The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
stoneguy56

rear bumper

Does anyone know if and what kind of rear bumper came on a 1986 c10 silverado was it a step bumper or a bumper like the front bumper,and if it came with a step bumper was it an option and should there be an option code for a step bumper in the glove box if it came with one. trying to turn my truck back to original....Thanks joe
stoneguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
bhc41051

Re: rear bumper

Joe, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a "standard rear bumper". When the truck was ordered (by the customer or dealership) you would have to specify the type of bumper you wanted. If you didn't specify a bumper your truck would be delivered with just a license plate holder/lamp on the drivers side of the bed sill. You're right there should be an option code.
bhc41051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
izzy_Britton

This is the rear bumper that is installed on my 86. I can only assume that it was installed on my truck at the dealer as a dealer option.

This is the 'sport' bumper installed on my 82, but it is identical to the one that was installed on my old 86.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
InitialBoss

That's interesting izzy. I have the diamond plate bumper on my 78. I wonder if it was a dealer option as well.
InitialBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #5
izzy_Britton

I believe it is (or was) universal dealer installed option. i have been under the impression for many many years that most of these trucks were delivered to the dealerships without any rear bumpers installed. I have only been under this impression that the trucks were delivered to the dealers without a rear bumper because of several sections in the vehicle code books for several different states about trucks not equiped with rear bumpers, license plate mounts or lights, blah blah blah.

I could be wrong, and most likely i am. :/

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #6
beamn7

My 85 Silverado was delivered with no bumper as underneath is the previously mentioned license plate holder with a light on the driver's side folded up against the bed floor with the wire cut. I'm assuming the current step bumper was dealer installed....
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneguy56 View Post
Does anyone know if and what kind of rear bumper came on a 1986 c10 silverado was it a step bumper or a bumper like the front bumper,and if it came with a step bumper was it an option and should there be an option code for a step bumper in the glove box if it came with one. trying to turn my truck back to original....Thanks joe
Here's a link to the free generic information packet from the GM Heritage Center archive, for an '86 Chevy pickup.

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs...olet-Truck.pdf

This will show you all the options and content that were available for the '86 model year.

Depending on how desparate you are, you can also send them $50 and your VIN and they will send you the vehicle invoice specific to your truck, including your original options and pricing.

Invoice: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=3

Having said all that, page 160 of the info packet shows three rear bumper options:

RPO VF1 - chrome rear bumper
RPO V42 - Rear step, chrome
RPO V43 - Rear step, painted

If no option was selected the truck was delivered with no rear bumper.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-25-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote