The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
DjS71

LQ4/4L80E Swap Question-a-palooza

Alright boys, been staring slack jawed at all this LS goodness and finally tripped over a wrecked 2001 pickup to steal from. I'm just about ready to pull the drivetrain (U-joints, trans mount & Cherry Picker to go...) So now its time to start thinking about piecing everything together.

I've read a ridiculous amount of threads and faqs and i think i may have over saturated my noggin, so here goes.
  1. In the event I decide I want some Thorley Swap headers, when does it make sense to go from 1.625 to 1.875 primary tube diameter?
  2. If I don't, has anyone seen a comparison featuring the Holley manifolds vs TBSS or Gen 5 Camaro?
  3. What do we think about this kit here + some adapter plates?
  4. Since we're talking motor mounts, are there any kits out there that feature the captive style mounts from the later trucks?
  5. Shifter? Have a 3OTT column now, can it be adapted to shift the 4L80 or do I need a different column / convert to floor shift?
  6. For the trans, the PRNDL switch connectors seem to be glued on so I'll have to buy a new switch and pigtails? Or does it not apply to the swap?
  7. I've got 3.08s in the rear now, what would you boys recommend for a rear gear ratio that would match up with the 4L80E and a 29" tire?
  8. I'd like to put a cam in it, while its out of the vehicle, just a little extra pep, nothing too radical as I want to leave the heads buttoned up so I dont have to shell out for new bolts. Suggestions? 100% street/highway.
  9. Tied into the last question, TQ Converter recommendations? I' have zero experience with a performance tq converter so im especially blind on this one.
  10. Anyone know a good Tuner and/or Harness guy out here in the Wine Country, +/- 75 miles or so?
  11. I read there are reasonable gains to be had with either a TBSS intake or a NNBS (GMT900?) intake. Enough to warrant looking for one? Aftermarket intakes are crazypants $$$ and not in the cards at the moment.
  12. Anyone adapted the Hydroboost setup from a 1999-2002 to a 67-72? Looked but could not find.
  13. I've got a Boyd's tank, and remember seeing a thread about some defective fittings that i should stay away from. Rough guess as to line length and filter recommendation?
  14. I've got the system with the return line, do I need a different regulator or can I use the one on the rail?
  15. When i popped the intake off, the runners look pretty oily, is this normal? If it isn't, I suspect the PO neglected his PCV system, is there anything i can do about it?

I'm absolutely positive I'm forgetting things but its a start. I'm sure some of this will have to be put off in the interest of actually getting the truck back up and running but at least I'll have this for reference.

Thanks, Gang.

Last edited by DjS71; 08-20-2013 at 03:22 PM.
DjS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: LQ4/4L80E Swap Question-a-palooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjS71 View Post
  1. In the event I decide I want some Thorley Swap headers, when does it make sense to go from 1.625 to 1.875 primary tube diameter?
  2. If I don't, has anyone seen a comparison featuring the Holley manifolds vs TBSS or Gen 5 Camaro?
    Most of the cast manifolds are going to flow about the same, usually its a price and fitment issue that decides it. None will be as free flowing as a tubular setup.

