The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Sam Carlson

Keeping the original paint while stopping rust

Hello to all of you,

I recently received from my father-in-law a wonderful gift in the form of a 1950 Chevy 3100 pick-up, in original condition and completely stock. It was in the dry air of Montana and well-maintained all its life so has held up well. I had it shipped to my home in Vermont which is much more humid. I drive it daily, never over 35 mph.

The paint is original, dark green, with a great patina. I do not want to re-paint or do a complete restoration job but instead just want to "freeze" the paint in its current condition, which means stopping the rust. Is there a product I can put on the exterior so that the rust stops without making the exterior all shiny?

I'm NOT a mechanic nor do I have much experience with old vehicles, so would appreciate any advice/wisdom this group could share with me.

I have some photos attached so people can see the condition of the truck.

Grateful for any help,

Sincerely,

Sam Carlson
South Burlington, Vermont
Attached Images

Sam Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
dubie

Re: Keeping the original paint while stopping rust

the best way to preserve it in the condition of patina it's in, is to scuff it all, wash it down and shoot a satin clear coat over the entire thing. It'll have a dull low gloss finish like it does now, but everything will be sealed and protected from rusting further. Or you could use CLR and a scotch brite pad and scrub the rust off to expose what paint is left under neath. Check out this link from our paint and body forum
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447159

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Carlson View Post
Hello to all of you,

I recently received from my father-in-law a wonderful gift in the form of a 1950 Chevy 3100 pick-up, in original condition and completely stock. It was in the dry air of Montana and well-maintained all its life so has held up well. I had it shipped to my home in Vermont which is much more humid. I drive it daily, never over 35 mph.

The paint is original, dark green, with a great patina. I do not want to re-paint or do a complete restoration job but instead just want to "freeze" the paint in its current condition, which means stopping the rust. Is there a product I can put on the exterior so that the rust stops without making the exterior all shiny?

I'm NOT a mechanic nor do I have much experience with old vehicles, so would appreciate any advice/wisdom this group could share with me.

I have some photos attached so people can see the condition of the truck.

Grateful for any help,

Sincerely,

Sam Carlson
South Burlington, Vermont
That's not what I'd label patina. The paint is totally gone in those areas and phosphoric acid will stop and remove the rust while leaving a light phosphorous coating that will resist rust for months. Then you'll need to repeat the acid wash. Phosphoric acid is relatively safe as acids go; it's in Coca Cola. Lots of products have phosphoric acid as their main ingredient and they are usually labeled as rust removers.

Since you asked for advice, that truck looks like a prime candidate for restoration. Put it back like new, drive it 55 mph, and one day give it to your grandchildren.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
NEWFISHER

wash with CLR found at a Hardware store, repeat as needed and wax the #$%^ out of it.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Dan in Pasadena

Thumbs down Re: Keeping the original paint while stopping rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
wash with CLR found at a Hardware store, repeat as needed and wax the #$%^ out of it.
Agree but remember that wax is a sacrificial coating. It's true purpose isn't really to make the paint shine. It's true purpose is to be eaten by the Sun's UV rays. The Sun WILL break down whatever is on the surface - that's why that rust is there in the first place! It ate the paint over decades because the paint was not protected.

Keep on waxing boys! I do one panel every time I wash my cars - weekly. I default to doing the roof, hood & trunk lids more often as they get more direct exposure. New car paint is waay more durable than the old factory lacquers were; even if much thinner. You CAN keep new paints looking new virtually forever with the right care.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
_Ogre

clr wash and clear coat it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
av8tr33337

This is a picture of one my cousin did.

They did the body work then a pho-tina finish on everything but the hood.

Here is a description of the process they did, but to simplify I would just scuff it all with scotchbrite or clean with CLR and scotchbrite, and clear it with a satin finish.

It was clear coated using a universal matting agent PG SU 4985.
mixed to simulate egg shell shine. But you can go flatter if you mix more
in. Mixed 8 oz of clear 1 oz hardener and 4 oz of matting agent. The hood was not painted just knocked the loose rust off and sprayed with the
clear coat mix.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote