The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
mikekaye69

seat swapping ?

Does anyone or has anyone put 60/40 or 40/20/40 split seats in a like a
1973-87 models...???? Looking to upgrade.. I heard you can put from '88-98 seats in these years..just have to modify brackets for the inner parts.. Any facts and pictures... please post back. thanks!
mikekaye69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Blackpony

Re: seat swapping ?

I just finished putting 03 silverado seats in mine. Give me a few ill go take pics of the brackets and such.
Posted via Mobile Device
Blackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
nheller76

I want to see how u did that, can u tell us what ya did.
Posted via Mobile Device

See my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=580013
nheller76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Brockwaykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpony View Post
I just finished putting 03 silverado seats in mine. Give me a few ill go take pics of the brackets and such.
Posted via Mobile Device
I want to put 99-06 buckets/console in my 75. I would like to see that aswell!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Blackpony

Here ya go guys. Sorry for the crappy photos, but basically I removed the sliders then took some 1/8 flat stock and bent up a few new brackets and bolted them down.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
84chevyguyid

I love the "98" year style of seats. I bought some front buckets for my 87 burb 6 years ago and used the stock seat brackets on them. It seemed like a couple of holes lined up and I had to drill a couple of new holes to attach them to the seat frame. they went in pretty easy. They are a little taller than the stockers but its good for me as I am short. I liked them so well that last summer I went junkyarding and picked up the mid and third seats for the burb, front buckets and a burb rear seat for my 87 blazer, front and rear crew cab seats for my 86 crew cab and a a 60/40 for the 84 std cab pickup. I am building a whole fleet of 80 chevys, all red and white with grey interiors I also found a little plastic cupholder that will sit under the arm rest on the 60/40 that works pretty good too. It seems like everybody but gm puts cupholders in their armrests.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Brockwaykid

Blackpony, thanks for posting pics. that is exactly what i want to do!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Blackpony

No prob I plan to maybe add a couple more xtra supports in the event I get into a wreck I want to ensure to seats are solid since the seat belts are part of the seat rather then the b pillars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
jeff mcleod

I have a '86 4x4 4 speed, I took the old bench seat out and put in '98 60/40 split . I kept the slider assembly under the seats.I thought they where to high stock, so I cut the the mounting brackets down leaving just enough room for the slider to work. Bent up some brackets for the front of the seats to be mounted to the floor. I drilled holes for the rest of the mounts.
I left the same seat belts in the truck.
jeff mcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
mikekaye69

thanks guys...for the info..and the pictures...if anyone else has some ideas...throw them at me...cause im looking to put 60/40 in it..But im almost 6ft tall...and i got a big subwofer on the passenger side...if it wasnt for that ...i probably be comfortable....But i do like the folding armrest /cupholder....
mikekaye69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #11
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpony View Post
No prob I plan to maybe add a couple more xtra supports in the event I get into a wreck I want to ensure to seats are solid since the seat belts are part of the seat rather then the b pillars.
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you loose any room when you installed the seat? The factory seats don't leave alot of room the way it is. Just wondering how the newer seats compare. The only thing I am not fond of is not being able to use the factory holes and having to drill through the floorboard.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
buffle
buffle

We still would like info on 88-98 seats in a square. I want to use the stock frame and modify for this seat.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Blackpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Did you loose any room when you installed the seat? The factory seats don't leave alot of room the way it is. Just wondering how the newer seats compare. The only thing I am not fond of is not being able to use the factory holes and having to drill through the floorboard.
Yea i lost some room. For me It's not bad im 6' and 190 lbs and use to a race car with the steering wheel close so it doesnt really bother me.

Yea drilling the floor was kinda a pita. When I order new carpet and get it all fixed up, I am going to weld some bolts the the floor so I dont have to get a buddy to help me tighten up the bolts..
Old 07-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #14
wraprail

Its always a good idea to use the factory mounting locations when swapping seats. You can use the factory outboard seat mounting places and use the factory inboard seat belt mount for your inside rear seat mount. Then you only need to fabricate the front inside mount. Reinforce the floor by welding metal in the area of the mount. Just bolting through the thin sheetmetal won't hold in a wreck. Even with fender washers you are taking a risk of it failing. And with the seatbelts built into the seats. You could ride the seat right through the windshield. Very messy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Blackpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
Its always a good idea to use the factory mounting locations when swapping seats. You can use the factory outboard seat mounting places and use the factory inboard seat belt mount for your inside rear seat mount. Then you only need to fabricate the front inside mount. Reinforce the floor by welding metal in the area of the mount. Just bolting through the thin sheetmetal won't hold in a wreck. Even with fender washers you are taking a risk of it failing. And with the seatbelts built into the seats. You could ride the seat right through the windshield. Very messy.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree, although with these seats, with how the brackets would need to be made to utilize the factory holes, i would be more afraid of the brackets not holding if one could come up with a way to do it. Ill try and get a few more pics of how they are mounted. As is this will not be permanent, just a quick method to see if and how they would fit and ride. I plan to make a large frame so that all three pieces are attached to it thus giving me more storage room under the seats.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #16
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffle View Post
We still would like info on 88-98 seats in a square. I want to use the stock frame and modify for this seat.
That's super simple. One piece of tubing and 4 bolts.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=381564

Last edited by KQQL IT; 07-11-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: link
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote