The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
PatrickGMC70

Help sourcing water pump bolts

Well, like the title says, I need help finding some new mounting bolts for my water pump. Classic Industries has them for $15, but after all of the shipping and handling, it's $25 for 4 damn bolts.

I checked locally at Pep Boys, Advance, AutoZone, Standard, and Salvo and no one carries them, which is kinda crazy in my opinion considering these bolts are usually pretty nasty.

I recently rebuilt my engine, and I reused the old bolts because I couldn't find new ones. But now I have a slow leak at the water pump, and I've checked the lower hose, heater hose, and heater hose nipple, so I'm beginning to suspect the coolant is pushing up through the mounting bolts. The old bolts weren't in the greatest shape, so I'm pretty sure that between the surface rust that was on them and me cleaning them up that they're not as thick as they should be.

It's always bugged me putting the old bolts back in, so now I just want them replaced no matter what (but hopefully also solving this leak problem)

So it seems that there are a lot of different configurations for these bolts. Each of my bolts is different because I have factory A\C.

I have one long bolt on the top left, one medium bolt on the bottom left, one short bolt on the bottom right, and one short bolt on the top right, with threads extending above the head for a ground strap. (If it matters, I have the short water pump.)

I'm the least concerned about the ground strap bolt, but I'd like to have it.

Does anyone know a place that sells these bolts without me having to special order them?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick
Posted via Mobile Device
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Help sourcing water pump bolts

Take your old bolts to your local hardware store and match them up. You only need grade 5, all have the same threads, should not be that hard. For he ground stud just put the ground some were else.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
TrixR4Kids

Locally we have several shops that just carry a HUGE assortment of just about every size nut, bolt, cotter pins, lock washer etc. known to man. That is all they really do, maybe in your neck of the woods they have a nut and bolt shop like that. I get stuff there all the time for different projects on the truck.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Shyguy

Wouldn't hurt to put a little sealant on the bolts before you install them.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Hubscrub
Cruzin

yea local will do, i have alot of tractor supply co. bolt in my truck

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My local ACE has a great selection of bolts.I'm lucky enough that if they don't have it I can go on down the street and use the "Automotive Fasteners Inc.".
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
WIDESIDE72

I dont think the bolts would make the water pump leak, unless if you are afraid of tightening them up and they are loose causing the leak. Be sure both the block and water pump surfaces are completely clean of old gasket and smooth/ flat. I install the gaskets with a little bit of copper kote to hold the paper gasket in place, but have used permatex silicone only in a pinch (no paper gasket). The trick to silicone is to apply, let it skin over (about 15-20 mins) then loosely install with the bolts until you just see the silicone start to ooze out. Stop there and let it set for at least 1 hr, then tighten the bolts down snug.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #8
PatrickGMC70

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'll run down to Lowe's or Home Depot and see what they have. I can see that it definitely isn't leaking from the gasket at the block.

If I had to bet, I'd say the coolant is pushing up through the worn threads on the upper passenger side bolt. But by replacing it, I'll at least feel that I've eliminated this bolt as a potential cause. Plus I'll be glad to have new bolts on there anyway.

If it's not the bolts, then I think the next likely source is the heater hose or the heater hose nipple in the pump body. I don't think it's the lower radiator hose because I think the leak is up higher than that. The problem is that it's such a slow leak that it's pretty tough to spot exactly where it's coming from. I haven't timed it, but I'd say it's about 2 to 4 drops per minute. Very aggravating.

I'm hoping to replace the bolts one at a time so I don't have to drain the coolant. Does anyone have a reference source for the bolt lengths?

They have a 9/16" head, so my memory is that the bolt will be 3/8" in diameter. NC threads I assume. I can just take them out one at a time to measure them, so please don't anyone go to any trouble trying to find the lengths for me. I'm just asking in case someone has some super-secret reference book that it seems some people have.

Two last questions, what type of sealer are you guys using on these bolts, and is there supposed to be a washer between the bolt head and the water pump?

Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
68shortfleet

I don't have bolt lengths for you, but you should be able to measure the thickness of the water pump at each bolt while it is on the motor and add approximately 1/2".

As far as the coolant leaking from a bolt, I have seen this many times. The bolts that go into a water jacket need some kind of sealant on the threads.
I went and checked a spare 350 block that I have and only one of the bolts goes into the coolant passage(lower, drivers side), the other three are blind holes with at least 1/2" of thread in them. Other blocks may vary and have more bolts go into the coolant passage.
68shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #10
PatrickGMC70

Thanks for the suggestion. I should be able to measure it the way you said. The top passenger bolt (that also holds on the A/C bracket) definitely goes into a coolant passage on my block because if you take it out, coolant comes out of the bolt hole.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
Bigdav160

IIRC, the top bolt, w/AC bracket is 2 1/4 inches.

My local hardware store only carries bolts in 1/2 increments past 1 1/2 long.
I ended up using a thick washer under a 2 1/2 bolt so it wouldn't be too long.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
PatrickGMC70

Thank you everyone.

Sometimes it's helpful to have people to point out how simple the solution can be sometimes. You get in an "special auto parts" mode sometimes that you can forget it's just a damn bolt-go to the hardware store dummy!

I'll post up the answer about the bolt length when I get them out.

I'm still open to recommendations about your favorite bolt sealers and whether I need washers under the bolts (my water pump didn't have washers, but I see some of the replacement sets have them)

Patrick
Posted via Mobile Device