The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
may bob

New Member Need Help

I just got a 1965 gmc stepside v-6 project need a lot of help #1 the truck has not been driven for 10 years motor is stuck I have taken he plugs out and filled pistons with deasel fuel letting it soak hope this will break it loose # 2
the left rear wheel locked up have no idea how to get it off does the brake hub come off or do I have to pull the axle. Which repair manuals would be best to buy for body repair , mechinal repair electric repair and what company to buy from? as you can see I am a poor speller is there a spell check on this site and how can I put on pictures at 74 I am a slow learner and a poor computer operator
thanks for any help I and get Bob
may bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
wayno

Re: New Member Need Help

Welcome Bob - the hub should definitely come off - likely just have some stuck shoes there... these guys will definitely hook you up with the resources to get you where you need to go - don't know a much better group of guys. Good luck on your build.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Hi Bob, welcome to the forum. I don’t have any history with stuck engines, so I’d suggest do a Google search on “how to free a frozen motor”. Here is a typical example with several different ideas:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/frozen-engine-2705.html

Does your truck have 6 lugs or 8 lugs? Once I know which axle you have I can scan the appropriate pages from the 1960 Truck Shop Manual and that will probably be helpful enough to get the thing apart.

By far the best overall manual I’ve purchased is a reproduction of the original GM Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual. It will help with all body, suspension, and electrical topics. I am not aware of any reproduction GMC manuals for a truck with the V6 engine. For assistance with that subject I would suggest joining the Jolly/GMC website, but only if you intend to keep the V6. The Jolly site is comprised of GMC V6 enthusiasts, so restorers are welcome, but engine swap guys are not. If you want to switch to a V8 (or anything else) the forum right here can offer the best information available.

The Jolly site seems to be going through some web changes but here is the link:

http://6066gmcguy.com/

If there is a V6 manual available the guys at Jolly’s will know and be able to direct you.

I buy most of my vintage parts from Classic Parts (formerly Chevy Duty). They offer high quality, fair pricing, and good customer service. If you choose to purchase the Chevy Manual, you will need the 1963 Shop Manual and the 1964 & 1965 Supplements to cover everything.

http://www.classicparts.com/Manuals/products/173/

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Rust=Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by may bob View Post
I just got a 1965 gmc stepside v-6 project need a lot of help #1 the truck has not been driven for 10 years motor is stuck I have taken he plugs out and filled pistons with deasel fuel letting it soak hope this will break it loose # 2
the left rear wheel locked up have no idea how to get it off does the brake hub come off or do I have to pull the axle. Which repair manuals would be best to buy for body repair , mechinal repair electric repair and what company to buy from? as you can see I am a poor speller is there a spell check on this site and how can I put on pictures at 74 I am a slow learner and a poor computer operator
thanks for any help I and get Bob
I had the same problem with the rear driver side drum when going threw my brakes. My problem was the park brake was stuck engaged and since i was replacing with all new bearings drums ect. i just beat it with a good ol BFH and a pry bar to pop it off. As for the engine why not just pluck it and check it out on a stand plus this will allow you to clean up the bay if its needed.
Rust=Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

marvel mystery oil is the best thing for a stuck piston or rust in the piston. I have seen diesel fuel used before but dont know the merits really.

I will 2nd the Classic Parts of Markeb01, I have used them for 25 years.

get the manuals, you will be glad you did, and dont forget the supplementary 64/65 like I did.

Oh and dont worry about the spelling, we all speak and read the hieroglyphics of one another fluently.

Good luck and Welcome!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
WhippinSaw

Mine sat for 21 years and I turned it by hand before using the starter. Mine did not have a bolt on the crankshaft to break off so I remove the three bolts on the Harmonic Balancer bolted on a Puller and stuck a crow bar between the bolts on the puller to wiggle it free and make sure it spun ok before using the starter. Besides squirting oil down the spark plugs, I also removed the distributer and used a hand drill to spin the oil pump. If you pull off the vavle cover (insert oil here to) and don't find it full of rust you have a pretty good chance of getting it moving.
Attached Images

WhippinSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
may bob

I have a 8 lug wheel Question there are two flat plugs that have a slot for a straight screw driver to screw them out do I have to get them out before the brake srum will come off
may bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Downlow2xfo

Should just pull off. I know that's easy to say but after 10 years of sitting its gonna take some effort! Save the v6 if possible they are work horse motors. I have a 305 v6 in my 1 ton and it cranked up and purred like a kitten after sitting since 1997. I even cranked it on the 16 year old gas lol good luck o by the way do you know what size v6?
Posted via Mobile Device
Downlow2xfo is offline   Reply With Quote