The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
Truck Guy99

How hard is it?

I've found a couple of trucks I'm interested in but want more power. Found an AD and TF truck. Roughly the same price. I want to put in a Chevy 350 carbed motor and transmission from a square body Chevy I found cheap. 2wd manual. How difficult would this be?

Let me know if I missed anything

Not necessarily in this order but,
Remove motors from donor truck and candidate truck

Modify motor mounts

Modify transmission tunnel to accommodate new shifter and transmission

Convert truck to key start

Wire in starter, alternator, battery, and ignition

Hook up all gauges

Have driveshaft made

Wire fuel tank pump in and fuel lines

Wire headlight switch, dimmer switch, stop turn and taillight

Hook up go pedal, brake cables, clutch, and e brake
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: How hard is it?

You might want to have moderators move this into the regular fourm instead of sub-forum for " projects & builds ".

In answer to your question the Chevy V-8 was first introduced in trucks in 1955 so it would be easier to set up a TF Truck for what your trying to do. Mechanical ability and budget is something you have to consider when you are contemplating a build. Look at everyones build and ask yourself can I weld, body work paint , over haul a motor, brakes etc.... Sometimes if the job is beyond your talents save and buy a project that is almost completed just needs paint and upholstery. Good luck and never be discouraged just do it!
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
You might want to have moderators move this into the regular fourm instead of sub-forum for " projects & builds ".
I agree. Moved

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Zach B

In reality is as hard as you make it. You can go out and buy every mount made for every truck. The real difficulty is making it all fit without changing wheel base. I know people have standards in trucks that are made to go fast when standards all there was. An automatic will fit too. Your real issue is finding drive shaft. Even then if you know where to go and who to talk to you can figure out the correct length and everything. It's all out there. Make your own stuff or buy it. If you don't like something change it. Ask questions and I'm sure somebody will have an answer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
mr48chev

I'd say you had better go Task Force as they are already built to take a V8. No clearance problems with the steering is the main reason but as they already have open drive that saves the hassles of having to swap rear ends.

I'd suggest buying after market crossmembers to hold the engine and trans. They run around 70 dollars or so each depending on where you get them and solve the engine and trans mounting deal pretty well. If you are running a stick rather than an an automatic you can run the cast iron truck bellhousing with the mounts that bolt to the crossmember and save a lot of work.

Personally I'd get the donor engine running and squared away in the donor truck. Sort it out and get all of the kinks out before you pull it out of the donor. That way you know that the engine works right and the trans works right and avoid the hassles of trying to make them work after the transplant. That way you know that the starter works good, the alternator charges like it should, the carb works like it is supposed to and the ignition works like it is supposed to. No getting on the board in the middle of the night to hope one of "those guys who answer questions right" to help figure out why this or that isn't doing what it is supposed to.

I believe that the "automatic trans" ignition switch is set up so you can start the truck with the key. There is also the option of keeping the original switch and installing a push button to operate the starter.

Most of the list can be done on the "new" truck before you ever pull the engine out of the donor. All of the wiring, brakes and other things that don't directly relate to the installation of the engine can be done beforehand.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

I can't believe no one has mentioned the closed drivetrain of the AD trucks yet! The short version of what that means is you'll need to change rearends too. I THINK (I'm not an AD guy so not certain) that the '54's and '55.1's have an open drive train?? But they have a different grill than the earlier AD's - if you care.

To the OP, either is very doable but I will side with those that advise going for a Task Force truck as easier. Plenty of elbow grease will be required either way.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
Zach B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I can't believe no one has mentioned the closed drivetrain of the AD trucks yet! The short version of what that means is you'll need to change rearends too. I THINK (I'm not an AD guy so not certain) that the '54's and '55.1's have an open drive train?? But they have a different grill than the earlier AD's - if you care.

To the OP, either is very doable but I will side with those that advise going for a Task Force truck as easier. Plenty of elbow grease will be required either way.
Actualy 54 was still closed. Yes you have to change the rear end but the best thing to do is levee to transmission on the drive shaft with the rear end on the other end. The frame will almost lift off it without a problem assuming you have the body off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote