The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Scottsdale403

Cool Newbie From Miami, Florida!!!

Hey yall! I just got me a 1978 Scottsdale Pick up!!!! I am very excited to restore it!
I have been google-ing forums, but i think i just hit jack pot! I have been reading a lot and im wondering if anyone can give me advice on where to shop, lift or no lift, performance parts etc!!!

This pickup had/has the following:
350 Diesel Equipment(Has a 403 Oldsmobile 15k miles)
Fleetside Pickup Box
3.40 rear axle ratio
Used to be 25 Mariner Blue Solid
Scottsdale Equipment
and some other specs

As you can imagine i have a million questions!!!!

I guess first would be the heart of this truck. I like the engine thus far! Runs and turns on great, but how can i improve gas mileage? Intake? i have a rochester 2 corroborator, my intake looks like it belongs in the trash and well i have two 20 gallon tanks

I am not a 10/10 mechanic, would put my self as a 5/10, i have experience, but im 21 and mechannic is not my major in college.
Scottsdale403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Scottsdale403

Re: Newbie From Miami, Florida!!!

Here is a pic!
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
77ChevySharkBite

Welcome from Texas!!! Glad to see you join us!

When you get the chance post some more pictures if you don't mind, I'm a photo whore lol

There's a few things you can do to improve gas mileage/performance. Intake, carb, carb spacer, new plugs, new wires, headers, and new exhaust that's optional but it will give you some more performance.

It will be a challenge to get a tremendous gain in mpg with the truck aerodynamics of a brick. Those few things will help you though.

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
anubisani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsdale403 View Post
Hey yall! I just got me a 1978 Scottsdale Pick up!!!! I am very excited to restore it!
I have been google-ing forums, but i think i just hit jack pot! I have been reading a lot and im wondering if anyone can give me advice on where to shop, lift or no lift, performance parts etc!!!

This pickup had/has the following:
350 Diesel Equipment(Has a 403 Oldsmobile 15k miles)
Fleetside Pickup Box
3.40 rear axle ratio
Used to be 25 Mariner Blue Solid
Scottsdale Equipment
and some other specs

As you can imagine i have a million questions!!!!

I guess first would be the heart of this truck. I like the engine thus far! Runs and turns on great, but how can i improve gas mileage? Intake? i have a rochester 2 corroborator, my intake looks like it belongs in the trash and well i have two 20 gallon tanks

I am not a 10/10 mechanic, would put my self as a 5/10, i have experience, but im 21 and mechannic is not my major in college.
hey I am from Miami also, homestead actually hit me up if you ever need any tips I am not a professional mechanic but I do turn wrenches and a couple of my friends are full time mechanics, those trucks are awesome I just got my 1st square recently also 1988 crew cab dually , your truck is awesome
anubisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Scottsdale403

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite View Post
Welcome from Texas!!! Glad to see you join us!

When you get the chance post some more pictures if you don't mind, I'm a photo whore lol

There's a few things you can do to improve gas mileage/performance. Intake, carb, carb spacer, new plugs, new wires, headers, and new exhaust that's optional but it will give you some more performance.

It will be a challenge to get a tremendous gain in mpg with the truck aerodynamics of a brick. Those few things will help you though.
That sounds good! Im going to do intake first, ill post some more pics after work if its not raining, my old man suggested a edelbrock mid range 4 to 2 adapted intake, any other suggestion?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Scottsdale403

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubisani View Post
hey I am from Miami also, homestead actually hit me up if you ever need any tips I am not a professional mechanic but I do turn wrenches and a couple of my friends are full time mechanics, those trucks are awesome I just got my 1st square recently also 1988 crew cab dually , your truck is awesome
Thanks man! its good to see their are more sqaure down here, i work in key largo so i pass by your area everyday, im up in west kendall
Posted via Mobile Device