The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
tskills10

Gmc info??

I'm new to this site and this my first post. I currently have a 2008 GMC 2500 HD crewcab 4x4.

What I'm curious about is some info on a 1968 GMC 1500 long bed stepside. I owned one of these back in the late nineties. I wish I never would of let that truck go. The truck had a leaf spring rear suspension with 6 lug wheels. It had a 250 cid with a three speed column shift. So I guess my question in this. Is this a somewhat rare combo? I can't seem to find a longbed stepside on a GMC. And the chevys all seem to have the coil spring suspension and 5 lug wheels. Any info is appreciated.

tskills10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
ole dollor

Re: Gmc info??

welcome to the board from Texas, all 68 models should be six lug wheels, all i have seen were coil springs on the rear, there are some that had leaf springs but i have not seen one, but you could special order them i have been told..five lug wheels came out in 1971 and 72...long bed step sides are short in supply , they made fewer of them as the newer trucks were made from 1967 to 1972..now there are more short beds than were ever made because people like short beds better than long beds, fleet side and step side ..
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

If I remember correctly chevys had coils as standard and leafs as optional and gmc was the opposite leafs standard and coils as optional. 6 lug on both pre 71 5 lug 71 and 72
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

All the drum brake 1/2t trucks had 6-lug wheels,which was through '70.

Most GMCs came through with leaf spring,even though it still shows as an option.

GMCs are called Fendersides.

A longbed Stepseide/Fenderside is most common as a base-model with standard 250/3spd. What's a rare combo is one with higher options. All were lower production than Fleetside/Widesides. And,naturally,there are about 80% less GMCs in any configuration than Chevys. At least from the Baltimore plant where they did every 5th truck as a GMC...according to a man I know who worked there. The proportions between configurations could vary as well as plant to plant and year to year. But certainly less GMCs than Chevys by far.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
tskills10

Thanks for the info. It would seem that I screwed up even worse than I had thought by letting this truck go. Of all the vehicles that I've had this is the only one that I really wish I still had. It would've been a good companion to go with my 2008 GMC. Maybe I can track it down. I'll start a thread appropriate to that search. Or maybe I could settle for a Jimmy, something that the whole family can ride it.

GARAGE EQUIPMENT AND PARTS
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156413
Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Tinkermc

with out your family your quality of life will suffer, by all means include them when ever possible.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
tskills10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
with out your family your quality of life will suffer, by all means include them when ever possible.
I agree, I enjoy spending time with my family. My 4 yr old little girl loves when we take the camaro out to cruise night. And maybe having an early Jimmy got be some fun and then our teenage boys can fit in the truck. But I would still love to have my old GMC back.

GARAGE EQUIPMENT AND PARTS
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156413