The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
K10Scottsdale78

Dealing with 10% ethanol blended gas

Ok, so my truck really hates the gas ive been putting in lately. Whenever I give it just a little extra gas, the valves chirp and my dad says its because of the ethanol blended gas. Now I can get non-ethanol fuel at an indian reservation, but its not exactly close and readily available. Im sure that I am not the only one experiencing these problems due to the ethanol blended $#!T gasoline because of the federal mandates that started a couple years ago.

What have you guys done to deal with this? Know any good ethanol treatment products? Im not about to allow my 400 to knock from the ethanol blended fuels
5spd (gas saving daily driver)
-1969 Pontiac Firebird (post-college project car)
K10Scottsdale78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Dealing with 10% ethanol blended gas

It may not be the ethanol. All else being equal, ethanol should raise the octane, reducing pinging. And at 10% mix, you will only lose about 3% energy per gallon. It is possible the fuel blender supplying your station is mixing a low octane gas with the ethanol. It is also possible the blender got the mix wrong and added too much ethanol which can damage your fuel system. Or too little to that cheap gas resulting in a lower octane than spec.

Based on your signature, I am making the following assumptions, you have a carb and HEI ignition. If your pinging is in the mid-range, make sure your distributor mechanical advance hasn't jammed in the full advance position. I know from personal experience that this can lead to mid-throttle pinging and hard starting. Make sure your fuel filter isn't plugged. Ethanol can clean/loosen debris in the fuel system which then plugs the filter.

If you still think it is the gas, switch to a station that uses a different supplier. Brand of station doesn't matter, what's important is who they buy their gas from.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
K10Scottsdale78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
It may not be the ethanol. All else being equal, ethanol should raise the octane, reducing pinging. And at 10% mix, you will only lose about 3% energy per gallon. It is possible the fuel blender supplying your station is mixing a low octane gas with the ethanol. It is also possible the blender got the mix wrong and added too much ethanol which can damage your fuel system. Or too little to that cheap gas resulting in a lower octane than spec.

Based on your signature, I am making the following assumptions, you have a carb and HEI ignition. If your pinging is in the mid-range, make sure your distributor mechanical advance hasn't jammed in the full advance position. I know from personal experience that this can lead to mid-throttle pinging and hard starting. Make sure your fuel filter isn't plugged. Ethanol can clean/loosen debris in the fuel system which then plugs the filter.

If you still think it is the gas, switch to a station that uses a different supplier. Brand of station doesn't matter, what's important is who they buy their gas from.
Ive heard how horrible ethanol is on older engines, so thats what I first suspected. BTW, I just put in 87 octane since i thought it would be good enough, and it was cheapest (only making 250 a week). But yes, ive got a 4 barrel edelbrock carb on, not sure about ignition.... Ill have to take a look at the distributor and fuel filter like you said and see if that solves it. If not, should I try running 89 octane to see if it reduces the pinging at mid throttle?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Redcap

Click here for the nearest REAL gas station.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
GM-power

Ethanol sucks, but if your driving your older vehical everyday it shouldnt be a big concern, on the fuel system. Let it sit for a while then you have problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Rufton

I've got a few carbed engines that run modern ethanol gas.
They all run fine.
Only issues I've experienced:
Carb fouling if engine sits for several months.
Fuel bowl seems to evaporate dry faster than old formulation gas.
Rufton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
INSIDIOUS '86

You can fill a five gallon jug with 4.5 gallons of gas then a half gallon of water. The water will suck up the ethanol and leave you with a lower octane but pure gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Billy81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufton View Post
I've got a few carbed engines that run modern ethanol gas.
They all run fine.
Only issues I've experienced:
Carb fouling if engine sits for several months.
Fuel bowl seems to evaporate dry faster than old formulation gas.
X2

I drive my 76 everyday on cheap gas it runs just fine but it can be a pain to start if it sits a few days but it always fires up.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
K10Scottsdale78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
Ethanol sucks, but if your driving your older vehical everyday it shouldnt be a big concern, on the fuel system. Let it sit for a while then you have problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont drive my truck daily, Im extremely underpaid so the 8mp isnt too practical for me to drive as much as id LIKE to drive it, so maybe once or twice a week in these nicer months. However, when the snow starts falling, the truck is not going to be driven since I dont want to see it rot out. Ill probably drain the fuel or throw in some fuel stabilizer so there wont be problems with starting it again
Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Rufton

Don't think fuel pump likes to be dry.
I installed valve downstream of pump on one car so I can run bowl dry for winter storage.
Stabil doesn't work long term; found out the hard way.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
esbstuff

If you have replaced your rubber gas lines in the last couple of years, a carb adjustment is all you need to run ethanol.

If your truck is a daily driver, with a carb, you can run up to 50%, without any problems (once the carb is adjusted for such) easily. We actually have a guy locally that is running E85 straight in his 78. The problem is that it absobs moisture like there's no tomorrow, so in vehicles that sit, you need Stabli for Ethanol. I usually run my Stabli strong, like half a little bottle per tank...

MAKE SURE that you let the vehicle run for awhile so the Stabli gets to the motor. This is the #1 problem for users that have problems later. On a carb motor, I would let run 15 minutes at least. 5 minutes on FI ones...
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
superwade57

I see stabil has an ethonal specific formula...how well does it work? I think its more for small gas engines as ethanol wreaks absolute havoc on them.
Posted via Mobile Device
superwade57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Rufton

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbstuff View Post
MAKE SURE that you let the vehicle run for awhile so the Stabli gets to the motor. This is the #1 problem for users that have problems later. On a carb motor, I would let run 15 minutes at least. 5 minutes on FI ones...
I used to do that and it was a pain if you are treating a few engines. Even bigger pain when carbs foul in spite of treatment. I prefer to run carb dry. Got behind on the motorcycle and need to clean the 4 carbs again. Stromberg and autolite carbs never fouled but edelbrock and motorcycle have. Motorcycle is most sensitive by far, due to small jets.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
kalbert

People sure like to rag on ethanol! Gasoline with ethanol in it doesn't degrade any faster or cause more damage than straight gasoline would. It has different symptoms when it degrades, but it all goes bad over time. Additionally, rubber hoses need to be replaced periodically, carbs need tuning on occasion, steel lines and tanks rot out and need fixing, filters need changing, and all fuel goes bad. That's just life and it happens no matter what fuel you run or what you run it in or what magic potions you mix in.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

My driving is split between 2 trucks, one sits while the other runs me around, then I swap vehicles etc etc. Anyway, I'll add the fuel I need for the planned driving, when that runs out I'll drive the other one and do the same. Keeps the fuel reasonably fresh.

As for my lawn mower, I use Cam2, yes I said Cam2, the fuel stays fresh, mower starts on the first pull (even after sitting all winter) and it smells great while mowing the lawn. I figure it's cheaper than buying regular gas and additives. Plus, my wife helps me out by occasionally cutting the grass, I don't need her fussing the mower won't start.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Katrina/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
You can fill a five gallon jug with 4.5 gallons of gas then a half gallon of water. The water will suck up the ethanol and leave you with a lower octane but pure gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
This really works? I'd like to try it. I have had a lot of trouble with the ethanol fuel, found it makes a lot of corrosion in gas tanks and carburetors. I even had a brass fuel float completely dissolved! Never had this much trouble with pure gas.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Rufton

This is what 1966 carb looked like in 2012.
Pretty sure it had never been rebuilt.
It drank plenty of ethanol gas.
Sill worked fine except accelerator pump quit working years ago.
Attached Images