The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
71GeneralMotorsCorp

More electrical problems.. :(

hey guys, need some assistance. My truck has been down for quite a while, and I've been putting all new stuff in, and I'm down to the final stuff.. I've replaced the cap, rotor, ign control module, coil, main power wire from battery to starter, starter, power wire from starter to distributor. All grounds are clean, but my truck just cranks, with no fire. I get no power to the distributor, all I can think that is left is the battery, external voltage regulator ( the one that fits on the core support), or the ignition switch. Please help me figure this annoying problem out, I'd really appreciate it!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
mmiddle

Re: More electrical problems.. :(

Check actual cranking voltage at the distributor. Must be more the 9.5

The original ignition uses a ballast resister from the Ignition switch to the distributor to reduce the 12volts to 9.5 volts for points. Remove this resister and replace the original 16/14 gauge wire with a 10 gauge wire from switch to dist. Tie in the starter solenoid wire(NOT purple wire) from the starter to the new 10 gauge ignition "ON".
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm presuming you have an HEI distributor since you mention replacing the module.

First, there is no power wire from the starter to the distributor on an HEI setup.

Run a 12 ga. wire from the IGN UNFUSED terminal on the fuse block to the "BAT" terminal on the distributor cap. Make sure the wire is not on the "TACH" terminal. You do not use the yellow wire that used to feed the points distributor from the "R" terminal on the solenoid. Tape it off or completely remove it. The picture below shows the IGN UNFUSED terminal on the fuse block.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
mmiddle

That's right generally you do not need the wire from the starter solenoid to the dist. But, it does not hurt to have it. The extra assurance that it provides in cranking voltage is a good thing on a weak battery or failing starter. HEI's are very voltage sensitive.

During the production run 74-~85 some cars/trucks had it some did not. Chevrolets generally did not have that wire.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
franken

If it cranks at a good rate, it's not the battery, switch or regulator.
Measure the Voltage at the distributor.
Check for spark.
Or shoot some ether, B12, or carb cleaner in the carb and cranking it. This is the easy test...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
71GeneralMotorsCorp

It does have HEI, and I forgot to mention, I was driving it when it broke down. It acted basically like it ran out of gas and before you ask, It does have gas in it lol. It just cranks now and does not fire. There is almost no voltage at the distributor at all, so do I just put a wire in from my fuse block to the battery terminal on my distributor? Or can I run a wire from my battery to the distributor? AND do I keep the wire from the starter to the distributor? Also, since my truck has been down, I put my new Tach dash in.. before I replaced, my old one was working fine. The new dash has a problem with the backlights and fuel guage. The backlights do not light up at all and the fuel guage is way below empty. Help please? Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

One thing to remember is all voltages begin and return to the battery. A good ground loop is needed to return voltages from the engine, cab, bed, frame and radiator support. New trucks relied on new metal to metal contact which has long ago diminished contact due to road grime and rust.

If you haven't done it already, and to keep from having to chase electrical gremlins, start by installing ground straps from engine to cab, bed to frame, radiator support to frame (I put another one from cab to the frame).

Once you do that, then you can proceed with the above trouble shooting.

forgot to mention: make sure the gauge panel has the ground wire attached to metal dash.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GeneralMotorsCorp View Post
It does have HEI, and I forgot to mention, I was driving it when it broke down. It acted basically like it ran out of gas and before you ask, It does have gas in it lol. It just cranks now and does not fire. There is almost no voltage at the distributor at all, so do I just put a wire in from my fuse block to the battery terminal on my distributor? Or can I run a wire from my battery to the distributor? AND do I keep the wire from the starter to the distributor? Also, since my truck has been down, I put my new Tach dash in.. before I replaced, my old one was working fine. The new dash has a problem with the backlights and fuel guage. The backlights do not light up at all and the fuel guage is way below empty. Help please? Thanks in advance!!
For what it's worth, the same thing happened to me. Mine quit at a stoplight to get on the freeway during rush hour. After I got it home, I replaced the module in the HEI and the coil. When that didn't work, I gave up and took it to my mechanic. Turns out is was the ignition switch.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
71GeneralMotorsCorp

Boy oh boy. I'm lost.. still! I replaced my ignition switch, recharged my battery, and put a new external voltage regulator on. still has less than one volt while cranking! GAH! Although, I did put a ground wire on my dash panel, and it solved all my problems for the dash!

So, If you don't feel like reading back through it, I have replaced my cap, rotor, coil, ignition control module, starter, main positive battery cable, cable from starter to HEI distributor, and Ignition switch. I'm about ready to just take it to the shop, and get it over with!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
71 super

Did you run the wire as Leon told you to do? If not a 10 gauge or greater the hei will not get voltage it needs and could fry the new module. Did you place the dielectric grease per instructions for module? It sounds like you are not powering the hei adequately and that is the root of your problem. You have changed alot of things all at once and any of those could have compounded the issue. Run the bigger wire from fuse box directly to "bat" terminal on cap, prime the carb and spin the motor over. If no go pull number one plug out and see if it is getting spark or if it had been fouled out, if fouled get new plugs and try again.
Posted via Mobile Device
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
mmiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GeneralMotorsCorp View Post
Boy oh boy. I'm lost.. still! I replaced my ignition switch, recharged my battery, and put a new external voltage regulator on. still has less than one volt while cranking! GAH! Although, I did put a ground wire on my dash panel, and it solved all my problems for the dash!

So, If you don't feel like reading back through it, I have replaced my cap, rotor, coil, ignition control module, starter, main positive battery cable, cable from starter to HEI distributor, and Ignition switch. I'm about ready to just take it to the shop, and get it over with!
Well, there's yer problem right there!
These trucks have a very simple electrical system. Ether you have something wired wrong or the "ignition on" wire has a brake in it. Do you have a wiring diagram for it?

Use the Fuse box diagram shown and confirm you have Battery voltage at the "IGN. ON unfused" terminal. Then with meter hooked up to this terminal crank engine. What is you voltage. If less than 10volts cranking, unhook Dizzy wire at Dizzy. Recrank engine. 10 volts or more at terminal. Check wire going to Dizzy for ground-out. still less than 10volts? Check battery, check all connections.

Another test you could do is run a wire 10ga.From Batt straight to Dizzy, Then crank engine. Did it start? Yes- continue tracing electrical short.NO-something in Dizzy is bad.

You can do it....We can help!