The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
mrucereto

My new 1970 Blazer

Tomorrow I am picking up a 1970 Blazer. This will be my first project so I was very picky to make sure I wasn't too far over my head. (And because I was picky the wallet is much lighter than I would have liked). As with other threads I've read, I started out lookin for a Bronco, and then fell in love with the Blazer.

I am going to apologize now as I will probably blow up this board with questions and advice along with requests for pics for ideas from you other members...

I plan to have a little fun in my new ride before I start doing things to it. It currently has 33-13.50-15 super swamper tires. I want to drive it around town, so I was goin to get some AT's. I feel like with the lift on it right now (5" suspension with 2" body), the tires look way too small.

So here are my first questions about the tires:
Keep 15" rims or go larger?(16 or 17?)
Go with 35" tires?
Stay with 33" and remover 2" body? (Leaning toward removing the body lift anyway)

Greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
mrucereto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
SONOSADSACK

Re: My new 1970 Blazer

mrucereto first off congratulations on the new ride. I would absolutely as you said have fun with it as is before doing anything to it. Doing things typically results in “while I’m at it” or “If I’m already this far I might as well…” and before you know it’s in pieces all over your garage and the nice weather is coming to an end. Ask me how I know. As to your tire wheel lift opinion question;
“Keep 15" rims or go larger?” Keep the 15”s. Now I may be a bit old school but I think 15” wheels look great on these old trucks and you already own them. They are always an easy change later once your wallet gets a little heavier.
The tire size and body lift may need to be considered as one. Without changing your suspension lift, going to 35” tire may necessitate the body lift. If it were mine I’d determine what gear it has first and then, if it makes sense I would ditch the body lift and swampers for a nice set of 33” ATs. That’s my .02!

We also need more pics once shes home
SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
mrucereto

Thanks for your $0.02. I was worried about the lower body and the 35's. wasn't sure if anyone else may have a similar set up.

I've seen a few posts on these pages and on other forums debating the time and requirements to remove body lifts. I want to remove the lift first and check out the look with the current 33's. is this something that can be done in an afternoon? Will I have to shorten anything up since I already have the suspension lift?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
70-K5
Account Suspended

So you can see something fairly close I've got a 70 as well with 4" rancho lift springs up front and 35" tires on 15" rims. IMHO it is perfect...

No issues with tire rubbing.
70-K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
mrucereto

Thanks 70-K5. I think that does look really good! I've decided to take the body lift off and check it out with the 33" swampers and make my decision from there. This image you sent will definitely help me make my decision.

Just a quick update based on a comment that SONOSADSACK made... I got her home and new she had two leaks, so I immediately thought "Those are just a couple of gasket fixes, I'll take care of those this afternoon and then have some fun with it." WRONG! I found another issue that is going to prevent me from finishing it right away. Luckily I still have yet to get it plated, so I should get the problems fixed by the time I get the plates on her. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
SONOSADSACK

Mrucereto, assuming nothing was modified when the body lift was installed you should be all good. No shortening or modifying. How long it will take depends on many things such as; carpet, bed liner etc. installed or not, how free are the bolt/nuts, are you working with hand tools and a bottle jack or air tools and a hoist/lift, and then there is you. Way too many variables. Definitely doable in a weekend though. 70-K5 is correct and many here have or are running the 35”/4” combination without issue. I believe the offset or back spacing of the wheel you use has a role in the equation. The deeper the wheel the more likely or the more potential you will have for contact between front tire and fender at lock. I too ran this combination and only used the truck for street use. Occasionally under the right circumstances I would have contact. BTW the springs were new at the time.
Attached Images

SONOSADSACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
70-K5
Account Suspended

For the Back Space question I've got 4.5" on a 10" rim.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
docstheman

Congrats on your new ride! Looks great. I am partial to the larger diameter rims, but they are right. Wait til something comes along at a steal or til you just have the money lying around. I am stock right now, but am putting 35" tires with 20" rims with a 4" lift soon. I found mine on craigslist for cheap. I haven't put mine on yet. Hope they fit.
docstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
mrucereto

Well, I didn't take SONOSASDACK's advice... I knew better. When I got her home, I noticed that she had a few leaks. All of them appeared to be gaskets. So I thought I'd tackle one before I got her tagged and street legal. I thought I was picking the easy one and at the same time verify the rear end gear ratio... but when I took the cover off of the rear diff, I discovered two bolts were sheared off and stuck in the holes. After my multiple attempts to extract the bolts, I ended up breaking an easy out in one, and the rethread out in the other. Now all I want to do is put the cover back on, ignore the other leaks and enjoy my new ride!
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
70-K5
Account Suspended

At least the bolt holes are on the upper half of the cover

Looks like you've got a posi unit in there too, be sure to use a gear oil with a friction additive!