The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
qksilver

short pump bracket and pulley guru's?

Been messing around with this for quite a few years, looks like I am getting very close.

I have a 65 burb, posted pix last year when I got it, that I finally decided what engine that I am going to replace the 250 with. I started with going to go with a hot rodded six, sold everything to do that except for the headers, then a sweet 327 with 3 dueces, sold that to board member scottH, then a 350 which I am going to post then a 5.3.

Finally going t with a 283 nicely rebuilt that I picked up years ago. I am going with a period look, so complete short water pump accessory set, A/C, P/S and alt. I have an aluminum which has the alt mount boss on it but I have to drill out the oil fill boss and will paint it, then I have the corvette 2 1/2 ram horn manifolds with the alt mount on the drivers side and i am going to go with the 7 fin vette valve covers with no oil or pcv.

I went thru some boxes while cleaning up today and found a I think complete set of a/c brackets with a nice compressor. I will post a pix of what I have been using as a reference guide , thats where the questions come up.

I mocked it up and the only difference I can see by the only pix I have is that the bracket brace that runs from the compressor to under the radiator hose is slightly different, mine mounts to the top passenger side of the water pump and to the front bolt of the intake. Is there another bracket/brace that runs from the back of the compressor, under the compressor to let say the manifold some where? or is the one pictured that bolts to a bracket that straddles two intake bolts the only one in the back?

Plus, I have gone thru all my pulleys and can't seen to come up with the right 2 grove water pump pulley, even with spacers etc can get it to align with the A/C and alt. Either the pulley diameter is wrong, like a 250 six 2 grove or that there is about a 1/4 between the groves, I need stacked groves with no real space between the pulleys, same problems with the bottom < crank, pulley. I have the third grove pulley for the P/S it seems to be the same as the add on pulley that 250 use for A/C.

I ned the pulleys 2 grove for the water pump and crank, HELP! where do I get cheap factory pulleys. I have found quite a few different ones on line that are billet, chrome or........what ever but they don't show the groves or give the depth.

So , anybody have pix of the back of a mounted compressor and the pulleys?> or possibly the pulleys I need?
I have bad medical issue's so energy wise I need to do this simply, I spent 5 hours today mocking things up and can barley type.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

Re: short pump bracket and pulley guru's?

I searched quite a bit and couldn't find anything. I had a similar problem with my 283. You need to have all the bracketry from a short water pump set up or nothing lines up. The 283 doesn't have a lot of holes in the block either which makes it more challenging. I changed my driver's side exhaust ramshorn so I could get one with the bolt holes. That helped a lot. I could then move my alternator from the PS spot to the upper location. I don't have A/C or power steering so I was ok to do this. I think you've done this as well.
I would recommend going to some car shows and see what others have. The 283 was used in a lot of 60's cars and there may be something that looks close and you could snap a pic of it. There should be some pics on this forum too.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)
1998 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, 5.7L V8 [SOLD]
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
qksilver

My a/c set is exactly like your picture with an additional bracket on the front that goes from the upper water pump bolt, passenger side and the first intake bolt passenger side to the compressor.

It's the pulleys and if there is an additional bracket beside the one to the intake on the back of the compressor.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Livrat
Member #1049

Steve, here is a picture that may help you out. these are all factory 71/72 brackets/pulleys
Attached Images

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
qksilver

so it looks like there is a rear lower bracket that possibly to the exhaust manifold. my blood sugar is messed up so my eyes are fuzzy

thanks,
Steve
Old 08-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
rsavage

If you have stock 283 heads on the motor, they probably won't have accessory holes. The bottom bolt of the alternator bolts to a bracket that bolts to the front of the ram horm exhaust manifold on the driver's side, and the top to a slide bracket that bolts to the water pump. The PS pump, also on the driver's side has a bracket that bolts to the two holes on the bottom front of the block.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: short pump bracket and pulley guru's?

Here is the complete bracket set for my 71 307 motor for the old A-6 compressor I took them off when I swapped over to the little compressor.
The one bracket cut in the picture has been replaced with a new one now.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
qksilver

Thanks, I see what I am missing, I don't have the brackets, the cast bracket in the middle top and he short plate bracket bolted to it. The ones that I guessed bolted to the exhaust manifold.

Rsavage, yes i know, that's why I am having such problems. I want to keep the old school look. Otherwise i would have use another 327 or 350 which had 462 heads with accessory holes.

Still need pulleys and that bracket, it will probably another few years! at least I have the Alt and P/S steering brackets right. Still have to get pulleys though

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Legolas894
Chemist under the hood...

Check this link out-He has some set ups for sale

http://www.thepartguy.com/ac-mountscompALL.htm

Current fleet:
2013 GMC Sierra, 5.3L, 4x4
1988 GMC Sierra, 305, Auto
1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, 360 V8
1997 VW Cabrio, 2.0L
2017 Toyota Rav4, 2.5L

Stuff I wish I still had:
2013 Toyota Matrix [RIP]
1967 GMC 910 Fleetside, 283 V8 [1st Love-SOLD]
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4, 4.0 I-6 [SOLD}
1994 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 5.7LV8 [SOLD]
1995 Chevrolet Astro AWD, 4.3L V6 (RIP)
1998 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4, 5.7L V8 [SOLD]
Legolas894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
qksilver

Sweet , I wonder why it didn't come up when I did about 4 hours on the internet.

Thanks,
steve