The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
jessewebb

sound deadener

Anyone know how much sound deadener it would take to do the inside of a cab? I'd like to do the firewall, floor board, under the seat and up the back of the cab. I removed the gas tank. How many feet or yards? Also a good brand name that's worth the price, not wanting to pay for the name. I've seen some no-name brands, is that worth putting in? Thanks for any info, Pete

69 SWB work in progress
97 Ranger 6in. lift on 35's
04 325i lady's ride
jessewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
magicoolbus

Re: sound deadener

4 rolls of Peel and Seal. I used aluminum tape to seal up the joints.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
MidLifer

I used Raammat, and was pleased. Its a bit cheaper than the "big brands". I then put a layer of Ensolite foam and mass-loaded vinyl on that. See pics here https://picasaweb.google.com/1102505...eat=directlink

Before you do this, take some time to read the info at www.sounddeadenershowdown.com. The metallic mat products do not stop sound transmission into the cab, it merely dampens vibrations. You only need to cover 40% of the sheet metal for it to work. To deaden road/exhaust noise, you need mass-loaded vinyl. You can find it at construction supply stores, it is used to deaden noise in buildings. You can also get it online, but it is heavy so shipping is expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
dazza

I used Second Skin,
I bought it a few years ago and installed it... but... umm, just now getting back to finishing up the truck!
I think it was a combination of their Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro, I just remember the website saying it would be "coffin like"! Well I haven't a chance to test it on the road yet, just tapping on the doors or closing them sounds super solid. The combo of both is pretty thick (approx. 1/2") and I actually struggled a bit putting my window regulators back in.
I can look it up and see the amount I ordered, it wasn't super expensive but not cheap either. I got lucky because I think back then it was a one man show and he only sent the door kit when I ordered the whole cab and because it weighs so much he just said keep the extra!
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
turp mcspray

I just finished doing a bunch of research on this, and also ordered some Raammat. Hasn't even showed up yet. Back when I did a lot of rock crawling, all the heat from the engine, trans, and exhaust, radiating through the floor, was just about unbearable! I saw some of that bubblewrap, with foil on both sides, at Menards for about $40, for a 4ft. x ? roll. I figured as cheap as it was, I wouldn't be out much, if it didn't work. It was enough to do the inside of my blazer from the bottom of the factory firewall pad, to the tailgate. And had enough left over to double up over the trans tunnel and exhaust areas. I've never used any Dynamat type of product, so I can't compare the two, and I'm not saying it does the same thing, but it did make a HUGE difference in both noise and heat!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
bbadfred
bbadfred

Fatmat. Two rolls covered with some left over pretty reasonable compared to the "name brands". It is asphalt based. Pretty quiet and lower part of the cab does not get as hot. A/C does not have to work real hard with untinted windows.
bbadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
jessewebb

Some good info. I bought new carpet and the padding that goes under it, and the firewall pad. I used some other stuff like the dynomat on my old cab on the firewall, helped with the heat, I had a rubber mat in the floor, that's about it. I bought a different cab and there just finishing up the inside. So I need to make up my mind quick. Thanks again for the info

69 SWB work in progress
97 Ranger 6in. lift on 35's
04 325i lady's ride
jessewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
midnight rambler

Peel n seal
Posted via Mobile Device
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote