The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
kaysboat

Need help with my 3 on the tree steering column

Hello,

New to this form (although have been active in the Crown Vic world for some time), and have a 1980 Chevy C10 straight six, three on the tree.

Anyway, I thought I had a simple problem. They ignition lock cylinder would not return to the lock or acc position, therefore key was always stuck in the truck. Thought it would be a simple ignition lock replacement, which did not solve the problem. Took it one step further than I should have, and removed the upper housing of the column. Now I can't get the ignition actuator rack, gear behind the ignition lock cylinder, lock pin and upper and lower housings to line up, and therefore can't get it back together.

I'm wondering if anyone has rebuilt a non tilt, 3 on the tree steering column, and could provide any help or diiagrams on how to reassemble them. I've found lots of great info for tilt columns, but nothing on the manual column shift of this vintage.

I've been screwing around with it for three days now, and am seriously getting columns galore in New York to simply rebuild it. Which brings me to my next question:

How do you completly remove the column, and more specifically disconnect the steering linkage? I have the under dash and fire wall bolts and brackets removed, the engine compartment fire wall bracket off, the bolt out from the steering shaft, but can't get the column seperated from the steering shaft right by the shifting linkage, and flexible coupling.

Instead of spending almost $800 on a rebuild, does anyone have a working column I could buy? I'd need a 3 speed column shift (non tilt obviously), without cruise, headlight or wiper switches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kaysboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
PAPA KENT

Re: Need help with my 3 on the tree steering column

First off welcome to the forum.

I really can't help you on this one since i hav'nt had a g.m.column a part in 20 years but i'm sure someone will kick in soon.

Kent.
PAPA KENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
geezer#99

All that work just because you didn't know how to push down that little lever below the ignition switch in order to lock the ignition.
Here's a link. You should be able to find a repair manual in there.
http://www.ask.com/web?am=broad&q=fr...&o=11112&l=dir
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
kaysboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
All that work just because you didn't know how to push down that little lever below the ignition switch in order to lock the ignition.
Here's a link. You should be able to find a repair manual in there.
http://www.ask.com/web?am=broad&q=fr...&o=11112&l=dir
What do you mean? There is no lever on mine.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
geezer#99

OOOPS!!
Sorry bout that. I was thinking 4 speed. On your 3 speed you put it in reverse to put the column in lock.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
kaysboat

I bit the bullet, removed the column and sent it to Steering Columns Galore in New York for a rebuild. Will cost a small fortune, but hopefully it all works like new when I get it back and in the truck again.