3. For the trans, the PRNDL switch connectors seem to be glued on so I'll have to buy a new switch and pigtails? Or does it not apply to the swap?
    I don't have a prndl indicator or digital cluster, so that piece was unused in my swap
  4. I've got 3.08s in the rear now, what would you boys recommend for a rear gear ratio that would match up with the 4L80E and a 29" tire?
    It will work with that ratio, but from the performance standpoint some go down to 3.73+since the o/d helps keep cruising rev's down.
  5. I'd like to put a cam in it, while its out of the vehicle, just a little extra pep, nothing too radical as I want to leave the heads buttoned up so I dont have to shell out for new bolts.
    Is this a question?
  6. Tied into the last question, TQ Converter recommendations? I' have zero experience with a performance tq converter so im especially blind on this one.
    Easiest thing to do is pick a cam, and tell the converter company about your setup, they should be able to give you a best range to look at.
  7. Anyone know a good Tuner and/or Harness guy out here in the Wine Country, +/- 75 miles or so?
    No one I ever met Temecula
  8. I read there are reasonable gains to be had with either a TBSS intake or a NNBS (GMT900?) intake. Enough to warrant looking for one? Aftermarket intakes are crazypants $$$ and not in the cards at the moment.
    I've heard so, but many of those conversations on ls1tech are all conjecture.
  9. Anyone adapted the Hydroboost setup from a 1999-2002 to a 67-72? Looked but could not find.
    I've got a 90's Astro van HB unit with an 05 HB Pump in a 66
  10. I've got a Boyd's tank, and remember seeing a thread about some defective fittings that i should stay away from. Rough guess as to line length and filter recommendation?
    The quick-connect Russell fittings with the plastic push on clips. They redesigned them with a screw-on retainer that can't pop off.
  11. I've got the system with the return line, do I need a different regulator or can I use the one on the rail?
    Use the on-rail reg
  12. When i popped the intake off, the runners look pretty oily, is this normal? If it isn't, I suspect the PO neglected his PCV system, is there anything i can do about it?
    Not uncommon. Clean it while its off the car, and run some seafoam through her once she's running. A catch can isn't a bad idea for some guys with loose rings gaps (old or turbo ), or those running very thin synthetic oils

I'm absolutely positive I'm forgetting things but its a start. I'm sure some of this will have to be put off in the interest of actually getting the truck back up and running but at least I'll have this for reference.

Thanks, Gang.
meow

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
DjS71

Thanks Chief, good info. I guess i was looking for a cam suggestion :P Brain is a little scrambled in the wee hours while workin' graveyard. That said... its bedtime.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Billett

As far as the DTs go just get the bigger set. They aren't Mich more expensive and then you won't have to buy a bigger set if you decide to upgrade later. They won't negatively impact performance on a street truck enough to notice and I would think a 6.0L would actually benefit even in mild form.

Use the on rail reg. I bought a better style filter/reg thinking it would make things easier but it isn't worth it. Now I'm out $30 and I need to buy some more line. The on rail reg works just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

some like the Z06 cam, or the GM Hot cam...more lift/dur depending on taste w/stall to match. get the big tube headers for performance mined build. keep in mind a small cam change will require a spring change, larger changes will add chromoly p-rods. A car rag showed Comp says its 216/220 ? is their most recommended/sold cam.

hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0909_gm_ls_engine_cam_test

my 6.0L has 223/231@.050 .610/.617 112LSA cam and 1 7/8" tube 3" collector headers and a 2800 stall. Can downshift/WOT at 50-55mph and spin 275's. Haven't had it to the track but know it will be fun...once I get a vibration fixed.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Jon01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjS71 View Post
Alright boys, been staring slack jawed at all this LS goodness and finally tripped over a wrecked 2001 pickup to steal from. I'm just about ready to pull the drivetrain (U-joints, trans mount & Cherry Picker to go...) So now its time to start thinking about piecing everything together.

I've read a ridiculous amount of threads and faqs and i think i may have over saturated my noggin, so here goes.
    If you're going to turn it much beyond 6,000 then get the big tube headers.
    Otherwise just get TBSS headers. Cheaper and fit just fine if you whack the ear off of the -80E
    I have not.
  3. What do we think about this kit here + some adapter plates?

