The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2003, 06:50 AM   #1
yenko/sc

rear trailing arms ???

Im looking to do a nascar truckarm type rear suspension on a 1964 ChevyII nova hardtop. I was wondering if anyone here could help me with some diminsions on the 60-66 and 67-72 rear trailing arms. Are the rear arms different lengths for different years or do they all use the same length arms?? And can anyone help me in finding some good condition arms possibly. I know i am a car nut but ive always wanted a 70 dropped swb/bigblock parts hauler!! And if it ever happens it looks like i found a site to get all the info ill ever need!!! great forum!! Appreciate all the help i can get...Cliff
yenko/sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
SCOTI

To my knowledge all 1/2 ton trailing arms are the same irregardless of year. The 3/4 ton arms are also the same length but are plated for extra strength. I believe early classics ent. offers a kit to plate any truck arm to improve their strength.

I'm assuming that you don't want to use the HotRodsTo Hell stuff? I like the adj track bar they offer & they prob have some decent install info as well.

protouring.com (you prob already know that one)
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:11 PM   #3
BigPun76

HotRods from Hell

I believe there is a company out there called Hot Rods from Hell that also offers a trailing arm conversion for cars. I remember an ad in one of my magazines... No, check that... Hot Rods TO Hell! Look them up at www.hotrodstohell.net. Hope this helps!
BigPun76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 02:15 AM   #4
yenko/sc

yea i know all about HOTRODS TO HELL kit . There kit for 62-67 nova's is like $1700 bucks . I think i can do this same setup for around $400-$500. Using the 60-72 truck arms. Someone that bought there truckarm kit told me that the trailing arms they use are 50'' long so thats only 7 inchs shorter then the chevy truck arms. They look exactly the same! I can shorten the chevy truck arms if i have to. As far as the adjustable track bar. I think its alittle over kill, what about a plain and simple panhard bar with adjustable hem joints. It would serve the same purpose.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
SCOTI

The adj length track bar w/heim joints would serve the same purpose of centering the rear suspension, but w/the HR2H kit, you can compensate for roll center height. To me, the avg car guy wouldn't need to worry about that under normal 'spirited' driving . . .... but under track type conditions, it would be a nice tuning tool.

I had a nascar site @ on the home computer a while back that had all kinds of stuff like lightened trailing arms w/'mono' pivot style ball (basically a big heim joint style bearing) instead of the regular bushing up front to decrease suspension bind & a bolt on style panhard bar bracket for 3" dia tubing rear end housings. I don't remember if prices were good or bad. I'll check & see if I can find the link.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-02-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Bustedup

I think the NASCAR site you are thinking of is www.stockcarproducts.com, I've boughten parts from them for my truck in the past.
Bustedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
yenko/sc

Scoti,

Thats what i was thinking, The car not going to be racing to many people at the track, But i was actually going to try to copy the design of the adjustable track bar first and see how it turns out before i would just use a standard panhard bar. It doesnt look to difficult to copy, i hope!. Having that adjustment would be kinda helpfull im sure, to say the least. And about the trailing arms, I think i might have to shorten them them the 7 inches like i said in the earler post because they are getting awfull close to the tranny crossmember. A Tool and Die buddy of mine suggested cutting the truck arms down to size and then putting Ball bearing hem joints on them. So were already planning to do this as soon as i get my truck arms. I found a pair from a 66 short bed for $65 bucks and that also covers shipping, rust free from a guy in Texas. I jumped all over them...lol .

I have been searching everywere on the net for any kind of nascar,stock car related suspension stuff but with no luck! I need to find or make up some Nascar type Screw jacks for the adjustability of ride height . That link that you posted doesnt come up. You think it might be called something else.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #8
SCOTI

Well, I looked @ home & can't find it anywhere. I'm almost positive that the site 'bustedup' posted was the one I kept going to.

If you still need, I can get measurements from my trailing arms.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 07-02-2003 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
Bustedup

Try this, without the period at the end.

www.stockcarproducts.com

Also, if you look they have a cross member for attaching the truck arms. They also have screw jacks that they sell for the front end, you should be able to use them for the rear as well.
Bustedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
SCOTI

Yep, that's the place. Thanks bustedup, I'll save that one to my favorites again.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-04-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
68LSS1

I called and talked to the guy from Hotrodstohell about their kit. It looks like a good set up. I think it will be a good match for my Fatman Fabrications front end. I guess I'll be putting it on the "need to get some overtime to buy" list.