The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

It's gone

Seems to be a run on members getting and letting go trucks here,so it's time for mine. I was waiting for the attaching image issue to get right,but will use P-bucket...I hope.

I sold my tow truck a few weeks ago. I've been off & on with selling for maybe 6-7 years. I tried here and just got thumbs up. I only tried about once a year but tried Craigslist & some classic truck trading sites,too,which only came up with quirky buyers with crazy ideas who didn't appreciate it for what it was. I guess it mattered to me where it went from here and I wanted it to stay a tow truck. I always ended up deciding I really wanted it to stay. Well,a while back I decided I'd try to sell again. This time I was going to do some things to it and ask more. Funny how that seems to work. I figured it was all things I'd want done if I kept it,just finally was able to make it a priority. Carlisle Trucks was coming up and I figured I'd run it up there...to sell or at least make a good conversation piece. I was really stoked and looking forward to it.
Then,I decided maybe post it up on Craigslist before I got into it.I must have hit it right cuz I had three good "reasonable" buyers lined up right away. The 1st guy ended up being the one. He is up in Buffalo NY and has a friend in the next town over who came to look it over. He gave the thumbs up and a deposit was on it's way. The buyer agreed to come for it by the end of the month (July) and was here in a couple of weeks. His intentions are to pretty much run it as is and basically do the few things I wanted to do. He has built a couple mid-late '50s GM medium dutys into big pickups and is a real truck hot rodder.
So,my up/down back & forth on selling adventure is over,it's off my plate,and an empty spot has opened up.
Here it is on it's way out:

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: It's gone

You mention an empty spot, does that mean you plan to fill the spot? Do you have your eye on anything?

That visor is so distinctive on that tow truck, it really makes the truck in my opinion.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
FLDBRED

That "empty spot"...might that be in your heart?
FLDBRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Tim,
Now there is no excuse to get the 67 CST of mine! Lol good luck on the search for the next candidate!
Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Lots of folks selling these trucks it seems... Sorry to see her go but I'm sure something cool will fill her spot..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
treveiger

I remember when my dad sold his 71 when I was little. I was pretty mad I remember but my dad told me I didn't speak to him for two days . But as long as your happy with the price and stuff at least you have some free space at least right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
MusicMan70

Sounds like it went to the right Buyer.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Chrome8

Looks like you found a good home for the old girl. I always liked that wrecker, I've seen you post it a couple times over the years. I have one that's a 4x4 with the boom just mounted in the truck bed, not the same but I learned to drive in it and it's almost the same color as yours. Wreckers are cool, glad to hear it's going to stay a wrecker.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Well, it sucks to see it go but lets hope it continues to get the love it deserves
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
70cst

Nice read and

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
swamp rat

The good from this is it didn't go to someone who wants to just part it out for a profit, i know some are not worth saving because there wrecked or way too rotted, but the ones that are worth saving need to be restored.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,this guy knew what he wanted. He was good on my price and only asked about the body condition. The ad said it ran good/needs a little work. He knows it's not a restored or even a daily driver truck and that's where it was priced.
I had started it in the spring and it died before it warmed up. I forgot about that when I listed it,so I had to get to it! The history is...I was having an intermittent starting problem like 5 years ago. I went round and round with it and ended up with new battery,starter,cables,and rewiring all the primary starting circuit,fusible links,etc. By the time I nailed that problem the fuel funked up the carb. So,a rebuilt carb,purged tank,5 gallons of Cam2,and I figured my ethanol woes were over. That was spring '12. I didn't get to messing with it again till this spring when it died while warming up and would not start. The battery was fully charged after all winter even. This truck saw less than 100 miles of road while I had it and I had done a full tune-up when I got it. No spark and I had juice at both sides of the coil,so I replaced that. Still no spark. I already checked and set the points but I removed them and they didn't look so good. I guess just sitting they oxidized,so I got new points and condenser. This was down to the day before the guy came. It ran great and I took it for a spin. That made me wish he wasn't coming for a couple weeks so I could run it around more. The guy called and said he was about 1 1/2hrs out. I wanted to get a video of it sitting,starting it,then running up the road. Then I was going to have my son take a video of me running by the house. I go out with the camera,start the video,and get as far as me starting it,then stopped the camera. The truck was running like crap,all fluttery and rough! I look under the hood and the carb was spewing gas like a fountain. Oh boy...great! I took the inline filter out (plastic cheapo) and it had what looked like muddy water. I had noticed a stale gas smell when fussing with the ignition,but a wiff in the tank smelled like good ole Cam2. The in-carb filter looked fine but I replaced that. I took a new cheapo filter,hooked it up on the carb side,filled it with Sea Foam,hooked the line up,and cranked a second...just enough to get the Sea Foam in the carb. I poured the rest in the tank. I decided since the Cam2 was funky and still in there I'd go into town and get 5 gal. of hi-test and another can of Sea Foam. I poured all that in and by now the carb had that Sea Foam in it 1 1/2 hrs. I cranked it and it ran like a champ!! Boy,was I relieved? The guy showed up,it started right up,and I drove it onto his trailer. It is such a pain to have anything sit these days. Ethanol SUCKS!!
As far as the empty space...I've been reducing my fleet and trying to get my place tidied up. I just junked my old '91 Suburban a couple weeks prior. When I came on this site my signature had like 9 trucks in it,I think. I've gotten rid of a '72 SWB C/10,'71 SWB K/10,two '72 K/20s,'71C/20,,70 K/5,'72 K/5,'90 K/5,and this C/30. A lot has changed in my life and I'm good with having the two 67-72s covering 1st & last years and little 2wd & big 4wd. I'd like to get rid of this place and move somewhere better suited for gathering trucks. I still have urges and there was a 69/70 C/30 dump truck I had my eye one,but as soon as my wrecker sold it was gone. I'd get more use out of that for my business and I could keep it at my buddies farm...had I gotten it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #13
cleanfreak