Does your truck have the V8 stands in it? If so, just get some $40 Ebay plates and a CPP x-member for $80.
  4. Since we're talking motor mounts, are there any kits out there that feature the captive style mounts from the later trucks?
    IDK, not that I've used...
  5. Shifter? Have a 3OTT column now, can it be adapted to shift the 4L80 or do I need a different column / convert to floor shift?
    No, you'll need an automatic column and Lokar linkage kit.
  6. For the trans, the PRNDL switch connectors seem to be glued on so I'll have to buy a new switch and pigtails? Or does it not apply to the swap?
    PRNDL connector should come loose. If it's the big rectangle one it has a locking piece that goes up in from the bottom. Do some research then take after it with a flathead screwdriver.
  7. I've got 3.08s in the rear now, what would you boys recommend for a rear gear ratio that would match up with the 4L80E and a 29" tire?
    I put 4.10's in mine and it's right at home at 75. Much above 80-85 I start to feel it's turning some r's but with the h/c/i setup it's happy up in the band.
    I might put 3.73's in it but no lower numerically, the -80e has a very long 1st gear.
  8. I'd like to put a cam in it, while its out of the vehicle, just a little extra pep, nothing too radical as I want to leave the heads buttoned up so I dont have to shell out for new bolts. Suggestions? 100% street/highway.
    Depends what kind of stall converter you're going to put in it. Stock converter, a small cam. Looser converter, bigger cam.
    Talk to Martin @ Tick Performance, he will custom grind you something for $400 to do exactly what you want it to do with your combination.
    Get your gears and converter figured out for sure before though as that'll impact what he does.
  9. Tied into the last question, TQ Converter recommendations? I' have zero experience with a performance tq converter so im especially blind on this one.
    I have a Revmax 3600 in mine that does exactly what I want it to do and was reasonable($500 iirc).
  10. Anyone know a good Tuner and/or Harness guy out here in the Wine Country, +/- 75 miles or so?
    Not Wine Country but Bill @ BPAutomotive - http://www.bp-automotive.com
    He did my harness and it came out fantastic. No issues at all and he has been great to work with - taking calls @ 9:30 Friday night, 10:00 Sunday morning, etc...always personable and very willing to help.
  11. I read there are reasonable gains to be had with either a TBSS intake or a NNBS (GMT900?) intake. Enough to warrant looking for one? Aftermarket intakes are crazypants $$$ and not in the cards at the moment.
    Yes. Better yet, put an LS2/6/FAST on it.
  12. Anyone adapted the Hydroboost setup from a 1999-2002 to a 67-72? Looked but could not find.
    Dunno, I kept stock brakes on mine, they work fine.
  13. I've got a Boyd's tank, and remember seeing a thread about some defective fittings that i should stay away from. Rough guess as to line length and filter recommendation?
    No clue.
  14. I've got the system with the return line, do I need a different regulator or can I use the one on the rail?
    You can use the one on the rail or you can just run a C5 filter.
  15. When i popped the intake off, the runners look pretty oily, is this normal? If it isn't, I suspect the PO neglected his PCV system, is there anything i can do about it?
    Normal. Wouldn't sweat it. Mine are oily after ~1,000 miles.

Thanks, Gang.
Just MHO of course...
71 SWB C10 - LQ4+S476r
06 Duramax - LBZ - Exhaust, EFI Live, etc...
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
DjS71

Billett - Figured the 6.0 would be ok with the larger. On-rail-regulator seems to be the consensus. Thanks.

68GMCCustom - 10-4 on the spring change, and I hadn't seen that article before. Good info, albeit with an L92 Swap. Good luck with that vibration, eh?

Jon01 - Good wallet friendly call on the motor mounts. Shame I'll have to figure some more saving up for a column. PRNDL connectors ain't budging, i got the lock tabs off but if i pry any harder I'm definitely going to break something.... I guess that'll tell me which parts i need to get :P I'll look at it more closely when i get it out of the donor. That's 2 recommendations for both Tick and BP so far, I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Thanks everyone thus far, much obliged.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Take a heat gun to the PRNDL connector. It will come loose quickly.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
DjS71

Thumbs up Re: LQ4/4L80E Swap Question-a-palooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Take a heat gun to the PRNDL connector. It will come loose quickly.
I was thinking about that last night at work... It's definitely worth a shot.