The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Acksman

Need diagram of 66 AC blower in Cab removing

If someone could tell me the official name of this part my Google searching might go faster in figuring this out and find a diagram or blowup of how this thing is attached.

I am trying to remove the part below from my cab. I do have in dash AC 1966.

Removed the two bolts from the upper part of the glove compartment, but something else is holding it in it seems. Any ideas?

Acksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
yelmer

Re: Need diagram of 66 AC blower in Cab removing

did you take off the heater box? sometime it makes it easier too see in the engine compartment the nuts of evaporator should come out. sometimes it sticks on the alum lines going through the firewall also attaches to the fan motor under the heater box.
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Acksman

Did not try that, I was try to keep from removing to much at once. I did go ahead and order a the 66 repair manual that should have most of this and other repair diagrams included I hope.
Acksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
chevyrestoguy

That big 'ol suitcase is called the evaporator. You will find two studs protruding through the firewall with nuts on them. Remove the nuts and it'll come loose. Make sure you support the evaporator from the inside or leave the two bolts below the glove box loose or it'll fall out and bounce off of the floor of the cab. Also, make sure you've got all the wire harnesses disconnected and the cables disconnected.

You don't need to take the heater box out to get the evaporator out. If you do decide to remove the heater box, make sure you disconnect the fresh air flapper door cable or you'll never get the heater loose from the firewall. If you tug and pull, you run a great risk of cracking the potmetal housing that bolts to the firewall. I have seen more than a few A/C specific heater boxes with that chunk missing due to a over-muscling mechanic. Your heater box is specific to the A/C trucks and is a pretty rare piece, so treat it with care!

I have a pretty big section of my '64 build thread where I restored my A/C unit, and I think there's a few pictures of the studs I mentioned above.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 07-14-2013 at 11:48 PM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote