The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
sourkraut

hood hinge hell, help!

I am having a heck of a time trying to get my hood aligned right. The truck was hit on the right hand side in the very front and had everything shifted to the left. Got everything straightened out pretty good but my hinges were bent, so i got 4 pairs from special-k to find a good set. Took the springs off all to find the ones with the least amount of play and mounted themand the hood. Now iam having issues with the back of the hood not going down all the way and to the same spot. I have to go to each side at the rear and push down? Is this miss alignment on my part or worn hinges? My oe ones did not do this but I had taken the springs of them and they have the exact same play, movement as 2 sets that I got from special-k? At a loss here and need some help.

sourkraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: hood hinge hell, help!

To get the back down open the hood, loosen the three bolts that attach the hinge to fender (both sides). Now push the hood up till the hinges stop moving, then push it open a bit more to pre-load the hinges, then tighten hinges. You will need two people to do this. Now SLOWLY lower the hood and watch to make sure that it doesn't hit on either side or the rear. It may take a few tries to get it to sit just right height wise. You may need to adjust the hood front to rear to allow for proper clearance with the cowl.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
chevytruckluver
Eat, Sleep, Drive a Chevy

If your only problem is the back of the hood is too high I agree with LockDoc you need to lower the hinge in the rear, follow his instructions. I had to ream the hood hinge bolt holes a little on mine to get the hinge to go as low as I wanted.
I would only ad that if you were hit in the front and the impact was straight back toward the cab nevermind but if the impact was from the right side towards the left or vice-versa the core support could have shifted over and cause the hood not to align along each side.
good luck

72 Short Step
57 "big window" short step
chevytruckluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
sourkraut

Thanks guys, will try the preload procedure. The will go low enough in the rear it is after it is opened it will not seat back down all the way.
I have shifted the core side to side to get a happy medium and good lines. Trouble is only with the rear of the hood, hopefully till i try your suggestions. Thanks and will report back with how i make out today.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Sammy

It will work if the small sloppy link rivets are not too worn out. GMC Paul mentioned before of someone who can rework them. Might be worth while to start just having a spare set rebuilt if you have too much trouble with them rather than investing in replacemnts.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
midniteblues

if the rivits are loose i've bought some time with them by pressing them in a shop press. of course it takes some setup time so you only squish the rivit an not anything else(i've only done this on camaro hinges but they'er all basicly the same an it worked great).if its only the rear of the hood locdoc has your cure.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
sourkraut

Yes the rear only, was able to get it really close, i had never preloaded the springs after taking them off. Still have some left to right adjustments to make but i think in the park now. I might get them rebuilt once i tear apart for paint.