The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

Talking Rack And Pinion And Your Opinion

I just spoke with Bill Turner from Turner enterprises in California. He has suggested that I go with a rack and pinion setup for my steering. I currently have his front lowered crossmember, upper and lower tubular a arms and rear triangulated 4 link as well as his tranny crossmember. I will be running a Moroso electric water pump and I want to keep the engine front as CLEAN as possible. I am planing to go with a manual rack and pinion for ease of install and mainly the clean factor. This will eliminate the need for a center link idler arm etc etc. Also no pump on the frame. Does anyone see any reason why this should not be done??? Bill is going to set this up for me for free also. All I pay for is parts.
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 08:02 PM   #2
BIGG BELLY

a manual rack will have slower steering--more turns from lock to lock---if you make quick turns this could be a problem--if not go 4 it
photo albums
BIGG BELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

For a truck, I would go power. Is he using the Mustang or the Mustang II. I think that the mustang has a quicker turning ratio. Not sure though.
"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:42 PM   #4
SCOTI

Does Bill have one that clears the front of the engine w/your mods? What accesories are you going to run & where are you locating them?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
fastbagged68

When I went down to BIll places he was in the process of setting up a rack pinion. I imagine it cant be hard to install. I would run power though. I am thinking of setting up a rack in my crossmember but I would like to see what rack he is using andhow it mounts up. What do you mean Bill is going to set it up for free? Is yours going to be the prototype?
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:12 PM   #6
SCOTI

I would like to use a rack but w/o knowing exactly where it's going to mount (measurements/dimensions) I wonder if it will interfere w/accessories.

I've been looking @ the Jim Meyers front crossmember & suspension w/R&P & tubular arms but my concern is still the same as far as rack location vs. accessories/pulleys.

Anyone know if Bill has any pics yet?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #7
68LSS1

Quote:
I just spoke with Bill Turner from Turner enterprises in California. He has suggested that I go with a rack and pinion setup for my steering. I currently have his front lowered crossmember, upper and lower tubular a arms and rear triangulated 4 link as well as his tranny crossmember. I will be running a Moroso electric water pump and I want to keep the engine front as CLEAN as possible. I am planing to go with a manual rack and pinion for ease of install and mainly the clean factor. This will eliminate the need for a center link idler arm etc etc. Also no pump on the frame. Does anyone see any reason why this should not be done??? Bill is going to set this up for me for free also. All I pay for is parts.
I'm interested in the triangulated 4 link. Got a number or website?
Even using a power rack you get to eliminate the gear box, all tie rods (including idler and pitman arm), etc. On my Fatman crossmember it mounts with two bolts to the front of the crossmember. Just need to get lines made for going from the metric LS1 pump to the rack which is a Pinto unit I think.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:04 PM   #8
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I am using the Mustang 2 unit. He has claimed to do this before. I think this is only suggested when you use the crossmember he has made or modified. I want a very clean setup with no power options in the way. I am running a electric water pump and a alternator. I would not mind running a power pump if I could get it to mount up and go on the opposite side of the alternator. All of this has to mount down low below the water pump. Bill Turner # is 909-926-1729. Tell him James from Ky sent you. Also he is doing me a favor doing the steering setup. I have had a few problems with the crossmember and he is sticking by his product!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
Old 07-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #9
CustomChevy

Quote:
I'm interested in the triangulated 4 link. Got a number or website?

www.airride.com

the have specific applications. you can use with bags or coilovers.
CustomChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

The good thing about the kit Bill sells is that you can get it setup for airride or coilovers. Also it is a bolt in piece. As soon as I get mine in Iwill post a few pics. It is a very well built kit!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448