The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
hotrodder

extended cab, and 4 door

hey guys.. I am usually on the 60=66 site, but now I need directions on doing some work on a 48. My son-in-law purchased a 48 5 window and he wants to build either a extended cab, or do a 4 door. I am a retired bodyman so I have some experience ad the tools to d the job ( I THINK!!), Anyway are there any threads on here to do this? Thanks for the help, I'm sure I will be visiting here a lot from now on!
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: extended cab, and 4 door

There are a few threads and several ways to do it. I'm extending the cab I'm building now 9-1/4 inches through the doors so I can have an extended cab and run my short box on a long bed frame. With the other mods the general concept is long and low when it's done but try to look like it was intended to be that way when it's finished.

If it was a three window cab you could extend the cab behind the doors and put in a quarterwindow with a shape that matched the other window frames. I drug home a very rusted out and stripped suburban about fifteen years ago to do just that and saved the window sections from about six inches below the window openings to six inches above them for the openings. At that time I was going to extend the cab 18 inches. After seeing some extended that much I passed on the idea.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
mr48chev

There are a few threads and several ways to do it. I'm extending the cab I'm building now 9-1/4 inches through the doors so I can have an extended cab and run my short box on a long bed frame. With the other mods the general concept is long and low when it's done but try to look like it was intended to be that way when it's finished.

If it was a three window cab you could extend the cab behind the doors and put in a quarterwindow with a shape that matched the other window frames. I drug home a very rusted out and stripped suburban about fifteen years ago to do just that and saved the window sections from about six inches below the window openings to six inches above them for the openings. At that time I was going to extend the cab 18 inches. After seeing some extended that much I passed on the idea.

Here a few photos I've saved off the net over the past few years.

This one was on Ebay a couple of years ago and got a lot of comments on here.

This one is out of the Portland Oregon area and you don't really notice the stretch in the doors at first

That truck has more mods done to it than one can count and you don't notice many of them at first glance meaning he did it right.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
hotrodder

Thanks for the pics. I really like the looks of the extended cab. How much do you think that extension is? The truck my-son-in-law got is a farm truck, dual wheels, and in real solid shape. He wants to leave the duals. Thanks again, if you come across any more pics I would appericate it.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Bomp

Im currently doing a 5" "stretch cab" on a '66.
Still a work in progress.
Good luck on your build
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
_Ogre

yes it's a task force but well done
all doors stretched, took 8 doors to build

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
mr48chev

I'm thinking that one is about four or five inches extra in the doors Hotrodder.

There is/was an AD truck in the pnw (painted bright red) that is a 100% show truck that has the doors stretched six and a half inches with no chop that is done so well you don't notice the stretch at first. It was always in the indoor shows in Seattle at the Expo center between the ball fields. PNW guys will remember it as the one with everything on the chassis chromed. Somewhere I have photos of it but they would take hours to find (not digital).

Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
RedneckRodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'm thinking that one is about four or five inches extra in the doors Hotrodder.

There is/was an AD truck in the pnw (painted bright red) that is a 100% show truck that has the doors stretched six and a half inches with no chop that is done so well you don't notice the stretch at first. It was always in the indoor shows in Seattle at the Expo center between the ball fields. PNW guys will remember it as the one with everything on the chassis chromed. Somewhere I have photos of it but they would take hours to find (not digital).
I saw the truck you're talking about at a local show about 2 months ago in Smokey Point. Its deffinetly a show truck, but he is driving it now. Belongs to an older guy that's about 7' tall. I pointed out to my wife the truck was stretched and he was immediately at my side talking about the stretch.

Wish I would have taken some pictures.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
RedneckRodder is offline   Reply With Quote