The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Cohl

How hard of a fix is this?

So, I have a chance to pick up a very decent tub with very little rust, but the po cut the wheel wells. Is this a big, pricey deal to get into or a pretty easy fix? My tub is in waaay worse shape and if its cheaper and easier to do this route, I would. Thanks!
Sorry for the sideways pic....
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Cohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Longhorn 70

Re: How hard of a fix is this?

How hard a fix? For me tough. For an experienced body man probably not too bad. If you can't do the work, call a shop and have them ballpark it. You may decide to wait until you find bedsides that don't need too much done to them. OR look at aftermarket.

^^^TTT

OH Welcome to the board and I fixed the pic for you. (I think)
Attached Images

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9

Last edited by Longhorn 70; 07-11-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
54belair

What Ive found to be true usually is> It cheaper to replace than to repair.

Ive looked at and bought some trucks/cars where the P O made the statement that "all it needs is just a little work and it will be paint ready" I usually run when I hear that because the owner has no idea what hes saying.
IF you can do the work and do it satisfactorily then it might be cheaper to fix it. If you are going to pay shop rates---then buy new/better parts.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
ole dollor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
What Ive found to be true usually is> It cheaper to replace than to repair.

Ive looked at and bought some trucks/cars where the P O made the statement that "all it needs is just a little work and it will be paint ready" I usually run when I hear that because the owner has no idea what hes saying.
IF you can do the work and do it satisfactorily then it might be cheaper to fix it. If you are going to pay shop rates---then buy new/better parts.
x-2
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
cleszkie

It looks like you are talking about a Blazer tub and not a pickup bed. Decent Blazer tubs are harder to find than decent pickup bedsides, so don't toss what you have. I would locate some nice pickup donor bedsides and cut out the wheel arch patch panels and weld them into the Blazer tub. They are the same, with the exception of the portion below the trim line on the front of the arches. Blazers arch goes straight down and makes a 90 degree with bottom of quarter panel, but a pickup has a small radius between the arch and bottom of quarter panel. You can buy the lower front wheel arch/quarter panel patch for a Blazer from any vendor. That is what I did when I cut out the rot that was in my Blazer tub wheel arches. If you are not a welder, just take the donor bedsides and your tub to a shop and have them do the work. Its really not that difficult. I attached a picture of my repair for reference. Good luck.
Attached Images

cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I happen to have the pass side bedside that has been being used for patches, still have wheel opening

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
R.I.P. FleetsidePaul
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote