The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
Lustle

Interior accessory electrical problems

Hey everybody,

I'll start by saying that I'm new to the forum. And new to GMC ownership. I've got myself a 1987 GMC R1500. Daily driver/project truck. I've got a few things on the way. Powder coat flat black 15x8 rally rims and new BF goodrich radial ta tires should be this week. Maybe some new 2" inch beauty rings in stainless.

As for now though. I have one problem I can't seem to figure out. In the interior. My dome light doesn't work. My horn doesn't work. And my aftermarket head unit resets every time I shut off the electrical, but still runs with the key turned. The cigarette lighter doesn't work. I've checked the bulb on the dome, its fine. Usually these things are on the same circuit aren't they? I've checked fuses. They are fine as well.

Any ideas? Anyone come across this before? Maybe just a ground that needs to be hooked up?

If this is somewhere else on the forum I apologize. I tried searching. I've seen people with the horn out. Or dome light out. But never all the accessories.

Thanks for any help.
Lustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
bilfman

Re: Interior accessory electrical problems

They are most probably unrelated. Dome light not working is often corroded door switches. Take them out, there is a wire on them so don't lose it. Clean it with some wd40 and a scotch pad, see how it works.

Cig lighter can be corrosion in the socket, check the wire in the back of the socket it is a hot +, see if there is power there.

Horn can be many things. First thing to check is run a jumper from the + side of the battery and hold it on the horn spade connector, if it goes, horn is ok. Start working back from there. You can also use a 12v tester and see if there is power to the connector on the horn.

There is a start for you.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #3
nheller76

I've got the same prob with my CD player, hope somebody has got an answer. BTW welcome this is the best place to get advise, I've rebuilt my entire drive train and the guys hear helped me do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

See my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=580013
nheller76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
1981Stepside

The head unit has two power supply wires - a switched power (red) and a constant power (yellow) The yellow wire keeps the radio presets and clock after the vehicle is turned off. It is more than likely disconnected, or not connected to a constant power source. The other alternative is that the head unit is faulty.

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Greenlee

If you think it's a ground issue, all of the inside the cab ground wires attached to prongs directly behind the A/C vent on the far driver side. They are actually attached to the emergency brake assembly if I remember correctly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981Stepside View Post
The head unit has two power supply wires - a switched power (red) and a constant power (yellow) The yellow wire keeps the radio presets and clock after the vehicle is turned off. It is more than likely disconnected, or not connected to a constant power source. The other alternative is that the head unit is faulty.
may want to check how it's "wired" in your truck
yellow is switched,orange from the lighter for memory
I suggest to run your own ground
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
1981Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
may want to check how it's "wired" in your truck
yellow is switched,orange from the lighter for memory
I suggest to run your own ground
Meh. Red, orange, yellow- either or. Lol. Once I wired the radio and it works I haven't looked at it since. Looks like the memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. That's what diagrams are for. Thanks motornut.
Posted via Mobile Device

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote