The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
69chevy lwb

engine cutting out 292

I have a 292 I6 in my 69 c10 and ithas ran flawlessly until my last car show trip which ended up being 500 miles or so on the way home I noticed a small cut out in the engine when going up an incline and it has seemed to get worse since. I thought it was a fuel issue maybe the diaphragm going bad in the fuel pump so I replaced that, the fuel filter , and the carb filter with no success. So I looked into electrical problems thinking maybe the coil was dying but seemed okay other than the old hei was worn out so I replaced it with a new one no luck so I'm not sure where to look now there's no carbon build up like I'm arcing through a wire but I have limited it down to 2200 rpm and up and gets worse from there the cut out feels like a total loss of power at times or it will rhythmically run fine for 3 sec then give 3 cut outs then repeat any ideas? Sorry for the novel
Posted via Mobile Device
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: engine cutting out 292

I'd look at the carb float adjustments next. Maybe a good rebuild and cleaning. Be sure and check the carb gaskets carefully.

Other than carb and ignition problems there are other possibilities including timing and vacuum advance leaking internally (should hold vacuum with mouth suction).

I know you replaced the pump but check the output. Should be app 1 pint of gas into a container in less than 30 seconds. I had a restricted fuel line from tank to pump on my truck. Fuel would just barely trickle and had to replace the line.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
69chevy lwb

The fuel pump is pushing plenty and the fuel line I replaced yesterday with no success the distributor is new and everything worked on it I set timing after installing and I tuned the carb with a vacuum gauge it runs good until you put a load on the engine then it starts with the cut out if you just rev the engine it is as smooth as can be no backfires, and no cut out but I will try the float and see I'm also going to pull plugs and see if I'm running rich like I'm loosing spark or flooding or lean like I'm loosing fuel at higher rpm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
cdowns

i'd try changin the fuel filter

also check those short rubber pieces in the fuel line for cracking and or if they are collapsing under load
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
69chevy lwb

well i solve the problem it turns out when i just had a pcv valve on the valve cover it was sucking oil into cylinders 3 and 4 and ruined the plugs i pulled them today and they were pretty bad a new set got it running great the picture is 6-1 going left to right