The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
zac

K10 Burb brake questions

Hey guys:

I have a '70 K10 Burb that is a bit of a mystery. I believe it was a 2wd truck swapped onto a 4x4 burb chassis--it is a suburban chassis. Based on the transfer case stick, I think it is a '70 chassis as well. It has a 10 bolt front axle that someone swapped in, apparently to get disc brakes. I have been doing brake work on this truck and realized that someone swapped the whole booster/master cylinder/proportioning valve set up onto the truck as well. Makes sense. I have a '72 K10 basketcase burb as well that I'm using for parts. I will eventually swap the D44 from the '72 to the '70. The '72 had stainless brake lines, but as I try to swap them onto the '70 I'm finding that the frame lacks holes, brackets and all kinds of things for the later set up. Were '70 K10 trucks even offered with front discs? If they were, the systems were quite a bit different. The back axle is entirely different, different hose fitings, tee block, frame bracket for hose, different drums, etc. Also, where do I get front brake hoses? All the local stores said they can't get them. I need the ones for the '72. Thanks
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: K10 Burb brake questions

Chev. didn't put disc brakes on the trucks till 71 up. They were disc on all the light duty (10-30 series) after that. Its true the parts stores don't list hoses for the 72 4X4. You could probably get them from Inland Tube or the other brake specialty co.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
zac

Re: K10 Burb brake questions

Thanks for the info. I guess I just assumed that disc brakes were an option on 4x4 trucks by 1970. I have a rough plan on how to get the whole '72 system swapped over, but it will take some time...
zac is offline   Reply With Quote