I thought I saw it for sale again on cl buffalo.... buyers remorse?
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
Mint68

Kind of silly, a dodge towing a chevy tow truck! Its sad to see them go sometimes, but its pretty good when you bring a new one home.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
I thought I saw it for sale again on cl buffalo.... buyers remorse?
I don't think so. When he was here he did say something about "not doing much to them" and "doesn't keep them long",so I figured he might be flipping it up north. That's why I decided not to mention the fuel issues,anything else,or mention this site while he was here. I guess it's was a song & dance he gave me when buying. Just part of his routine. He gave me my price and I made out just fine. I'm curious how much he is asking,after the 10 hour round trip and fuel cost. I was thinking for a guy from Buffalo this is far enough south to grab vehicles in better condition to flip up north. That would be why he only asked about rust and probably all his friend looked for. That guy came by when I wasn't here.

Tim

Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
rsavage

Glad you were able to sell it Tim. I havent seen it on Buffalo Craigslist up here and I look on it everyday. In any event, someone else will get to enjoy an old truck which is a good thing.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

I hope whoever ends up with it appreciates what it is. These are things of days gone by like all the other petrobilia people collect. To me,they are the crown jewel. Most stations,shops,and dealerships had their own and what a fine piece to accent your vehicle collection. Things have changed and now it's pretty much towing & recovery or transport companies doing the job. The next guy in line was more local and I'm sure he would have bought it. I kept in touch even after the deposit arrived and until the truck was actually gone. He was here in Maryland and has a towing & recovery business. He wanted to fix it up and set it out front of his shop. I kinda have seller's remorse because he's the one I would have liked to have sold it to.

Here's the farewell video I started. Man,I have to learn to shut up when I take video
vvv CLICK THIS vvv

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I feel for ya tim. The 69 BB truck in my siggy just went to a new home also. I had it at a local car show and just threw a price on it for fun and had 2 people wanted it right away and it was sold within a 1/2 hour!
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I would really miss that! I have come around to accepting I just can put trucks together like a used to. I took that for granted and figured that would always be my way of life. But after years going by with so little done on my "focus" vehicles I've come around to the thinking of probably most people and just have the two to do up and keep up. I don't have room for a big shop or garage to park restored trucks in and that held me back from starting some...and just gathering parts. I had a shop elsewhere for years but had to let it go about 5 years ago. So everything's been sitting here...outside. The wrecker was going to be my transporter from shop to home and visa-versa. If it was a C/60 I think I would have hung on to it. That's what would be perfect for hauling my light duties. When I sell this place I want more land laid out so I can put a shop/junkyard out back,keep the house looking nice from the road,and have a nice carriage house-type garage by the house for parking. I build for a living and I want my own dream place just the way I want it and do the trucks right! I guess I'm getting older and want my place to be a bit more classy. My vehicles have overpowered my house for the 27 years I've lived here.
Here's how it looks now:

Tim

Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
duallyjams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Tim,
Now there is no excuse to get the 67 CST of mine! Lol good luck on the search for the next candidate!
Mike
Posted via Mobile Device
Well Tim time $h!t or get off the pot, beside I could use some of the parts for my 67.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Tim, I live up near Buffalo, along with rsavage. Actually, we are only about 10-minutes apart. I'll also keep an eye out for it. Just curious... do you recall the town that he was from near Buffalo?

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

I know just how you feel K, how does one get so attached to something like an old truck. I have had sellers remorse about selling one that has rust holes you could throw a cat through. None the less I take pictures of it going out the driveway until its clear out of sight, I thought I was the only one that did that. Sorry for your loss.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #23
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

That looks like it was a very nice wrecker. Glad it found a good home.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
wkends

Congrats on your sale. I have towed alot of cars and trucks on a open trailer and if he towed your truck 10 hours with his truck and trailer I bet that was a ride. It is never good when what you are towing is bigger than your tow truck.. White knuckles and tight butt cheeks.........
wkends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
HSRACER

Congrats on the sale. I sent your for sale info to two of my friends on your behalf last time you had it in the for sale section. They didn't want to drive from Texas to get it.

I know it is hard to see them go but if it sat long enough to not run well it was probably time to move it out.

Hope you are not to sad.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote