The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
66 C10 383

Fuel Cell Mods For EFI

I have a 66 C10 that I'm getting ready to drop in my 383 in. I'm trying to work with what I already have the best that I can. I'm also going with an internal pump setup. Daily driver with a TPI style EFI system. I have a friend who can mig weld that will be doing the mods on this fuel cell. No, it has never had fuel of any kind in it so vapors are not a concern, I bought it new.

From a previous project, I have a 20 gallon alum fuel cell.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-2200as/overview/

I plan on using this pump module in my fuel cell. Includes the Walbro pump.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd84.htm

Here's my plans ...

Since this fuel cell is longer (24") than it is wide (20"), I plan on removing the rear facing sump and the dual -8 outlets since I won't be needing them with the top mounted supply line in the module. I can then mount the cell in the truck frame "sideways" for a better fit. This would also put the sending unit on the side of the fuel cell. Would this be better moved to the rear of the fuel cell? Would it really matter?

This fuel cell has on the top a return and a vent with a rollover valve. How can I tell which one the rollover valve is mounted in? Since the fuel pump module has a vent already in it, should I block the one in the module and use the one in the fuel cell or block the cell and use the one in the module? Would it be better to remove both the return and vent from the cell and use the ones in the module?

Foam - my fuel cell has the foam in it. Should I remove it and use the reservoir tray in the module? Use both the reservoir tray and the foam? Is the foam just free floating inside or is it glued/fastened down somehow? Would it be better to remove the foam and weld in some aluminum baffles to cut down on fuel slosh?

The depth of the tank is 10". I'll naturally have it as high in the frame as possible but should I have it shortened for extra ground clearance? I only plan on dropping the rear of the truck 3" - 4" in the rear. I realize this would reduce the gallons it holds but who can afford to fill up with 20 gallons of fuel anyway ...

I'm guessing since the tank is vented already, I'd need a non-vented cap?

I need ideas on how to set this thing up ... I have done several searches and seen some of your fuel cell installs but these questions still remain ...

Doug
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: Fuel Cell Mods For EFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 C10 383 View Post
...How can I tell which one the rollover valve is mounted in?

Foam - my fuel cell has the foam in it. Should I remove it and use the reservoir tray in the module?
The rollover vent usually has a ball check assembly.

I would remove the foam, especially if you are running an in-tank pump since the foam has been known to breakdown and plug filters and pumps.

I would install a vent at least the same diameter size as the fuel supply line. You'll need one port for the fuel return line, and one for a filtered vent. I would mount/use the port furthest away from the fuel pump/pick up for the fuel return since that fuel will be warm and the returning fuel will create some aeration.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

With all this effort,,, I'd be simply looking to Rick for a tank. They make exactly what your needing and you can sell the cell you have to offset the price. I mean with everything your buying / modifying / changing here it just seems like it would be better to do let the experts do a tank exactly for what your building. I bought one of their EFI tanks for my 67 Camino resto-mod project. Pretty nice piece.

Here's a link to their truck page.
http://rickstanks.com/truck-gas-tanks.php

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I have to agree with Marv. With all the changes you are wanting to make, why not just get a tank already done with the EFI pump included. Here is another source for an aluminum fuel tank already setup for EFI.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=362307
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
66 C10 383

I bought a lot of the stuff I now have years ago when I was making better money than I'm making now. Economy and finances change. I was building an 86 Cutlass which is ancient history (aka long gone). I'll never get my money back on what I have even though most of it is new and never used. Rather than take a major loss which I can't afford especially if I have to re-buy what I already have. So, as stated at the very top, I have to make do with what I have. Sure the Rick's tanks and the Boyd's tanks are nice parts ... nicer than my wallet can handle.

I see no reason to sell a perfectly good RCI fuel cell which is now $299.97 for less than it's worth just so I can turn around and buy a $600 - $700 fuel cell just because it's fashioned a little differently. I have a friend who can do the welding to rearrange/refab my cell.

Whatever happened to the "build it" aspect of hot rodding rather than buy something and bolt it in ... I've rarely ever bought a bolt in part that didn't need something modified anyway ... so if I have to modify, why not just save hundreds of dollars and use what I already have anyways.

I do appreciate the replies, don't think I don't. That's just not an option for me. That's also the reason for me running an antique 20+ year old EFI system rather than a brand new LSx motor ... cash flow ... or lack thereof ...

vin63 - thanks so much for the ideas. After what you advised, I think I'll leave the return and vent where they are since they are both -8AN fittings and turn the cell sideways where the vent is in the rear and the return is in the front, relocate the sending unit to either the front or rear center, leave the fill just as is (for now at least) and put my pump module wherever it will fit best away from other items and remove the foam.

Doug
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 C10 383 View Post
...vin63 - thanks so much for the ideas. After what you advised, I think I'll leave the return and vent where they are since they are both -8AN fittings and turn the cell sideways where the vent is in the rear and the return is in the front, relocate the sending unit to either the front or rear center, leave the fill just as is (for now at least) and put my pump module wherever it will fit best away from other items and remove the foam...
No problem...I look forward to photos of your progress. I built my tank so that I can run either an in-tank or external pump for either a carbureted or fuel injected application. Here's a photo of my tank that is currently set up for a fuel injection delivery system. I have my returns (high pressure and low pressure) and filtered vent in the forward right corner (and another vent near the fill opening) at the access plate...the fuel pick up is to the left side of the tank. The blue tape covers the fuel sending/in-tank fuel pump mount.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote