The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
givengold

Leaning

My 72 2wd Blazer is sagging on the rear driver's side. I looked at the coil springs and on the passenger side, there is about a 2" gap between the top coin and the next. About the same between coils 2 and 3. After that, everything is compressed. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the top 2 coils, the rest are collapsed onto one another. I'm sure that these coils were cut by the PO. Could it be that the driver's side is sagging because it was annealed by a torch during cutting? I've had this truck for a couple of years and I just noticed this condition.
givengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Lattimer

Re: Leaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by givengold View Post
My 72 2wd Blazer is sagging on the rear driver's side. I looked at the coil springs and on the passenger side, there is about a 2" gap between the top coin and the next. About the same between coils 2 and 3. After that, everything is compressed. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the top 2 coils, the rest are collapsed onto one another. I'm sure that these coils were cut by the PO. Could it be that the driver's side is sagging because it was annealed by a torch during cutting? I've had this truck for a couple of years and I just noticed this condition.
Its possible. A PO had heated the springs in my truck to make them sag and lower the truck. About half of the coils were collapsed on all 4 springs.

Sometimes they just collapse due to age and wear also. Sounds like you need new springs.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
GMCPaul

Re: Leaning

From the description I would say they've definitely been heated to collapse the coils to lower it and they probably just heated a little to long on 1 side causing it to drop more. Its definitely not a safe thing. If your looking to restore the original ride height or would like to lower it more than stock ride height we carry both stock & custom made drop springs. Unlike the other retailers selling the imported springs from China we only sell springs made in the USA. Our stock & lowering springs are engineered then custom wound and tempered to the specific truck they are purchased for based on ton rating, wheelbase, motor & transmission size, bed style and if truck has A/C or not as these all affect proper spring rating due to changes in weight which we found is better than just pulling a set of lowering springs off the shelf and the same springs shipped to a 6cylinder short wheelbase truck as are shipped to a V8big block long wheelbase as the other companies do. Each set of springs is then checked after the manufacturing process to ensure they are correctly calibrated and a matched set. So you won't install a set of our springs and find out that 1 side sits higher than the other due to them not being matched sets as is commonly found with the imported springs.
If interested you can find our springs on the following pages of our web site
Stock Height Springs http://www.gmcpauls.com/springs.htm
Drop Springs http://www.gmcpauls.com/lowering_springs_&_parts.htm
Paul @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote