The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
1985GMC

Front suspension rookie

1985 Gmc Vin M/ 350/ 4wd k2500 HD

I work at a automotive shop on the side. My main job is asphalt at my uncles. I have Acess to car lifts and big tools and ppl with a lot of experience. I have been rebuilding this truck and have shied away from the front suspension.

I need new ball joints as steering linkage bushings. Basically all the bushings need to be replaced. Can I tackle this project? I want to do it myself but not sure if I can. Coming from ppl on this site should I do it or just pay for it to be done?

I don't like paying for things to be done on this truck because its not worth it in my opinion.

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
1985GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
brakenit

Re: Front suspension rookie

I'm just about done rebuilding mine with all new bushings, drop spindles, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, and pitman/idler arm. I also replaced the brake rotors/calipers, steering box, and removed the engine crossmember to clean/paint everything.

I used mostly regular hand tools with the exception of a fairly strong impact, air hammer, propane torch, Harbor Freight Balljoint Press, and torque wrench.

I needed the impact for the cross shaft nuts, I used the air hammer to remove the heads off of the rivets of the upper balljoints and to remove the bushing sleeves. I used a small propane torch to burn out the bushings, it took a while but it worked. The Balljoint press worked well for removing/installing the lower balljoints and installing the bushing sleeves.

These pages came in handy:
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...n/frontend.htm

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1005t...p/viewall.html

I also watched a couple youtube videos to give me a better idea on how to get the bushing sleeves out. There are a few methods that work, you'd be best doing a little searching and figuring out which will work best for you based off of the tools available to you.

Overall it was a dirty job that required a lot of time and effort, but it will be worth it when it's done.
brakenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Sodell

I just did the same thing, you can still save a bunch of money by taking it all apart and have some one replace the bushings and lower ball joint. The upper is easy with a cut off wheel or grinder. You can get the bushings and lower ball joints replaced with the A-arms out for about $100.

There are some goo threads on here as well as some good You tube video's

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
1985GMC

Sounds fair. I want to do this to learn and save money. I have already did all the brakes front and back. Calipers, rotors, drums and shoes. I have done shocks and my springs are fine. This weekend I will look into it and deff check out those links thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
1985GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
bluex

The bushings are pretty easy. My uppers knocked out with the air hammer. The lowers I drilled out the rubber until I could pull what was left out with pliers. Then I took a hack saw blade and cut the inner sleeve. A couple of hits with a hammer to collapse it and it fell right out. If you get poly bushings you can put the outer sleeves in the freezer for a day or so before installing them and they will knock in with a hammer and piece of wood. You just got to be sorta quick about it and get them in before they warm up. On the uppers you can install one and then you have to put the cross shaft in because it wont fit otherwise. Kinda makes it a little harder but nothing to bad. You also need something to put in between the "ears" of the control arms so they dont bend. You can put both outer sleeves in the lower before installing the cross shaft.

Its not a bad job, I dont think its worth paying someone $100 or more to do it. All you need is to rent a ball joint press for the lower ball joint. Grind the rivets off the upper and then drill through the rest and knock out any thats left with a punch and hammer. When you reinstall the upper ball joints the nuts go on the TOP away from the boot! I see alot of people do this wrong, they even did it on TRUCKS! the other day....

Also dont torque the cross shafts nuts until the truck is back on the ground sitting at ride height. Otherwise you preload the bushings and thats not good....
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
mooseknuckles

there's only one way to learn....and you wont be a rookie anymore either...
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
frog210

i cut the busjing with a hack saw flush with the outer control arms
(didnt think of that drill like mentioned above)
i got a screwdriver and a hammer, and keep hitting it in the rubber to make splits, i would wiggle the screwdriver, the i poured some gas on the bushing let it burn, then stick the screwdriver wiggle it around, and break some of the rubber out, repeat that step as many times as needed, you will get it out,

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote