The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
mgeez

What is this?

I just received a "Glass Channel Kit" from Chevs of the 40s. These little "clips" and very small screws came with it.

The description of the kit is as follows:
"These are super complete and include sweepers, rigid channel, flexible channel, stops, screws, clips, & rubber bumpers as needed".

1st and 2nd pic - Can someone tell me what these "clips" are used for?

3rd pic - I assume these little screws are whats needed to hold the flexible channel in place once I fit it in the channel?
Attached Images

My toys: 1951 Chevy Truck 3600, 1952 Chevy Truck 3800, 1954 Case 411B, 1939 Ford 9n, 1972 Kubota B7100
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/m_geesey/library/
mgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
oldcouple

Re: What is this?

The first one in your hand is the clip that fits in the sweeper, look inside the window sill, you will see holes, press the clips rounded button side into the hole, then position the sweeper with some tape and press it into the spikes of the clip.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
mgeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
The first one in your hand is the clip that fits in the sweeper, look inside the window sill, you will see holes, press the clips rounded button side into the hole, then position the sweeper with some tape and press it into the spikes of the clip.
Please excuse my ignorance! This is my first attemt at inner door parts! I hope my terminology is correct and this is in fact the "sweeper" portion of the door. I am definately not "up to speed" with door terminology! I am still confused what are "cat whiskers", windlace, etc. Different catalogs call the same piece different names. This is the most confusing part, so far, with my restoration. I imagine when I do the rewiring, that will be worse than the doors!

There are definately no holes anywhere at the sweeper portion of the sill. The holes in the below pic are holes i drilled to remove the spotwelds so I could remove, I am assuming, the groove that holds the sweeper rubber piece. I dug out most of the old hardened rubber, but could not figure how to get the new rubber in the channel, so I removed the piece from the sill and wirebrushed it. I know there is a gap in the groove and I probably could have cut the rubber in 2 pieces and fed each piece in, but I did not want a "cut in half" rubber seal! My plan is to install the sweeper in the groove and re-spot weld it in place. I guess these clips will not be used.

Am I doing this the right way, or am I missing something?
Attached Images

My toys: 1951 Chevy Truck 3600, 1952 Chevy Truck 3800, 1954 Case 411B, 1939 Ford 9n, 1972 Kubota B7100
http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/m_geesey/library/
mgeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
oldcouple

Sorry, what I described is for the Taskforce trucks, mid 55-59, did not notice what year you were working on. Those clips fit those years. Urethane glue will stick anything in place, but it is messy, lots of masking tape will be your friend. Spray contact cement will work, but will dry out over time.