailing arm brackets so you might be able to get the axle, trailing arms, trailing arm crossmember brackets, springs, spring perches and panhard bar and brackets from a donor truck to bolt in with little to no mod/fab. Maybe someone who has already done the swap can clarify that for you. One thing I would definitely swap over is the rear cab mounts.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
hemifalcon

Howabout this idea... You want a lowered truck... The 1/2 ton's are better suited for that.. YOUR truck is pretty clean and you talk about "working with what you were given".. I'd suggest working on what you were given, leaving it in the "survivor" status. Then-sell it and get yourself a 1/2 ton and modify the hell out of it with the money saved on selling the 3/4 ton.. Just a thought.

And it's story of being 'saved'
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=631495
hemifalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
tincan1966

I don't understand why the mass opinion is that only shortbed 1/2T trucks are worth doing anything with. True- they do sell better, -most buyers aren't wanting a "truck" so to speak. But so many good LWB are being cut up to make them.
There's alot of lowered 1T dually's that still work every day, hauling trailers, etc. Lowering a vehicle does not render it useless. It also doesn't mean it loses value either.
Personally I wouldn't own an all original truck- because all you have is a shiny covering over 1960's technology and parts-which in today's world are inadequate for every day use.
With the amount of parts available, anything can be done to make your truck the way you want it.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
ob1monkey

I would purchase a shakle and hanger kit, that will get 4in lower in the back if not slightly more, in the front just get a 2 inch drop spring. that way you can always put it back to stock and get the purists of your back. a 2/4 drop on a c20 that you still plan to pull with will ride great and look good. if you down size the tires just a little on the newer steel rims it will appear lower. ultimatley do what you want with your truck! if you purists have a problem with that then PM him an offer and you can then do what you want with it. Mine is bagged with no notch and stock arms, 2inch spindles. any point and time I could get springs and stock height spindles and nobody would ever know it was lowered.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
AndrewJoey

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I'll dive into this in a couple weeks and post pics of the progress. I think there's support for both leaving it as is and lowering it and making something cool and unique. I'm building this for myself and my father in law, whose happens to be an old school hot rodder, so as long he approves that's all that matters. Funny thing is, the more I look at pics of done projects, I like the lowered longbeds better than the short beds.
Posted via Mobile Device