The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
IntegratedTJ

Questions about engine rebuild.

So I got the engine out and on the stand and am starting to disassemble some things. We're doing a bit of a rebuild and were wondering what we'd need to know before ordering a rebuild kit. (Already planning to order oversized rings and pistons, what else do we need to look at before we order the kit?) 350 sbc, old as dirt. Don't think it's ever been rebuilt.

Also. Looking at a summit cam at the moment and was wondering if it'd work well for a nice sound and performance for the street. (Staying virtually stock with the 350.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su.../requiredparts

If not, can someone point me in the right direction as far as a cam goes? Thanks in advance.
IntegratedTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Questions about engine rebuild.

I'd take the block and crank to the machine shop before you order the kit. Two reasons:

First, make sure the block isn't cracked. No use putting new parts in a block that's cracked.

Second, you'll want to know how much oversize/undersize to order the pistons and bearings. The condition of the block and crank will dictate that.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote