The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
NC_John

Unhappy Bummed about "blu"

Crawling around the truck yesterday, working on my punch list, I found that my cab corners are a lot softer than I first thought.

Patina or not, I'm going to have to get them taken care of. I can't keep putting money into new shiny stuff when the bottom isn't solid.

I've got a friend that restores exotics (actual Shelby cobras, true gt-40s, etc.) that I can probably get some help from. (I've got another buddy who owns a regular body shop but he might be too production minded- the other guy will do it right rather than fast). I know ideally the cab should come off for these repairs but if I do that the truck will turn into a frame off which I do not want to get into right now.. Can the corners and rockers be done with just the bed off and the cab left on the frame?

I could probably buy a mig too (which I need anyway) and attempt it myself, using my buddy for tech support and guidance.....

I need to do both cab corners, probably bolster the cab supports in the back corners, both outer rockers and maybe tighten up the bottom of the kick panels if I'm doing the other stuff anyway.

I have a big power plant outage I am working next month where I can accumulate some extra cash to fund most of this. Nuts. I knew I was doing it sooner or later but I was hoping it was going to be later.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
WIDESIDE72

Re: Bummed about "blu"

Youcan do the cab corners and rockers with the can on and bed off. You will need to remove the doors. I suggest getting everything roughed in and rehanging the doors before final welding to be sure everything lines up betide final welding. Inlike the idea of buying a mig and getting your buddy to help (if he's willing). That way you learn something and have a new tool after the project is over!
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
tsali39

I got BodyCraft in Spencer to do my rockers and corners. I am pleased with the work. We took the bed and doors off.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Youcan do the cab corners and rockers with the can on and bed off. You will need to remove the doors. I suggest getting everything roughed in and rehanging the doors before final welding to be sure everything lines up betide final welding. Inlike the idea of buying a mig and getting your buddy to help (if he's willing). That way you learn something and have a new tool after the project is over!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can get some help.... I'm thinking the money I'm going to save on labor will pay for the tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsali39 View Post
I got BodyCraft in Spencer to do my rockers and corners. I am pleased with the work. We took the bed and doors off.
Out of curiosity, what did they charge you for that?

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote