The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
kswindell

Air Ride equipment explanation

Im sorry if there is a thread about this. Please link me if there is.

But i'm about to air ride my first vehicle (61 Apache).

Can somebody explain basically how the bag ratings work. Is the rating rated for that 1 corner or for the rear combined?

Whats the difference is compressor ratings an what works best.

I'm assuming the bigger the tank you can have the better off you are regardless?

Thanks
kswindell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
forestb

Re: Air Ride equipment explanation

You might already know this but just in case, 61's have torsion bar front ends and I don't think there are any conversion kits for putting bags on a 61. You will either need to modify the lower a-arms or install a new front cross member.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
kswindell

Thanks.

While i have your attention do you know of anywhere that sells bottles of plasma so i can get to cutting?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
jayoldschool

You need to research how a plasma cutter works. They don't use bottles of plasma
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswindell View Post
Thanks.

While i have your attention do you know of anywhere that sells bottles of plasma so i can get to cutting?
Did you really just say that?

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
kswindell

Basically at the moment i'm just trying to determine what bag i need to start designing my mounting system.

This is what i had looked at http://www.ridetech.com/store/air-sp...onvoluted.html

Not sure if thats to much bag, or would ride stiff?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
gofastnut

Plasma Cutter: A method of cutting metal workpieces with a jet of air, ionized/melted by an electric arc to create plasma.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
kswindell

Love that my joke gets several replies but my legitimate issue gets no attention...
Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
forestb

Quote:
Love that my joke gets several replies but my legitimate issue gets no attention...
That's because nobody likes a smart a$$.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Ya know, you may be way ahead if you look for a 63-72 frame that is either done or just a frame so you can make it the way you want it. Most folks put 25/2600 bags on, 2500 on front but there are also ss6/7/8 that are rated about the same but take up more/less space in the pocket. Good luck however you choose. Oh and welcome!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
gofastnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
That's because nobody likes a smart a$$.
Not true, I have 2 friends!

About the air ride, I dunno. Those bags look like they should work fine, depending on amount of drop/rise you want.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
kswindell

The frame is already somewhat built. I'm not a buy the kit an bolt it on kind of person. Just never messed with bags before and needed some guidance.

The bag i posted lists at 3400 which seems much but I cant really come across anything that has 7"+ of travel that rates over 2000lbs.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
tincan1966

Amazon sells a lot of bags. I have bought several pairs of D2500 and D2600 bags there and was pleased they were Firestone bags.

As far as answering your question about tanks- the best answer I can give is it depends on how fast you want it to go up and down. If you want speed- you want a large tank and large valves with large lines(1/2")
Since I do not care how fast mine goes, my 'Burb has a 3 gallon tank, 1/4" lines and valves and is going to be set up with auto leveling in the back.

Compressors are the same depends on what you want to do with the system - check the ratings for cubic feet per minute of air volume for the output. High pressure rating does not always equal high volume of air output.

You can get some good info on www.airbagit.com
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
kswindell

I guess it should be noted that my plan is to lay frame but still be able to get up to 6-7" off the ground at minimum so I have no issues with clearance if needed ever.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
tincan1966

When you say 6-7" ground clearance- where are you measuring this clearance at?

That's a lot of range without some serious geometry like canti-lever but I've only seen that done on the rear, not sure how you'd achieve that on the front.

I may be way off base, maybe it can be done easier than I think- just seems like a lot of travel if starting at laying frame to get to 6-7" of frame to the ground
Old 07-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
kswindell

I'm new to this, but in that case youre saying guys that lay frame only can raise their vehicle up to around 3" off the ground? Seems if the bag will travel x amount the vehicle should as well?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
tincan1966

Like I said, I may not be understanding right, either.
I know I do not have 7" of travel in the bags I have, or if I do, that is absolutely maxxed out and no way I could drive it that way-it would be way too stiff. But again, that is how I have mine, I cannot lay the frame on the ground- I didn't want to, LOL. mine stops at about 2-3" off the ground and goes to about 7 1/2 - 8" , measuring bottom of frame to ground, behind the front wheels at front cab mount. I could go lower w/ dropped spindles in front and blocks in back, if I wanted to.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
I'm new to this, but in that case youre saying guys that lay frame only can raise their vehicle up to around 3" off the ground? Seems if the bag will travel x amount the vehicle should as well?
Not exactly. First, the bags you listed have a travel area of roughly 7" (max 10 min 3). To achieve 100% use of the travel, you'd have to make sure that layed out you were at exactly 3" (it physically cannot safely do less without riding on and possibly damaging the bumpstops). Then you need to keep in mind that the bags mount outward on the control arms, meaning its not working at a dead lift like a bottle jack would. Then, you have to consider that bags are essentially "soft", so depending on the weight and positioning, the bag will have a certain amount of give. To achieve full lift, you will have to run higher pressure.
Running your ride height at near full lift means higher pressure in the bags more often. This means a much stiffer ride at ~110psi then you would at 60-75psi, a greater risk of damage (50mph + pothole+full lift = something will break, and it might be your back or wrists).

The other issue is shocks. Its not easy, fun or cheap finding a shock that will go from full drop to full lift, and work WELL at full lift. IMO what you need to do is determine where you really want your REGULAR ride height. This will let you set up the control arms, bags, shocks, and all your triangulation for the rear end, and not wind up running everything ragged.

Oh and bagged trucks break stuff. If you don't start with entirely new wear parts on the front end, you'll need them within months. Things like ball joints etc start to go much faster.

Air ride is fun but isn't exactly a bolt-on to do right. I'd take a look at places like the s10forum.com They have MASSSIVE amounts of tech on everything air ride, and all the concepts will apply to your current project in principle.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
kswindell

I understand what youre saying completely. I in no way shape or form plan to drive the thing maxed out. That would be pointless. I simply won't the ability to drive through a parking lot with speedbumps an be able to get up off the ground plenty. The ones around here tend to be a bit agressive.