The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Dewey Clines

65 Subugler

I've been following along now for months on different project builds looking at the different types and ways you members have done your trucks. Builds like Nobby, Kart and others have given me super ideas and construction methods that I didn't know. My name is Dewey Clines and I am located in Vista in southern California. I am currently building a 1965 Suburban that I did some trading for. It being a SoCal car it was in fairly good condition and mostly rust free when i got it. It was less steering. motor and trans when it arrived but everything else was there. I'm going to try and start a build page to follow the progress (if I can learn how to post photos) and join you all in the quest to finish this of before it does me. If you noticed in the title I've named it the
"65 Subugler" as a play on smuggler. When deconstructing the car for body off rebuild we discovered several secret compartments that lead us to believe it has had a somewhat checkered past. More to follow.
Attached Images

Dewey Clines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Dewey Clines

Re: 65 Subugler

Some photos of the found secret compartments that we believe was used for smuggling. given the Mex influence of the diamond tuck interior and that it was here in SoCal it a pretty good bet it went back and forth over the border.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Dewey Clines

More photos on the body off work and the 1988 Suburban that the BBC 454 and T400 tranny that I'm going to use. Turns out it wasn't a Gen 4 like I thought someone had swapped in a Gen 5 motor. Having Joe at VW Paradise do the machine work on the engine and everything was good and we were able to leave it stock dimensions. More on the motor build later!
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Dewey Clines

Body's off and working on installing the full Porteruilt Dropmenber system. Went with the mild coil over front with CPP nodular spindles and their front 13" disk brake kit with 12" disks for the back. Using the deluxe rear air bag set up. Lot's to do now. Going to use a Chevy Truck 12 bolt posi rearend with Moser 5x5 bolt pattern axles. Still trying to decide on what air management system to use so any suggestions would be helpful. Wont let me post photos right now so I''l put more up later.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
chevyrestoguy

That's a really solid Suburban to start with!! Love the secret compartments, and the name you chose is perfect.

I'll be tuning in on this build, for sure.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Great to have you along here.

The interior ceiling looks more like the inside of a casket. You sure that your Suburban didn't haul bodies? ;o)
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Dewey Clines

The seats and door panels were all on in the same brown diamond tuck! Very Mexi SoCal in the 70s around here. All you had to do was take a quick trip to TJ on the weekend and a couple hundred would get you a custom interior. You should have seen all the screws I hd to take out to remove it. Had to recharge the batteries twice in my Dewalt cordless drill!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
gimmy 64

I am in sounds like an interesting build
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
hopped up

Keep that headliner!! Lol! Cool burb and cool build
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
spacedebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Clines View Post
The seats and door panels were all on in the same brown diamond tuck! Very Mexi SoCal in the 70s around here. All you had to do was take a quick trip to TJ on the weekend and a couple hundred would get you a custom interior. You should have seen all the screws I hd to take out to remove it. Had to recharge the batteries twice in my Dewalt cordless drill!
Posted via Mobile Device
Quick trips to TJ are likely what those compartments were for
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Dewey Clines

I'm trying to post more pics but I keep getting an error about a security token not being in place. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Should I be doing something different to attach the pics?
Thanks for any help.
Dewey
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Dewey Clines

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
Quick trips to TJ are likely what those compartments were for
How right you are! I grew up here in SoCal in the 60-70's and we used to sneak to TJ all the time especially after football games. Get back just in time to go to school the next day. Couldn't do it now gotten to old to keep up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
spacedebris

After High School my friends and I would head down to TJ on the weekends. For us it was a 5 hr drive so we would head down on friday and usually come back on sunday. We could have used some of those compartments for the fireworks we used to try and sneak back. Dont dare try that anymore. Those were the days.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
Dewey Clines

Quote:
After High School my friends and I would head down to TJ on the weekends. For us it was a 5 hr drive so we would head down on friday and usually come back on sunday. We could have used some of those compartments for the fireworks we used to try and sneak back. Dont dare try that anymore. Those were the days.
Amen! I won't even go fishing anymore and I used to go all the time. Just to dangerous and I have trouble dodging bullets!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Dewey Clines

Quote:
Amen! I won't even go fishing anymore and I used to go all the time. Just to dangerous and I have trouble dodging bullets!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device