The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
john69

Fuel gauge help

I AM NEW HERE I NEEED HELP WITH SOME GAUGES . MY FUEL GAUGE IS NOT WORKING OR IS THE AMP METER. NEED HELP TROUBLE SHOOTING IT THE TUCK IS 1969 C10. WHERE DO I START. OR POINT ME TO M SOME THREADS THAT WILL HELP
john69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Nathans71

Re: Fuel gauge help

Welcome to the board.

Start with the basics. Fuse box (underdash). If fuse is blown, there is a ground in the system. The wire that goes to the fuel sender is a brown wire that runs down under the sill plate on the drivers side and then up to the tank. Just check the condition of the wire (most are ok, but can be frayed and then of course ground out, blow fuse). Then check your connection to the fuel sender (on the fuel tank). Factory cardboard covers the tank and may have to be removed and possibly the seat. And of course the gauge itself can be bad.

Take your time.

If the sender ends up being bad, they are available from all the major parts suppliers and even some big chains now. It's installation is another story and I am sure others will chime in to help if that is the case (I have replaced 2).

Amp meter has an inline fuse underhood that you will have to trace down. Checking to see if your alternator is performing properly will give you a base knowledge about the system. Then trace the wires from the back of the alternator. You will come to a connection point that encases a fuse. Fuse may simply be shot or missing. Going over each wire carefully will help insure that you have a safe and functioning system. Remember these wiring harnesses are over 40 years old. They may have been mistreated or shorted out for any number of reasons causing some of your problems.

Good luck with your new project.

Last edited by Nathans71; 08-13-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: To give complete response.
Nathans71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
john69

Re: Fuel gauge help

THANKS NATHANS 71 I WILL START THERE. THIS FOURM IS GREAT PLACE
john69 is offline   Reply With Quote