The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
sasquatch58

Unhappy aftermarket grille alignment

hi folks, I have a problem fitting the sides of my aftermarket grille to the fenders. My questions are. do aftermarket grilles fit like oem,if so do I need to try to get the fenders to go in so the grille frame fits flush to the fender from top to bottom.now the grill doesn't want to fit over the vertical lip on the fenders.I hope this description make sence.if I don't get any replies I will try to take pics.any help would be appreciated,thanks
sasquatch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
cheyenne shortstep

Re: aftermarket grille alignment

Pretty much anything aftermarket does not fit like OEM, the grilles don't fit worth a crap.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Don Quixote

My experience with grilles has also been very dismal. I was excited when I got my new GMC grille but it fit so badly that when someone gave me a billet Chevy grill I grabbed it and put it on although I bought the truck for the 4 eyes. Such is luck.

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Well, I replaced my factory grille with a factory used grille, and it was a pain to fit. You just have to take it a step at a time. Tighten one bolt, go to the other side, jimmy with it, tighten that bolt half way, etc. keep going and eventually you should get it to fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
cheyenne shortstep

No you can tighten, untighten, bend, twist and hit it with a hammer but an aftermarket grille will never fit like OEM. You can spot a repop grille from 4 blocks away, they don't line up to the fenders. I deal with repop parts every day and none of it is direct fit.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
No you can tighten, untighten, bend, twist and hit it with a hammer but an aftermarket grille will never fit like OEM. You can spot a repop grille from 4 blocks away, they don't line up to the fenders. I deal with repop parts every day and none of it is direct fit.
Right, but the fact still remains that even factory grilles are hard to bolt in. I know. I've done it. I just don't want the op to get discouraged, thinking that the grass is WAY greener on the factory grille side, because even those are a challenge to fit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

OEM, NOS, repop; they are all hard to get aligned. Make sure your body and radiator mount are correct first.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
cheyenne shortstep

Mister-B, talk to me when you've dealt with a couple more trucks/cars than just the one. The fact is the grass is way greener on the OEM side, you were able to get your grille to fit with a little adjustment. NO amount of adjusting will get that aftermarket grille to fit.
I'm speaking from experience having dealt with both OEM and aftermarket parts for many years now on many different makes and models cars/trucks. I tell my customers to buy OE whenever possible, makes my job easier.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne shortstep View Post
Mister-B, talk to me when you've dealt with a couple more trucks/cars than just the one. The fact is the grass is way greener on the OEM side, you were able to get your grille to fit with a little adjustment. NO amount of adjusting will get that aftermarket grille to fit.
I'm speaking from experience having dealt with both OEM and aftermarket parts for many years now on many different makes and models cars/trucks. I tell my customers to buy OE whenever possible, makes my job easier.
You assume this is the only vehicle I've ever worked on? Lol. Not true. Not by a long shot.

Yes, OEM is better. I buy OEM whenever possible. Yes, OEM will fit better. Does it mean an OEM grille will just slide in like butter without any hassle? No. Your advice isn't very helpful to the OP. you're basically saying he's screwed unless he buys an OEM grille. I'm saying that while an OEM grille would fit better, they aren't without their challenges too, so just hang in there and eventually he'll get it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
leddzepp

I have never seen an aftermarket grille for one of these trucks even come close to fitting properly. You will need to adjust and tweak an OEM grille to fit, just like any sheetmetal part that has been removed from its original location...but the point is you can get it to fit properly with some work. An aftermarket grille will not fit the same no matter how much you adjust it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Well this may explain why I have some much trouble putting socks on a chicken. Anyone ever try that?

I have also had my fair share of grill installation form both OEM and Aftermarket and just like everyone else, I agree that the aftermarkets do fit like socks on a chicken.

There are some factors to consider. It is all a system and if any of it is out of place or mis aligned, the grill shell will never fit correctly. Especially the frame off builds where every part is a part from another truck or aftermarket or a combination of both. Do you know how far a core support will move around when the mounts are loose? That alone will have a huge effect on how well a grill shell fits because it can move the position of the front of the fenders.

On the other hand, if you have a truck that has been a one owner and never been apart and you just simply want to change the grill shell with another OEM, it should fit with out much hassle.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 AM   #12
sasquatch58

thanks guys. I went by friends shop today to help put the hood on the cab(was painted separate from the cab}He is a dynamite body man with 30 + years experience and really takes pride in his work.But it is his first chevy c-10 restoration.he's doing a an awesome job on the body and paint work.I printed the info that Mister-b posted and gave it to him and he understood what Mister-B posted and corrected the problem.We had to remove the grille assy/loosen core support and longate grille brace to fender mounting holes to get grille to go in at bottom. Mind you I put core support and sheet metal back on truck not worrying about sheet metal lining up so I could drive it until he could get it into his garage to do the full restoration. He had 2 restorations going on in his garage when I asked him to do mine. Thanks mister-b ,you were right on time.So guys aftermarket grille don't line up perfect, but come real close after minor mods and proper sheet metal alignment.thanks again guys{and gals} for making this forum TOPS on my list.

Last edited by sasquatch58; 06-30-2013 at 02:07 AM.
sasquatch58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
GMCPaul

The aftermarket grills we carry can all be installed to achieve a perfect fit. I've received pictures of our customers trucks winning shows with every style of grille we sell. Here's a pic of JK Curtis's 72 GMC truck winning the 2006 All truck Nationals at Carlisle PA.
His almost entire front end is all aftermarket, and all trim pieces are aftermarket. Those OEM grilles didn't fit perfect on the assembly lines either they were made to fit within specs during assembly and this is done by adjusting all related parts. You can't just take one grille from one truck and throw it on another to get a perfect fit every time. It takes adjustments to achieve this.
I'll try to dig up some of our customers award winning trucks with our grilles installed later if I can get a little time after church and before I head out to take my grandkids on a boating/fishing picnic.
Paul @ GMCPauls.com
Attached Images

GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

Wow...that chick is smokin!

Carry on with the grille talk.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel