The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
roger55

Rear end question for my '57

I'm restoring a '57 3200 for my wife to drive. I want to have this truck very dependable for her. Mostly will be used for around town but maybe an occasional trip to other towns within 200 miles. The powertrain I'm putting in is a 305 tpi / 700R4 out of a '91 Z28 Camaro. I will keep the engine stock. So, it's not going to be a powerhouse by any means.

The PO swapped in a rear end from a '65 GMC pickup and it's a Dana 44 (6-lug). I just removed it and took it down to my rear end guy and he is in the process of dismantling it now. Looks like it needs pretty much everything. The ring gear is pitted really badly. Even the spider gears have some pitting. Most likely needs all the bearings including axle bearings. It's a non-posi 3.54 ratio which is good for the purposes so I'd probably go with that same ratio. (I don't need a posi but an Auburn Gear posi unit is only about $150 more than new spider gears.)

My question is that with the money it's going to take to get this rear all fixed up, would it make sense to just get something else completely? Suggestions would be appreciated.

I can afford to do what I need to do but would like to keep it reasonable and have the decision be one that makes sense.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote