The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
ncoonen

Winch for underbed spare

I searched a couple of times and came up with a couple of references to this idea from people who said they weer going to try it or did it. But, there are no specifics. Does anyone have pictures or suggestions for what parts might be best adapted to this task?

I remember the old-style long arm carrier that had to be loosened and swung out in order to load or unload the spare. Those were awful when brand new and you had a real chance of being injured if you weren't careful (and strong). The cable winch style spare carriers are much nicer. I have looked at a few styles for my '63 long fleet but am hoping for that someone has blazed this trail. My truck probably had the original underbed carrier years ago but it's long gone now.

Thanks!...ned.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Re: Winch for underbed spare

I would look at a later model C10 or S10's for a winch.. If you don't have a crossmember in place to mount it, you may need to add one.. With the later models you usually have a hole above or next to the license plate for the bar/jack rod to go into to operate it. There is also a tube for the bar to slide in to align it..

Look around your local bone yards and see what you can find.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoonen View Post
I searched a couple of times and came up with a couple of references to this idea from people who said they weer going to try it or did it. But, there are no specifics. Does anyone have pictures or suggestions for what parts might be best adapted to this task?

I remember the old-style long arm carrier that had to be loosened and swung out in order to load or unload the spare. Those were awful when brand new and you had a real chance of being injured if you weren't careful (and strong). The cable winch style spare carriers are much nicer. I have looked at a few styles for my '63 long fleet but am hoping for that someone has blazed this trail. My truck probably had the original underbed carrier years ago but it's long gone now.

Thanks!...ned.
My 98 Toyota 4Runner has a nice winch. However, it also needs a long rod to crank it. In the 4Runner the rod stores under the rear seat and is not in the way. I think it would be inconvenient to carry the rod inside the cab of a pickup and it might rattle around a lot. I'm sure there are many options out there. Someone just needs to show how they rigged theirs up. Pleeeeeeaase!

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I still have the original bottle jack, crowbar and folding rod to operate the jack under the seat. Was thinkin of putting in a winch and using the same rod that operates the bottle jack to operate the winch.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
1966shortwide

I worked at a ford dealership and got a take off and installed in my 66 put a small hole in bumper behind tag for the crank, work's very good. fit like it was made for it.i put a longer bolt and nut in tag hole thread's facing out and tightened that first on both holes then put tag on and then used wing nut's to secure tag , no wrench required to remove tag to get to hole for cranking down spare.Ihave a full faced aftermarket type bumper on mine , which you may have a different bumper than me.

Last edited by 1966shortwide; 08-19-2013 at 09:58 PM.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
1966shortwide

this the bumper i have, spare tuck's up nice under there , a whole lot easier to drop spare .
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
MusicMan70

I think for a stock-ride-height truck; it would be fine. My suburban is lowered a little; if I get a flat in the rear tires, accessing that spare would be difficult. My intention is to return to stock height or some thing in between my current drop coils.

There are write ups on some of the RV forums on electric winches. I chose to go with a chain version from I think a 1989 Toyota 4 runner (?). I had read that the cable types were failing and wanted something more sturdy.

61Fl-Apache was correct about adding a crossmember for support and to mount the winch on.

Lugnutz65 mentioned the long rod (12-16") which fits in the slot/keyway, and you turn to raise and lower chain.

This still has to be redone but should give some ideas. I used rubber coil spring helpers as tire stops. Tire size is 235x70x16
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
ncoonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
I think for a stock-ride-height truck; it would be fine. My suburban is lowered a little; if I get a flat in the rear tires, accessing that spare would be difficult. My intention is to return to stock height or some thing in between my current drop coils.

There are write ups on some of the RV forums on electric winches. I chose to go with a chain version from I think a 1989 Toyota 4 runner (?). I had read that the cable types were failing and wanted something more sturdy.

61Fl-Apache was correct about adding a crossmember for support and to mount the winch on.

Lugnutz65 mentioned the long rod (12-16") which fits in the slot/keyway, and you turn to raise and lower chain.

This still has to be redone but should give some ideas. I used rubber coil spring helpers as tire stops. Tire size is 235x70x16
This is exactly what I had in mind right down to the angle iron cross-piece to mount the winch on. Thanks so much for the pictures.

...ned.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
MusicMan70

Here is a rear shot and side shot for reference.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
MusicMan70

Forgot to mention that the reason I placed those bumpers towards the back was to give an opening area for keyway/rod access.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Lugnutz65

Come to think of it, my 1986 Nissan 720 (pre-hardbody mini-truck) has the chain style winch. I think the chain style would work best too.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
1966shortwide

no extra bracket needed for mine bolted in between existing rail's of truck , goes all the way to top no opening needed to get rod in to release . Tube for rod is above tire. It pull's it tight , have no problem with cable at all used several time's, and cable is all secure and wrapped when tire is up, no rattling.Sealed mine before installing. the trouble you are hearing about these is that truck.s that were used in dirt and muddy off road condition.s would rust these ,and fill with dirt, mine don't get that mud condition and most truck's on this site won't either.Everyone has there own opinion's but i really like mine.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
ncoonen

I finally installed the Ranger pickup spare tire winch I found on ebay for a few dollars. I installed it at an angle to allow the crank to pass to the right of the license plate. Turns out that I probably could have installed it straight because the crank works about as well running under the bumper. It works with the stock C10 jack handle but would work much more easily if I ground the bent tip off the jack handle. It's nice to have that when positioning the jack but it doesn't mate well with the winch socket.

The winch is sitting on two 32" pieces of 1.25" x 1/8" angle iron attached to the frame rails with 3/8" bolts. The winch is attached to the angle with the bolts it came with.

I used a 1.5" hole saw to make a hole in the Z-section cross member for the crank socket to poke through. The winch came with a big plastic "funnel" on the crank socket that I removed. See the last picture.

...ned.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
1966shortwide

yep, get's tire as high as possible, work's great, and everything tight . Mine came off a f150 , design a little different but same principle.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
midnight rambler

nice modification ill have to try this one
midnight rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
geezer#99

While all you guys are searching the local used parts emporium, here's another good idea.
Look for the black cases found behind the seats in regular cabs and under the back seat in extended cabs.
THose little cases hold a jack, tire iron, ratchet handle and the long rod to turn your winch.
Cheap and easy to store!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote