The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
WEBBY1

how to?

what is all involved turning a tbi into carburetor? just intake and carb?
thanks... might have a lead on low mileage tbi 350 for cheap. planning on throwing a couple goodies in it and throwing it into my 65 stepper
Posted via Mobile Device
WEBBY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: how to?

If you are getting the harness/computer, keep it injected! Better mileage, starting, driving. If you really want to change it over, intake (matched to your heads, will depend on year of the engine), carb, and standard HEI.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
luvbowties

Question Re: how to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBBY1 View Post
what is all involved turning a tbi into carburetor? just intake and carb?
thanks... might have a lead on low mileage tbi 350 for cheap. planning on throwing a couple goodies in it and throwing it into my 65 stepper
Posted via Mobile Device
Varies by make/model of tbi engine. What is make & model of the donor vehicle, and what extras or options are on that donor? (Actually, some tbi-350's are simple enough that one should be tempted to keep/swap the fuel injection.)
With this requested info, forum may be able to provide a list of required mods to install simply into your '65.

Actually, I have a 1990's 5.7 Vortec in my '66. Merely installed a used edelbrock performer rpm intake for vortec heads that I got for $65; a quadrajet carb I paid $10 for and rebuilt myself(got lotsa good-to-have experience w/ q'jets); a stock ~1976-1979 hei distributor I paid like $20 for; short reverse-rotation water pump from Advance Auto Parts [to mate w/the single serpentine belt front accessories system]; an Ebay [quality, new, unused, from an individual: don't recall price, maybe $30-$40?] electric inline fuel pump necessitated by engine having no provision for a mechanical pump; and standard coated headers for a '66 truck using a sbc.

Incidentally I used a 700R4 aod [out of a tbi'd '90 Camaro that was given to me]. That 700R4 worked out quite ideally with the 3.73 differential that came in the 1966 pickup.

HTH & good luck. Keep in mind that lotsa tbi'd 5.7's[and 5.0's, iirc] came with roller cams, which is gooooood. Also, as long as that fuel-injected engine was serviced regularly, high mileage would not turn me off if it still runs good. Used a 2003 engine recently, tranny et al, to update a tired 1961 C10--the '03 truck had 192,000 miles and checked out with 'shop-gauges' as well as 3 weeks' personal driving. All gasket areas were as dry as new, so we installed into the '61 w/o even changing vc gaskets--and note that my mechanic-partner and I both detest a leak!

Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
WEBBY1

Re: how to?

thanks for the info.. I found carbed 350 with everything I need..
Posted via Mobile Device
WEBBY1 is offline   Reply With Quote