The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
mac57truck

Flatout Engineering 55-59

Anyone installed vette front and rear using Flatout kit?
mac57truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Re: Flatout Engineering 55-59

I haven't YET, I will be really soon. I went by their shop last Friday (about 20 or so miles away) and looked at their kits installed on a front frame section. I went mainly because when I talked to the guy on the phone he couldn't tell me where the CL of wheel was in relation to the bottom of the frame rail. Found out it is 2-1/2" (approximately) above the bottom of the frame rail. I looked at the rear kit also and am probably just going to fabricate my own brackets as it looks very simple to make.
Although I will say that it is a well built crossmember for the front, and am going to buy that one.
I will be installing it on my wife's 55.2 suburban both front and rear. It looked as though they have everything in stock as the shelves were pretty full of parts and crossmembers. The gentleman I met there was very nice and polite as well as a pleasure to talk to.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 AM   #3
mac57truck

I have both complete kits and components for the Vette.
I may go a different direction with a project though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Current project 1957 chevy short box with C-4 Vette suspensions front and rear.lots more mods to come.Will be LS1 powered when it finally hits the road.I also plan to use a 58 Fleetside box in order to be different.Still in the building stages.
mac57truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
97ss150

i am interested in your brackets if you are selling them. email me airborneasthma yahoo.com
97ss150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
lt155ruck

I've got a front one in mine.
lt155ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt155ruck View Post
I've got a front one in mine.
Any pictures of the work happening?

I'm picking up the IFS off an '87 in November (its located a distance away). I keep debating with installing it or going dropped axle. Yes, I KNOW the IFS will ride much better and lower it without as much drama over bumpsteer.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Daze57

i am running an 85 vette rear set up in my 57
used the flat out kit - very happy with it
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze57 View Post
i am running an 85 vette rear set up in my 57
used the flat out kit - very happy with it
Daze, Since you've done it- Are their parts all they promise? Fit and Finish good? Everything bolts right up?

Curious what you're using up front?

Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Daze57

hey dan
i must say that the kit i got worked out very well - all parts fit with just a slight bit of tweeeking ( not enough to get me all bent outta shape). Everything i needed was in the kit - i opted for the coilovers . i measured a bunch of times and it all worked great.
i had all my parts powder coated and again all the parts fit very well.
strange as it sounds -my front susp. is (ready for this? ) 69 firebird rear steer .
I had this chassis clipped over 30 years ago and it has worked out fine.
I put on ( ready for this too?) 74 buick apollo spindels and discs and a huge sway bar i found in the j yard . I have thought about changing to a different set up in front but i am v happy with what i have .
hope some of this helps ya in you decision.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
97ss150

i am stoked about doing mine. cant wait
97ss150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Daze. The member here that's selling me this IFS is giving me a sweet deal on it. I'll have to buy an R&P rack but that oughta be cheap enough through Rock Auto it even one from the junkyard - IF it doesn't show obvious leakage/damage.

Another member; Fabguy, who posted above has even offered to help me. I want to help do his wife's Burb so I can see exactly what to be ready for when I do it. I can see powder coating the rear as the brackets bolt in, right? But the front has to be welded in so it'll get painted on mine.

Keeping the straight axle is what I think about when I get scared & lazy!

Old 10-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I can see powder coating the rear as the brackets bolt in, right? But the front has to be welded in so it'll get painted on mine.
That is exactly what I am gonna do, A VERY wise man on this sight had talked to me about the disadvantages of powder coating the frame and he is absolutely right. I would change something or notice something I didnt like then change it, which would mean re Powder coating a few times( since I did it alot with my truck, thank god that frame was just painted)

Quote:
Keeping the straight axle is what I think about when I get scared & lazy!
Don't be scared Dan, I will be there every step of the way to help and too weld it up for ya.
As far as the lazy part, I get that way too sometimes and have to take a break from it.

My F.B. project page.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabguy View Post
...Don't be scared Dan, I will be there every step of the way to help and too weld it up for ya.
As far as the lazy part, I get that way too sometimes and have to take a break from it.
Ok, you kick me in the ass periodically, and I'll bring beer!

Not "scared" to do it but I know me and I get a bad case of the, "While-I'm-In-There's" ....but....my budget is never as big as my "ganas" - that's "desire" to you guys.

By the way Mike, when are you starting your wife's? I wanna help (if you don't mind). I can be your "shop boy".

Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Ok, you kick me in the ass periodically, and I'll bring beer!

Not "scared" to do it but I know me and I get a bad case of the, "While-I'm-In-There's" ....but....my budget is never as big as my "ganas" - that's "desire" to you guys.

By the way Mike, when are you starting your wife's? I wanna help (if you don't mind). I can be your "shop boy".
Ganas, lol I haven't heard that in a long time.

I got the same way with mine, I started out by putting a big block in it and it took off from there.

As for the Burban, I am hoping to start it in a few weeks, I am only holding off because I am working a deal on a few 55-57 panels 1st. I am working on that 1st because I am gonna use one of those frames instead of shortening the long bed frame. And I can use the lower rockers also since mine are cancered out pretty bad. I will let you know when I get ready to buy the crossmember.

My F.B. project page.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Daze57

dan

yes all my brackets bolted in . i had all the brackets powder coated and the frame at the same time .- i didnt have to do a lot of changes so i didnt do a lot of extra powder coat - although i can see what fabguy means.
good luck dan let us know how it comes out
also welding it in is the other option - and i am sure it will turn out nice . ( measure alot )
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Btw Dan, it would be great for both of us if you came by to help. I am looking forward to it.

My F.B. project page.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #17
Daze57

nice photos
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
lt155ruck

A couple more
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
sqrlnts

Great looking install! Is their an official list of parts needed to do the Flat Out front end, couldn't find one on their site? Just from looking it seems to be UCA, LCA, spindle, rotor, caliper, rack and some coilovers? What about motor mounts? Anything else?
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #20
lt155ruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrlnts View Post
Great looking install! Is their an official list of parts needed to do the Flat Out front end, couldn't find one on their site? Just from looking it seems to be UCA, LCA, spindle, rotor, caliper, rack and some coilovers? What about motor mounts? Anything else?
Donor parts are as you listed, don't forget the rack retainer bracket. The coil overs are optional from Flatout. The motor mounts are a tubular street rod set I think from Speedway.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #21
sqrlnts

lt155ruck, First off, I would love to see more pictures of you 55 Cameo, perhaps here? I have some questions about your install if you don't mind?

1. What steering column and steering shaft setup did you use?

2. What Master Cylinder did you use?

3. If you installed the front crossmember, any tips you can pass on? Thanks!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #22
sqrlnts

Sorry for hijacking this bird but need to ask. One is bound to run into a worn out power steering rack being 30 years old. Any racks preferred over others? Rock Auto has rebuilt racks from $139-$159. On the other hand, found a place called Zips that offers them for $209 rebuilt.

Also what about sport vs standard racks? 2.5 turns vs 2 turns.

Do I need to run the PS pump from the Corvette or can I use an earlier pump that would bolt to my 70's era block?

Thanks again.

Last edited by sqrlnts; 01-17-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #23
lt155ruck

I'll see if I can mock them up to take pics in the next couple days. Essentially it is a Flaming River steering u-joint on the rack to an intermediate shaft held by a heim end. Another u joint on the other end of the intermediate shaft and another short shaft to the 70's tilt van column. Lol. Pics would be so much better. As for the master cylinder, I used a no limit power brake bracket that uses the Mustang booster and master. I swapped out the regular master for one from an SVO/Cobra.
The install of the front cross member was very straight forward. The Great thing is that you don't have to worry about the geometry or the top hats like a Mustang 2 front end. Just make sure that the frame is straight and square and the cross never is where you want it. I centered the wheels in the wheel well opening on mine. .. a small difference. Two comments about the install/kit. The boxing plates are a bit short, I made longer ones. Second, depending on where you want the motor to sit.... modifying the firewall could be required. .
Old 01-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #24
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt155ruck View Post
I'll see if I can mock them up to take pics in the next couple days. Essentially it is a Flaming River steering u-joint on the rack to an intermediate shaft held by a heim end. Another u joint on the other end of the intermediate shaft and another short shaft to the 70's tilt van column. Lol. Pics would be so much better. As for the master cylinder, I used a no limit power brake bracket that uses the Mustang booster and master. I swapped out the regular master for one from an SVO/Cobra.
The install of the front cross member was very straight forward. The Great thing is that you don't have to worry about the geometry or the top hats like a Mustang 2 front end. Just make sure that the frame is straight and square and the cross never is where you want it. I centered the wheels in the wheel well opening on mine. .. a small difference. Two comments about the install/kit. The boxing plates are a bit short, I made longer ones. Second, depending on where you want the motor to sit.... modifying the firewall could be required. .
Thanks for the input. I appreciate the reply.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #25
guy51usa

I would like to see apic of truck using flatout kit , curious about stance.
guy51usa is offline   Reply With Quote