The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Spartan

vin,serial,production number questions

I was curious. i have looked at my numbers plenty of times. i went to look at the pillar plate and noticed my serial number is really high so i started wondering if the are numbers stating production of trucks in 69 - how many total. Also on the plate at the bottom is "DD"... thats not in the decoder! ideas?
and finally is there a way to tell what month th truck was built? via the serial number? AFAIK its 824,313 which would make it the 724312th truck built?
I must be reading something wrong?

Any help would be great. Im thinking about some old plates I have laying around and thinking maybe if the month matches the truck that would be "Extra Special" (church lady)

thanks again
Nim

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
cabman420

Re: vin,serial,production number questions

This link may help http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=9
cabman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
SS Tim

Nim, Thought we went through this before with you. But I can't find it. The serial number you wrote is correct. However for 69 at the Fremont "Z" plant I'm pretty sure they started at 800001. The lowest currently in my collection is 804XXX.

Though a date can be sort of extrapolated there isn't much to base it on. Do you still have a stamped block in the truck? That date code is about as close as we can get without a protect o plate or another very closely numbered truck from Fremont. If I were to guess it would be a November 67 build.

As far as unit productin totals you could use 6124 for 60 K20 Fleetside production as that is a published number. However most production numbers seem to have a lot of holes and models unaccouted for. So use it if you must but don't be suprised if it is wrong.

The Embossed "DD" is a spot provided for customer use to record by stamping or engravng the "Delivery Date". It has no other purpose, but as a note some of the step vans were known as DD.

If you want some more information on "numbers matching" and how trucks don't, reread the thread here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6079875
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabman420 View Post
While that is helpful there are subtle variations which is why Bruceman1968 and I worked up a set to iron out the GMC kinks. The link is in my signature.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Spartan

Thank all
yes Tim we discussed the vin, but not really anything as for month of build.
what got me thinking and walking down to the storage to look was a few old plates i came across in the barn. they didnt come off this truck and in oregon at the time the month (or close to it) was stamped into the plate. me being me i figured i would choose the plates whose month matched the build date. i kow this is all ball park but want to get close. currently im running pacific wonderland plates which are correct for 59 to 65 trucks not 69. in 69 mplates were offered with three letters and three numbers.

i knew i was missing something and when i read block casting it hit me. i should have been patient and thought about it for awhile and it would have come to me.

Also starting with the 8 in the serial number i somehow forgot. so after i read this i went through my paperwork and sure enough it says "per sstim fremont serial # starts 8"

this really helps alot. the plate stamped "may" would be my favorite. if it coincides with "around" the actual build date i think it will be close enough. not sure how fast MY trucks shipped out or how long it sat on the lot.

as for the "DD" i didnt document it anywhere in my notes. may have missed it if we did discuss it. either way now i know and its in the notes.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

Not sure if this helps, but it may narrow it down for you. I was told by Chevrolet just after I bought my C/20 in 1969 that it was built the second or third week of Dec., 1968. Its serial number is 833099. Based on that, I'd agree that yours was likely built in November, 1968.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Spartan

First owner - thank you. That helps. Iirc I might have the original plate for it. I'm going to dig and hopefully it's in there. Bet it has dec stamped into it!.....
Posted via Mobile Device