The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
NC_John

Scope Creep - one thing leads to another.....

I know I'm preaching to the choir but I just have to vent....These 'effin trucks...

When I ordered my first set of parts for Blu last week I saw GMCPaul had "made in the USA" dash pads for a pretty reasonable price so I added one. My original blue one was trashed and looked terrible.

Well, it came in yesterday so after work I got to real work taking the original tore up pad off. I didn't realize so much of the dash had to come apart.

In the process of getting the old one off I busted the original cardboard glovebox while trying to remove it. Not surprising.

Then when I got the old pad off I noticed how lousy the dash looked between the pad and the windshield. That won't do. Start scrubbing to get it ready for paint. In that process I broke one of the defroster vents (brittle original plastic) and then the hose came apart under the dash (add those to the parts list now).

I'm painting the dash between the pad and windshield black with plasti-dip (http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip) to match the new dash pad. The wonderful thing about plasti-dip is if I want to go back to blue I can literally just peel this stuff off.

So the dash will look fresh and the delaminating windshield (all white at the bottom) will look like awful so I'll have to start looking for someone that can do a good job installing a new one. Sigh...more money. Then the instrument cluster will look tired compared to everything else. Then the rush will be on to get a nice steering wheel in there because the one in there now will look even worse.

With the interior gutted one of my seatbelts fell (just a couple inches) and the plastic cover broke on the floor. Sigh again. Need to order a set of seatbelts. Going to black anyway but this is ahead of schedule... The new carpet will make the seat and doorpanels look like crap. One thing leads to another....

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
TacBlade

Re: Scope Creep - one thing leads to another.....

I here you!! Just did and engine swap and this and that and that and this had to be changed or fixed or replaced!!! Its never ending!!
Posted via Mobile Device
TacBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Superdrag67

I pretty much did the exact same thing. The old dash pad was just disintegrating so i wanted to remove it. Broke a vent and destroyed the glove box. Decided to take apart the gauges and clean them up. When i did i found the printed circuit board is bad alonf with one of the gauges.

Started thinking i should order this thing, then might as well order this and that since it's all apart. My goal is not to be working on this thing for months while it sits. Decided i don't want to dive into the interior now. It's easy to fix up but will easily turn into a 1k project which i don't have right now. Think i am going to just put the guage cluster back together and just ignore the broken crap for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Scope Creep - one thing leads to another.....

And that's why we love our trucks. The more you do to it the more it wants, like petting your dog. The more you pet the more they want to be peted!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
And that's why we love our trucks. The more you do to it the more it wants, like petting your dog. The more you pet the more they want to be peted!
Good analogy!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdrag67 View Post
I pretty much did the exact same thing. The old dash pad was just disintegrating so i wanted to remove it. Broke a vent and destroyed the glove box. Decided to take apart the gauges and clean them up. When i did i found the printed circuit board is bad alonf with one of the gauges.

Started thinking i should order this thing, then might as well order this and that since it's all apart. My goal is not to be working on this thing for months while it sits. Decided i don't want to dive into the interior now. It's easy to fix up but will easily turn into a 1k project which i don't have right now. Think i am going to just put the guage cluster back together and just ignore the broken crap for now.
Posted via Mobile Device
my mindset (which needs to be corrected) is "well, since I have it apart, I don't want to put these old parts back on which I am going to replace anyway...." And that's when the bank account starts to shrink.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Bhelton

I may have some decent defrost vents if interested, if I do you can have them for free
Posted via Mobile Device
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
I may have some decent defrost vents if interested, if I do you can have them for free
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man! I am going to check out Dixie Truck Parts in Mt. Pleasant shortly. I need an excuse to go to their place and check out what they carry. If I strike out, I'll let you know!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Thanks man! I am going to check out Dixie Truck Parts in Mt. Pleasant shortly. I need an excuse to go to their place and check out what they carry. If I strike out, I'll let you know!
Dixie had them. I got a pair for $12. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Lee H

I here ya. Last summer my simple reshoot turned into a full frame off, nut and bolt restoration.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I here ya. Last summer my simple reshoot turned into a full frame off, nut and bolt restoration.
I'm kind of afraid of that. I just wanted a driver to tinker with. I did such a good job cleaning the frame and undercarriage this past weekend that now it needs paint. How do I just paint the frame? The suspension will have to be done, rear-end, then the engine will look lousy. Have to do under the hood, cab and bed.... One small step leads to a massive project any direction you go.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
PatrickGMC70

Just like pulling on a thread...
Posted via Mobile Device
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
swamp rat

Quote:
Dixie had them. I got a pair for $12. Thanks!
Did ya buy new black repops?

I cant help but smile reading your post because i'm just now putting my dash back together after the original project if installing a new stereo and defroster hoses, that lead to a new dual voice coil dash speaker, light switch, wiper delay, and a just recently torn glove box replacement while removing it to facilitate the radio install and some wiring ect, also looking for new defroster vents as mine are now cracked and brittle... It loves to be petted...

EDIT, Forgot to add.... In order to wire up the new dash speaker i had to run wires to my amp under the seat, which also meant pulling the seat out lifting the carpet, then paying for an operators manual download for the amp because i couldn't find the manual, it was necessary due to the bridging features and i was going from a 2 speaker to 4 speaker setup.. One thing leads to another..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 08-13-2013 at 07:42 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Superdrag67

Quote:
my mindset (which needs to be corrected) is "well, since I have it apart, I don't want to put these old parts back on which I am going to replace anyway...." And that's when the bank account starts to shrink.
I'm the same way and it took everything i had to throw the gauges back together this morning and put them back in the truck but i did it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Daddy Brim

I know just what you mean. It seem like when I take something apart, There is something behind it that need to be fixed. I look at it this way, if I fix it now it will not haft to be fixed later. At some point I should be done.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote