The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Mike's money pit

How low is my truck?

Hey guys, I bought a 72 C10 in a few weeks ago. The truck is kind of rusty and a little rough, but I think overall it is pretty solid. It is an original red and white Custom Deluxe, and it originally had the gray plaid seat, the white or parchment door panels, and the white seatbelts. It also came with a tilt column and a black dash pad. It does not say Highlander on the spid, but on the owners manual that was with the truck, the owners name is handwritten in with a note that says 1972 red Highlander.
It has already been to the mechanic shop for a full brake job and it had the gas tank flushed. I have it home now and am starting to drive it. The truck has been lowered by a previous owner. The mechanic noted that it was lowered with springs, not with drop spindles. The truck rides good, and the mechanic said the springs were not cut.

My question is, how do I tell how much the truck has been lowered? It has tiny tires on it. The wheels are 15 inch rallies, and the tires are 215 – 60 size tires.
I am not sure if I want to keep it lowered, maybe lower the rear a little more to level it out, or return it to stock height. I think I will probably leave it alone for now, although I plan to get normal size tires, something like 275 – 60s.
Right now, it is around 12 inches from the ground to the center of the center cap, so the tire is approximately 24 inches tall. It is 27 1/2 inches from the ground to the top center of the front wheel well opening. It is 29 1/2 inches to the top center of the rear wheel well opening. Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post. Any help will be appreciated.

Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Mike's money pit is offline   Reply With Quote